Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Humm,

I tend to say "take care" at the end of many conversations. Am I required to tell them what to take care of, or is it reasonable to assume that using either expression is simply a mild good wish and a friendly way to end a conversation?

Are we required to show a lot of concern in general conversation?
Yeah. And make sure to add the time of day. I mean c'mon. You say "take care" do you mean to take care this afternoon, tonight, what?

You might want to venture to the northeast, where , "Yeah. See ya," means someone really, really likes you!

And by the way, I say, "nice" and "cute" and I really mean it. I wonder how many people were making fun of me and I didn't know it?

God knows how long a couple of natives on here made fun of me and I thought they liked me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
Quote:
You might want to venture to the northeast, where , "Yeah. See ya," means someone really, really likes you!
I figure if someone bothers to speak to me, they like me well enough. I've had too many people hang up/walk away/walk by without even a nod!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:35 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,825,286 times
Some women here talk my ear off, then ignore me the next time I see them. Not very easy to make friends here. My friend and I keep getting told that aggressive or outgoing women (if you don't have a "soft & sweet" voice) are a turn-off to southerners. I find it hypocritical that those in the bible belt are so judgmental of a person's outside.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Some women here talk my ear off, then ignore me the next time I see them. Not very easy to make friends here. My friend and I keep getting told that aggressive or outgoing women (if you don't have a "soft & sweet" voice) are a turn-off to southerners. I find it hypocritical that those in the bible belt are so judgmental of a person's outside.
I agree. I wasn't agnostic until I lived here a few years. It pushed me right over the edge.

I speak very abruptly, but I'm kind of person that likes to smile and hug and do anything for you and by golly, I mean it. Too bad a few people want to think I'm a loudmouthed jerk from the northeast. It's just a few, though. At least that I KNOW of, if you know what I mean.

I think the church thing can be hard. I know the kids at school ask our daughter if she is a Christian, a lot. They also told her that Barack Obama kills little children. She told them off. It may be why no one showed up at her birthday party.

Both of us are not working now. I'm sick but my husband was pushed out of a shop because a family member needed a job. No warning, but it's understandable.

Blood is thicker than water, and if you don't have any family it can be rough. It's been like that my whole life.

So you would think that living in an area where there are a bunch of transplants would be better, but we did that in Florida and those people were outright rude or just ignored you.

I guess it's just hard to deal with "nice to your face people" that turn around and don't really like you at all. You're just not prepared.

I have found living here to be a joy and a struggle. But then again, most places are like that.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:05 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I figure if someone bothers to speak to me, they like me well enough. I've had too many people hang up/walk away/walk by without even a nod!
Isn't that the truth! Not so much here, but boy in some of the places I've lived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

LOL, that was pretty standard where I grew up.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:15 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Humm,

I tend to say "take care" at the end of many conversations. Am I required to tell them what to take care of, or is it reasonable to assume that using either expression is simply a mild good wish and a friendly way to end a conversation?

Are we required to show a lot of concern in general conversation?

Okay, ya'll have proven your point- i'm an anomaly because I expect manners to trumph slang.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:32 PM

253 posts, read 805,885 times
Default exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And sometimes "Bless your heart" really means "Bless your heart."

If you are quick with people and their nuances then it is easy. Southerners are full of nuances, which I love.

Anyway, let's give you an example:

I say, "My daughter's in the hospital."

SMG says, "Oh honey, bless your heart."

She really means it.

And sometimes it means we know that you are crazy/confused/a jerk, but we love you anyways.

My husband says, "Frank down the street was walking around his front lawn in his underwear, again."

I say, "Well bless his heart."

You'll catch on.
nothing else needs be said...this sums it up right nice!!!
now....sweet tea anyone???

Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
Hik, I speak very abruptly too. (And I was born here!) It throws most people off and I have a hard time making friends sometimes because of it, but it's just how I am. Don't ask me something if you don't want the truth. And I don't do a lot of prefacing or beating around the bush.

I really detest the family/good old boy network in place in the South. I'd much prefer to live somewhere where people actually evaluate you based on your own personality and/or accomplishments rather than who your cousin's brother is .Know what I mean?

Old 04-16-2009, 04:18 PM

345 posts, read 1,016,191 times
I think that's a sweet thing to say. I don't understand why anyone would be offended by that at all.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:36 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Okay, ya'll have proven your point- i'm an anomaly because I expect manners to trumph slang.
Hi,

OK, how would someone exhibiting "good manners" close a conversation?

Include how they would wish someone well without being specific, as they may be someone they do not really know?

There is a difference between "slang" and less than perfect grammar as well, though they are related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville