Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 03:26 AM

108 posts, read 198,364 times

Advertisements

University Commons Publix is scheduled to open Aug 7. Hiring is ongoing. Anyone interested in applying will need to go to either of the two Publix stores and apply on the computers in the front of the store.

http://utcommons.com/category/univer...ons-knoxville/

you can follow this link to see what is going on at the site. Be sure to click on the live view to see updated construction site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 AM

621 posts, read 1,615,646 times
Nice! I can go during lunch and pick up my favorite pressed cuban sandwich..

Old 06-03-2016, 06:02 PM

160 posts, read 303,464 times
Do yourselves a favor and don't let Publix monopolize the area, you'll regret you didn't support everybody else enough.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:48 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFIVEOH View Post
Do yourselves a favor and don't let Publix monopolize the area, you'll regret you didn't support everybody else enough.
Out of its 39 stores in Tennessee, Publix operates three stores in Knox County. That is far from being a monopoly with other supermarkets Food City, Ingle's, and Kroger present.

Publix has done well to have 766 stores in Florida. Its competition is Walmart (Supercenter, Neighborhood Market, Sam's Club) and constantly shrinking Winn-Dixie.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Out of its 39 stores in Tennessee, Publix operates three stores in Knox County. That is far from being a monopoly with other supermarkets Food City, Ingle's, and Kroger present.

Publix has done well to have 766 stores in Florida. Its competition is Walmart (Supercenter, Neighborhood Market, Sam's Club) and constantly shrinking Winn-Dixie.
Like I said, BEFORE it monopolizes the area.

It's monopolized Florida and the stores have gone to hell.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Like I said, BEFORE it monopolizes the area.

It's monopolized Florida and the stores have gone to hell.
Why does Publix have more stores in Florida? It has done good business and made right decisions to be successful and to allow for growth.

Winn-Dixie, a former participant in the Knoxville area, is worse than Publix. It is not surprising to hear of additional stores closing and its exiting of markets.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:58 PM

Like I said, they monopolize an area and then handcuff everybody because they don't have any other options. Publix was great here too until they completely took over. Not unlike Best Buy. All I'm saying is, support everybody so there are options. It's bad for an area when an industry has complete control.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:21 PM

121 posts, read 162,244 times
Quote:
Like I said, they monopolize an area and then handcuff everybody because they don't have any other options. Publix was great here too until they completely took over. Not unlike Best Buy. All I'm saying is, support everybody so there are options. It's bad for an area when an industry has complete control.
You are correct on this. I lived in SW Florida for 35 years and Publix did take over that market little by little over the years. But again their only real competition was Winn Dixie and Wal Mart. But at one time Krogers, Albertsons and Grand Union were all in that market. Today the only real competition they have is Wal Mart. Winn Dixie is still around but they are a small player. By controlling the market they way they do they can raise their prices. The only thing keeping them in check at all is Wal Mart. Publix survives on their reputation of nice stores, good employees and good service. Wal Mart runs on it's low prices. Publix has very nice stores and they are well run no doubt. But they are not all that like some people like to think they are.

I don't ever see Publix getting the market share here in Tennessee like they have in Florida as there are several other established chains in the area such as Kroger, Food City and Ingles. Also at least to this point Publix does not seem to be very interested in the smaller towns and rural areas here concentrating their efforts in Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga. Perhaps in time they will move into some of the smaller markets but I would not hold your breath to see it happen.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:07 PM

Good points. I hope those chains can maintain a healthy, competitive market up there. I am in GA, TN, SC and NC very frequently and am usually very impressed with Kroger and Ingles.

It's not all bad. As much as I love Whole Foods, I rarely went there in the past because it's 30 minutes from me. I do also have a Fresh Market nearby. Now, I go to Whole Foods much more frequently and they have so much to choose from. I split time between Fresh Market and Whole Foods depending on what I need. Publix had been relegated to whatever I can't get at those two stores. Not any more. Meals have gotten so much better and creative by going to FM and WF.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltaz View Post
I don't ever see Publix getting the market share here in Tennessee like they have in Florida as there are several other established chains in the area such as Kroger, Food City and Ingles. Also at least to this point Publix does not seem to be very interested in the smaller towns and rural areas here concentrating their efforts in Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga. Perhaps in time they will move into some of the smaller markets but I would not hold your breath to see it happen.
I think Publix will be expanding further in Tennessee. First, it will be opening a distribution center in Jefferson County, Alabama, in 2017. It is projected to have a grocery warehouse that will serve existing and new stores in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee. This will free up space at its Dacula, Georgia, distribution center. Second, the completion of Interstate 22 and Interstate 269 around Memphis, Tennessee, will allow Publix to move into that region and possibly Mississippi. Third, Publix is already expanding into smaller cities. Pigeon Forge and Greeneville are examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville