Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I am a little late to this thread but I wanted to respond. I an an east TN native (born and bred in the Tri Cities) and have lived in West Knoxville (Farragut) as well as Texas and Pittsburgh PA and have called Maryville home for 4 years now. If I can help anyone or answer any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards.
We are looking to relo from Montana and my wife is wondering where around the Maryville/Knoxville area we can go to be close to the smokies,good schools semi-rural. I have looked at Mapquest and then realtor sites and the realtor sites don't really list the towns in the foothills that mapquest shows. We don't need a lot of land (I am tired of taking care of it) but we are really trying to stay out of subdivisions with HOA. She wants to work for the school district again (bus and food) and it doesn't matter if we need to drive a bit.
The only thing that is starting to concern me is the amount of people moving there, it seems florida will be empty soon and they will all be there! I am sure there will be houses left but the thought does cross one's mind..... We are lightly familiar with the area, we used to do weekend trips from Atlanta to Pigeon forge area as well as furniture row and Chattanooga.
Thanks to all for the info.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 08:15 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We are looking to relo from Montana and my wife is wondering where around the Maryville/Knoxville area we can go to be close to the smokies,good schools semi-rural. I have looked at Mapquest and then realtor sites and the realtor sites don't really list the towns in the foothills that mapquest shows. We don't need a lot of land (I am tired of taking care of it) but we are really trying to stay out of subdivisions with HOA. She wants to work for the school district again (bus and food) and it doesn't matter if we need to drive a bit.
The only thing that is starting to concern me is the amount of people moving there, it seems florida will be empty soon and they will all be there! I am sure there will be houses left but the thought does cross one's mind..... We are lightly familiar with the area, we used to do weekend trips from Atlanta to Pigeon forge area as well as furniture row and Chattanooga.
Thanks to all for the info.......
There are lots of great areas here. From what you are describing I would suggest either Blount County. Alcoa and Maryville cities are within Blount County, however, it is a huge county with lots of beautiful vistas, neighborhoods without HOA's, raw land, etc. Here is a link to a list of cities in TN from this website: //www.city-data.com/city/Tennessee.html
The area near the Cumberland Mountains is also very beautiful with lots of land available. Cumberland Gap, Rugby, etc. deserve to be checked out.

From the posts here you would think that the place is becoming overrun with "outsiders" but that is not the case. There is still a lot of land and local governments are working toward preserving the culture. Also, it is natural during vacations for people to fantasize about moving here and talk it up; but only a fraction truly relocate. This area, like many others, is growing as our population continues to increase.

Montana is gorgeous from pictures I have seen, I am curious as to why you are looking to leave there? Is there a family draw to move here or did you live in the southeast previously?

Kind regards.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:06 PM

24 posts, read 58,126 times
I did live in Maryville - well, outside of it in Blount County nearer to Greenback than Maryville. But I visit a friend there often.

There really isn't a lot of traffic IN Maryville. The state routes that are back-roads to the Townsend/Gatlinburg area are the main streets through Maryville. But the Interstate-40 doesn't go near Maryville.

A Maryville-Lifetime-Local might have a different perspective, but most tourists avoid the smaller cities unless they are specifically targeting Maryville. The main highway from Knoxville (US 129) is a 4-lane divided road that gets some crazy drivers - if there is an accident, everyone rubbernecks to cause a long tie-up of traffic. But, it's no worse than highways in bigger Northern cities (Lakeside Dr - Chicago, several - Cleveland, etc.). The airport traffic noticeably stops at the airport......it's easy cruisin beyond there. (Doesn't affect Maryville or Alcoa).

For jobs - look up Denso Mfg, or Alcoa Aluminum, plus there is a mall, a college, a hospital, and smaller businesses. I think Denso makes electronic components.

Welcome to DENSO Manufacturing Tennessee

:: The Daily Times ::

Last edited by adanVdo; 06-10-2007 at 02:40 PM..

Old 06-10-2007, 06:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Montana is gorgeous from pictures I have seen, I am curious as to why you are looking to leave there? Is there a family draw to move here or did you live in the southeast previously?

Kind regards.
Thank you for the info, it is beautiful here, we are outside Glacier park (about 10 miles away) but the low (real low) pay and the lack of different jobs not to mention the winter is 9 months long is driving our relo. We have lived in northern Atlanta and North Carolina. We miss the south, the polite people, the FOOD, pretty much more disaplined kids and I miss the heat. We can get on 4 wheelers in our garage and within 15 minutes be on our own out in the woods. They license 4 wheelers here so you can ride on the street wherever you want to go. The main thing is -40 is really hard on my body and gloomy for a month at a time is depressing... The best days other than summer is if it is about 28-30 with snow on the ground and sunny...

Old 06-10-2007, 06:49 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Thank you for the info, it is beautiful here, we are outside Glacier park (about 10 miles away) but the low (real low) pay and the lack of different jobs not to mention the winter is 9 months long is driving our relo. We have lived in northern Atlanta and North Carolina. We miss the south, the polite people, the FOOD, pretty much more disaplined kids and I miss the heat. We can get on 4 wheelers in our garage and within 15 minutes be on our own out in the woods. They license 4 wheelers here so you can ride on the street wherever you want to go. The main thing is -40 is really hard on my body and gloomy for a month at a time is depressing... The best days other than summer is if it is about 28-30 with snow on the ground and sunny...
Ah, I see. Well, in that case: Welcome Home!!!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:40 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,998 times
Quote:
I have looked at Mapquest and then realtor sites and the realtor sites don't really list the towns in the foothills that mapquest shows. We don't need a lot of land (I am tired of taking care of it) but we are really trying to stay out of subdivisions with HOA.
The areas in the foorhills are not really towns they are more like unincorporated communities, which is why you are having a hard time finding them on the map. The MLS lists them as sub areas. For example Chilhowee View is a little rural community with nice mountain views. They have a few subdivisions around one of the golf courses but most of the area is rural farmland. You won't find much land in the foothills.....I know, I just spent the past two weeks driving the area, 5-6 hours a day. There are a lot of houses but no land that anyone wants to part with.

One word about HOA's. After two weeks of non stop searching the rural areas (foothills) and not finding any lots with mountain views that didn't have junky trailers next to them, I finally found a gem of a lot in a subdivision with very little restrictions. All of the electric is underground, it has city water and no HOA fees at the present time. Your mountain view lots are going to be in the subdivisions and not the rural areas, that's why they are not listed on MLS and when you do find one or two, they are steep inclines off the side of a mountain that you are going to spend a lot of money building up so you can get a small cabin on it. Not worth the money or time. I would rethink the HOA's. Please feel free to email me for more information about my experience.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 10,862 times
Default construction jobs

I am considering moving fron ohio to the maryville area. I am a licensed plumber here in ohio and I was wondering if anyone from maryville can tell me if there is a need for plumbers in that area. The economy here is dead... very little construction at this point. It looks like there is alot of building going on down there and that would work well for me.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:52 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Smile Might start here, dan44214

You might want to start with the local newspapers until someone who actually lives in Maryville, Alcoa or Knoxville (all within 20 mins. of each other) gets to your question. In Knoxville, you can check the classifies in The News Sentinel at knoxnews.c on the web, and in Maryville, The Daily Times at dailytimes.c on the web.

I'm sorry that I wasn't personally of more help, but we are just trying to get ourselves relocated to Maryville ourselves (currently in Atlanta). Local forum members will be better able to give you some leads. But, that would be the place to start.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 9,896 times
i live on the border of maryville, was born and raised in blount county which is the same county for maryville. The traffic is only a problem during rush hours as is anywhere you try to go to. the prices always go up the closer you get to the tourist locations such as pigeon forge and gatlinburg. it is also costly living ten miles away in knoxville around farragut and west knox county, plus the traffic is torture. i love where i live,friendsville is very nice, it is getting populated but not half as bad as maryville and knoxville, besides, we have the tennessee vols to look forward to which makes it all worth it go vols! go friendsville!

Old 10-16-2007, 06:21 PM

4 posts, read 11,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Maryville is definitely a wonderful town. Relatively quick and easy access to much of what you would like...mountains, shopping, restaurants, FANTASTIC recreational amenities. The school system is top-notch, and housing costs are very affordable.

Regarding supermarkets, you have the Wal-Mart supercenter, as well as Winn Dixie, Food City, Kroger and Bi-Lo. I used to shop at Wal-Mart and Bi-Lo when I lived there.

Believe it or not, you're not going to be inundated with tourists in Maryville itself, so finding a good place to walk is as close as the Bicentennial Park greenbelt right smack dab in the middle of town, across from the library. It was one of my favorite spots in town. It has a great lake, and the trail goes on and on.

And aside from the Smokies, my all-time favorite place to go was the Fort Loudon recreational area near Vonore. It's a bit of a drive, but not too far. Take US 411 south out of the city, and turn left at Rt. 360 (Citico Road) and you'll see it on the left. GREAT views of the mountains in the distance, and a very peaceful place. Has a nice fort to explore and dock right along a lake. My other favorite place was Fontana Dam. Take US 411S to US 129 and turn left. Very pretty drive, but be careful because once you start going up into the mountains, it's very secluded and twisty-curvy. But very well worth the trip.

There's also the Foothills Parkway, which is also accessible from US 129.

Let's see....aside from Foothills Mall, your best best for a decent bookstore is going to be West Knoxville, where you'll find Barnes & Noble as well as Books-A-Million.

You'll find plenty of side-of-the-road fruit and veggie stands throughout the area.

Not sure what else, but I DO know you'll love it in Maryville. I personally would move back, but I'm ready for a more major change of environment, so I'm setting my eyes on the western U.S. Best of luck to you, and enjoy!
Does "FANTASTIC recreational amenities" include year-around lap swimming facility reasonably priced?

Are there areas suited for active adults/retirees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville