Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:53 AM

6 posts, read 20,460 times

Advertisements

We are waiting for our house to sell in Costa Rica to move back for retirement. We love Jonesboro/Johnson City and want to build there. Now we find out my husbands insurance considers that out-of-area, while Knoxville is in-area. We found W. Knox very crowded; never got to look at Maryville. Have found some interesting houses there on internet. What is downtown like? Is it being restored or is it restored already. Downtown Jonesboro and Cleveland are wonderful; hope Maryville is similar. We would like to live close to downtown if it is charming and walkable, but have a mountain view; minimal property. Any ideas.

Last edited by joykober; 08-13-2009 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: left out word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 AM

623 posts, read 1,543,231 times
Yeah, downtown's restored, but tiny and I doubt there's much room for additional growth. There's are a few of very good restaurants down there, Sullivan's, Tomato Head, and Palace Cafe, along with a cool little dive bar who's name escapes me. There are a few lofts, a coffee shop in an old theater, some banks, a teacher supply place, the Maryville Daily Times, and Ruby Tuesday's Corporate Headquarters as well. I just don't see it as a place to go walk around because there is no other retail.

If you really want mountain views, look in east Blount County (Maryville's in BC) outside the city limits or on the edge, off 411 (Sevierville Rd), 321 (Lame Alexander Pkwy), or Montvale Rd south of Maryville. One of the main reason's folks choose the city over the county is for the schools, but since you have none you may want to go with the cheaper county.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 AM

Default Maryville, tn

Thank you very much. I shall try finding east of the city. I know county taxes alone are a lot less, but since we know no one, we do not want to be too far out.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:04 PM

623 posts, read 1,543,231 times
There are plenty of neighborhoods in the county. The neighborhood in the county I grew up in had sewer for example, although once you get a few miles outside of the limits it's basically country lots, which you may actually prefer.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,683,409 times
Here's an example of a listing not far off Montvale Rd. in Blount County.

Listing Details: 1628 Forest Hill, LOT: 4, Maryville, TN 37803 (http://www.viewhomes.com/user/listing_detailed.php?MId=677706&agentId=9304 - broken link)

PS I am not a realtor.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:58 PM

Default Maryville, tn

Thanks for giving me an idea of what's around. Unfortunately, we need to sell first, and we have a budget of $250,000 max, max. We prefer a small lot.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:51 PM

35 posts, read 104,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joykober View Post
We are waiting for our house to sell in Costa Rica to move back for retirement. We love Jonesboro/Johnson City and want to build there. Now we find out my husbands insurance considers that out-of-area, while Knoxville is in-area. We found W. Knox very crowded; never got to look at Maryville. Have found some interesting houses there on internet. What is downtown like? Is it being restored or is it restored already. Downtown Jonesboro and Cleveland are wonderful; hope Maryville is similar. We would like to live close to downtown if it is charming and walkable, but have a mountain view; minimal property. Any ideas.
we just came back from Maryville, moving there also as soon as house sales, we looked at one home that was on a half acre lot new house, 3 bedrooms, old neighborhood, trees...under 200,000, email me for more info, I would have bought but we want more land

Old 08-13-2009, 05:00 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,664,860 times
Look at downtown Knoxville. Lots of wonderful lofts, theaters, stores, restaurants, musuems, library, farmers market, the river and UT all within walking distance. Or use the free trolleys that run around downtown. Krutch Park, with trees and a stream, is in the heart of downtown. Great bus service. On the river.
Lofts on the upper floors will have incredible views of the mountains and the city. There is a nice garden condo development on the river on the North Side and some high rises going up on the south side of the river.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:36 PM

Default Knoxville, tn

We would really love to move downtown on the river...BUT we have animals and unfortunately the cost of the condos is beyond our budget. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:58 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,781,299 times
Check out Townsend and Seymour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville