Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 04:55 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,825,286 times

Advertisements

We can only hope! I doubt Sevier.

Interesting - out of the 7 new stores that Publix just opened (5 of which are in FL), ours is the largest at 56,430 sq. ft. Awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 05:51 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,358,159 times
I see Blount Co for sure being one.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:25 AM

2,700 posts, read 3,683,409 times
Sure hope PBX finds Blount County asap!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:25 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
I have to spread the love around, too, JMT. EXCELLENT post! Publix has always had the slogan "Where shopping is a pleasure" and it is absolutely true. It was nice to have a nice young man from Miami bring out my packages and not expect a tip. (It's verboten at Publix!) And you can absolutely eat off of the storeroom floors of any Publix.

I am going to ask that manager where the other two Publix's will be opening. I should have done it then!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:43 AM

621 posts, read 1,616,368 times
I finally got to go Saturday. It was a mad house. I actually found a parking spot on the side of the building about 4 spaces from the front. I got my Publix sweet tea, which i drank all of by Sunday afternoon, two pressed cuban subs and two pieces of birthday cake. Heaven.... i don't know what they make their cakes from, maybe puppy dogs and rainbows, but it is heavenly. It's only 7 miles one way from the house, so i have no problems making that drive. I grew up east of Tampa, about 20 miles from Publix headquarters in Lakeland. It was like coming home for me. The guy in front of me ordering subs was from Orlando. He has lived here 10 years. His wife was making him drive to the one in Chattanooga to buy their daughters birthday cakes.

Can't wait to go back!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
I finally got to go Saturday. It was a mad house. I actually found a parking spot on the side of the building about 4 spaces from the front. I got my Publix sweet tea, which i drank all of by Sunday afternoon, two pressed cuban subs and two pieces of birthday cake. Heaven.... i don't know what they make their cakes from, maybe puppy dogs and rainbows, but it is heavenly. It's only 7 miles one way from the house, so i have no problems making that drive. I grew up east of Tampa, about 20 miles from Publix headquarters in Lakeland. It was like coming home for me. The guy in front of me ordering subs was from Orlando. He has lived here 10 years. His wife was making him drive to the one in Chattanooga to buy their daughters birthday cakes.

Can't wait to go back!
Oh my gosh, I forgot all about their birthday cakes! My daughter always had one for her birthday. It was so much fun to show her around since she didn't remember Publix. We left Florida when she was five. There were so many Floridians working and shopping there and it was so great to talk to them. My daughter is quite proud that she is a native Floridian and she really loved Publix, except for the crowds! Believe it or not, I didn't get my favorite Publix ice cream! I couldn't get near the frozen food section. I have to say they did a beautiful job of keeping stock up, but that's Publix for you! I work 11 minutes away so I hope to visit a lot for lunch!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:25 AM

42 posts, read 59,453 times
Went Sunday morning early. Place was fine and I saw a few products that I like to purchase but have not been able to find locally. That said, if you've shopped places like Central Market in Texas, Publix is just another fairly nice grocery store. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

As a follow up to my other post in this thread, the wife spends some time in Florida every year visiting relatives. As we were walking through the store Sunday I asked her about the size of the store relative to the Publix she has been to in the past. She also said this is a smaller store so apparently it wasn't just me and my old age talking.

Good to have more businesses like Publix coming to the area.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:50 PM

No one said it was the best market on the face of the earth. But to people that hail from Florida or lived there for awhile, it is nice to see them here. We already have great selections in other stores as well but their customer service is so much better. I don't know what it is lately, but customer service at other grocery stores seems to be getting worse around here. My guess is it is just the way the world seems to be lately, but Publix insists on great service and they deliver. And of course they have products that no one else has.

Next up...Trader Joe's, Costco and Whole Foods.

But even if we never had another new grocery store that came to the area, this transplant loves Knoxville just the way it is.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:35 PM

357 posts, read 800,333 times
One thing Publix has to its advantage is they seem to put items on sale which can be paired up with recent coupons. Kroger, Food City, etc. rarely seems to do this. In fact, you cannot even find out in advance what, if any, Buy One Get One deals you will find at Kroger. And don't get me started on how they will jack the price of a BOGO item up 1.5x to make it seem like a good deal. Also, Publix accepts competitor's coupons.

Hopefully Publix will bring some *much* needed competition to the grocery stores around Knoxville and force them to actually compete more for business.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:13 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,825,286 times
Mr. Alton is too busy working... I wonder if he can find out where the last 2 Publix's will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville