Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:43 AM

393 posts, read 1,880,712 times

Advertisements

Hi, still thinking about Maryville area, I may not be able to transfer thru my current job so now I am faced with the possibility of getting another. Oh how I dread going thru the interview and resume process. I have been trying to find out what the employment is like right now, I have seen jobs in the paper and on the career boards. Is it pretty tough right now? Where I live currently it is either sink or swim. I am 50, so I am not sure what I will encounter there.

Also, I am hoping I can get a job with being out of state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 03:01 AM

393 posts, read 1,880,712 times
Default Denso

Anyone in Maryville area work at Denso? I heard it was a great place to work, how hard is it to get in there? I see they have openings on their website.........!!! Around where I live now most factories hire thru a temp agency so they can see the work ethic first of the person they are hiring. Also wondering if they would hire someone in their 50's....hhhhmmmm

Old 05-15-2007, 06:23 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Denso is very hard to get into. Someone that is born and raised here told me that you have to know someone to get in.

Having said that, it wouldn't stop me from at least applying and trying.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:33 AM

23,013 posts, read 34,372,809 times
I've heard it's hard to get a job in Tenn unless you live there, is that true? And then they'll say don't move unless you have job, almost seems impossible, what does an out of state person do???

Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I've heard it's hard to get a job in Tenn unless you live there, is that true? And then they'll say don't move unless you have job, almost seems impossible, what does an out of state person do???
I moved here anyway. Still looking for work, but only at it for a touch over a month and that's about par for the course for me. There are jobs to be had, just not to many in competitive fields.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 AM

It was a little different for us. We had to move due to cost of living; we didn't have a roof over our head.

My husband has a trade and almost always can get work.

Almost two years ago, rent was really cheap. Even if we both worked at convenience stores, we could still afford to live here. That is changing. In a year's time the rent at my place went up $150.

Back then, you could afford to take a chance.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
I moved here anyway. Still looking for work, but only at it for a touch over a month and that's about par for the course for me. There are jobs to be had, just not to many in competitive fields.
Aren't you the guy that said I didn't have a REAL job? I guess that job interview last February didn't pan out for you?

Old 05-15-2007, 11:58 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,604 times
One word:
craigslist.org

Seriously- I've found ALL of my jobs from that one site. I've found that for some reason, the "job" sites kind of suck, like Monster and so on. Spend a few hours on there. You'd be amazed. Other then that, I'd say roughly 50% of the jobs in Knoxville are service industry jobs.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:52 PM

I think the job sites are horrible, too. I have never thought of craigslist. However, I spent quite a bit of time on the Knoxville one after your suggestion and there were very few legitimate listings.

I don't know if that is indicative of Knoxville's employment situation now or if maybe Knoxville tends to not use craigslist.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:45 AM

109 posts, read 359,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I feel you!!! I am also worried about this situation...I want to be out of Florida no later than April 2008, and I have been searching for a higher level Administrative, Management, preferably Marketing positions up there in Knoxville, TN. As a matter of fact, I will be interviewing with Winstead Marketing next week! I have to be honest, my hopes are not too high with this company because I am afraid it could be a commission or sales position only, but I will give it a shot. It's better to be positive

It will obviously be very difficult to get a job from another state, but just keep searching. I know some job sites such as Monster or careerbuilder are not all that, but you would be surprised at what appears sometimes…I have had a pretty good experience with these search engines. In fact, I found this interview on there site! LOL
I have planned this trip to TN since December 2006, to get to know the area, see where exactly I would like to live, East, West, see how low costs are compared to Miami, etc. I am fortunate that I do not have children yet, however; this makes me more motivated to move to a place where my children will grow up in a better place and get a better education. Wish me luck on my journey next week, I will provide feedback and some pictures when I return. I am going for 5 days….staying in Alcoa. I wish you the best of luck as well as for all of those wanting to move to Knoxville!!! I sure am anxious to meet my new neighborhood! I can’t wait to visit..We will be driving from Miami…..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville