Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 02:58 PM

30 posts, read 65,111 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a trip to Gatlinburg the first weekend of October, anyone know of a local ATV touring company that we can rent some 4-wheelers from? Also, my wife loves the show Ghost Hunters and I would like to surprise her and take her to any locally known sites/tours? Leaves usually pretty good first week of October? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 09:42 PM

374 posts, read 945,142 times
Default Hope you

have a wonderful visit to Gatlinburg! I lived 9 yrs in Pigeon Forge, left there 2 yrs ago. I don't recall any ATV rental places, there was a place in PF to rent "dune buggy" type vehicles that were street-legal, but not sure if it's still in business. Finding ATV trails would probably not be too easy anyway unless you already know someplace to take them. Someone else here might know something I don't - if so, please speak up.

Don't know of any "ghost tours" either. There is surely some folklore, but you would need to do some research.

First week of Oct is usually a little early for great leaf color, however, the higher elevations in the mts might be really pretty. Weather should be nice though, it's been an unusually cool summer in E TN this year, with lots of rain, and the leaves are now beginning to turn, so the fall colors just might be early. Fall decorations will be everywhere and will be really nice to see

Old 09-19-2009, 06:35 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Yes. We had a cool summer. I've got a couple of sourwoods turning, but that is normal. In a couple of weeks we will not have much color. Probably very, very little.

Actually, there are a couple of tours running now, with another one to be added fairly soon.

Gatlinburg Ghost Tour :: Ghost & Haunt Tours

Gatlinburg Ghost Tours - Enjoy Haunted Ghost Adventures and Sights in Tennessee

I think there are a few ATV companies but this is the one I have heard about the most, in a good way!

Bluff Mountain Adventures - Guided ATV rides Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains (http://bluffmountainrentals.com/Adventures.html - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
have a wonderful visit to Gatlinburg! I lived 9 yrs in Pigeon Forge, left there 2 yrs ago. I don't recall any ATV rental places, there was a place in PF to rent "dune buggy" type vehicles that were street-legal, but not sure if it's still in business. Finding ATV trails would probably not be too easy anyway unless you already know someplace to take them. Someone else here might know something I don't - if so, please speak up.

Don't know of any "ghost tours" either. There is surely some folklore, but you would need to do some research.

First week of Oct is usually a little early for great leaf color, however, the higher elevations in the mts might be really pretty. Weather should be nice though, it's been an unusually cool summer in E TN this year, with lots of rain, and the leaves are now beginning to turn, so the fall colors just might be early. Fall decorations will be everywhere and will be really nice to see

Old 09-20-2009, 05:59 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post

The leaves are beginning to turn?! Dogwoods, sourwoods, and dying maples don't count. Also, above average rainfall actually delays color.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:24 PM

213 posts, read 550,801 times
Here are some reviews of Bluff Mountain ATV: Bluff Mountain Adventures ATV Rides - Pigeon Forge - Reviews of Bluff Mountain Adventures ATV Rides - TripAdvisor

Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,589 times
If she really loves Ghost Hunting, take her to Savannah or St. Augustine and stay at a Haunted B&B.. there are tons of ghost tours in those two cities.. i have done 3-4 in St. Augustine.. Also, check out a website called The Shadowlands: Ghosts and Hauntings.. you can find a few places in Gatlinburg...

Old 09-22-2009, 05:11 AM

374 posts, read 945,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Also, above average rainfall actually delays color.
I heard somewhere that it's really daylight/dark that is more involved in the leaf color change and not even so much related to cooler weather. That seems curious to me since it varies so much from year to year.

A rainy summer will, however, allow the leaves to remain on the trees and actually change color before they fall, instead of so many turning brown and dropping off early - like we've seen in drought years.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:14 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
Isn't daylight/dark the same at this time every year? or am I missin' something.... it's great to hear all the opinions on the foliage colors, we'll see what happens.... and write it down to remember....
Definitely will not have much color first week of Oct.

See if you can find a book called Smoky Mountain Ghostlore by Juanita Baldwin. Hopefully that Ghost Tour will cover it all. I love that Ghost Hunters show too....

Check out Wahoo Ziplines - Dual Zipline Tours of the Smoky Mountains

Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,589 times
I heard the zip lines are copied after a setup in Whistler ski resort in Vancouver. I have done those before, and if the one here is the same, that will be a blast!!

And yeah, my g/f and i love Ghost Hunters.. watch every week!

Old 09-22-2009, 10:52 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
They have zip lines at Dollywood, now. It's a company out of Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville