Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:58 AM

393 posts, read 1,880,801 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have some questions about Maryville, I am considering a transfer there. I am a little concerned about the traffic and the rental figures! Is there anyone out there that knows the area well that I could talk too!

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 02:45 AM

257 posts, read 1,080,901 times
I have similar questions, I am also wondering if anyone on this board lives in Maryville! or is familiar enough with it to fill us in on the area.......

I am wondering too about traffic, since it is so close to the Smokey's esp affordability. The houses and apartments I have seen online seem reasonable to me comparatively speaking. I am also wondering if things get more expensive the closer u get to lets say Sevierville and Townsend.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:22 PM

95 posts, read 569,150 times
apparently no one lives here! just kidding, I have been lurking on this post to learn more about it as well.
I have heard it is a really nice more affluent type of suburbia town...but I don't know much about it. Hope someone replies for you

Old 04-18-2007, 07:50 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
I'm surprised that no one has answered this. So I'll take a stab at it!

I don't live in Maryville, but I've been through there quite a bit on my way to/from the Smokies.

There can be quite a bit of traffic in Maryville because it's on the main highway to the back entrance to the Smokies (Townsend). The Knoxville airport is also right next to Maryville.

A previous poster said something like she was disappointed in downtown Maryville, and I can understand that. It doesn't have the quaint downtown square like you find in other comparably-sized Tennessee towns such as Athens, Greeneville, or Cookeville. But it's far from being run-down, and in fact it's experiencing a bit of a mini-renaissance. Tomato Head, a popular downtown Knoxville eatery, is opening a location in downtown Maryville.

Maryville is booming, there's construction all over town. There are some nice, older, historic neighborhoods in the middle of town, and there are some McMansion-type developments on the outskirts of town, and there's everything in between. About the only stores that Knoxville has that Maryville doesn't have are Best Buy and Sam's Club, otherwise there's almost no need to leave Maryville to shop in Knoxville.

The Maryville city school system is outstanding, easily one of the best in the state. Outside of the city is the Blount County school system, and it's also highly rated.

People from Maryville seem to be very proud of their city, and I think for good reason. It's a very desirable area. It's clean, it's prosperous, it's full of churches and neighborhood ballparks, and it's within earshot of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Those are my impressions of Maryville. I hope I've answered some of your questions.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2007, 02:44 AM

393 posts, read 1,880,801 times
Wow, thank you for the info...........So, I am wondering if the airport traffic is going to be a problem along with the traffic traffic.......hhhmm, maybe gave me something to be concerned about.

I love the cute little parks, and the great library Maryville has that is an awesome asset to a city. Looks like the downtown is really getting a facelift.

It is so hard to visit a place and see all the great aspects of it, and then live there and find out it is noisy, and congested, crowded......But, I guess that is part of relocation, u never know what is around the corner do you?

Hoping someone that lives there daily will see this to answer the traffic and airport questions.....But if not I appreciate all the help u have given me JMT, that was sweet!

Old 04-19-2007, 06:55 AM

83 posts, read 402,887 times
We just got back from Maryville, we are looking to relocate also. We found Maryville to be as described as above. The airport is in Alcoa, which is next to Maryville and we did not see and impact on traffic unless you went over that way. In fact coming from orlando, The traffic really is nothing, I guess it dependson where you come from. But we did not sit for any length of time anywhere. Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg where very congested but driving through Townsend was smooth sailing. Now its not summer yet and I have a feeling it will get busy. I guess there is a lot of people who tube down the river. Downtown Maryville is being worked on and will be very cute when they are done. We drove by schools that are beautiful. There was plenty of affordable housing. Again the traffic for us would not be a problem if you come from somewhere with immense traffic like us. We loved Maryville, the Drive in Theater is awesome!!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 07:42 AM

23,014 posts, read 34,374,307 times
What about jobs in Maryville? Anyone know about that?

Old 05-02-2007, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 9,280 times
Default I live in Maryville

I live in Maryville. The traffic isn't too bad, but it has gotten worse over the years. This town is just too small for how quickly it is growing. I remember a time where I would ride around town and hardly pass any cars. Now, not so much

Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,779,594 times
Just visited Maryville this past weekend and felt the same about traffic and appearence. We also live in a more congested area and it was also much easier to get around in it years ago when we first moved here. I have the feeling many places around the USA are all in the same boat judging by what we have seen as we have traveled recently. We are hopeful that we'll find out little piece utopia in the vicinity of Maryville anyway!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:59 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,716 times
We, too, just visited M'ville this past weekend. What a relief from traffic as we usually face in the Orlando area! Also, what a difference when folks truly go out of their way to help, answer questions, show patience and courtesy. We WILL be calling M'ville home shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville