Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:07 PM

27 posts, read 107,643 times

Advertisements

The Fourth & Gill neigbhorhood was able to negotiate a sound wall along its edge with the interstate...this is to be placed atop a berm for maximum effectiveness and the interstate re-design will push the noise further from the neighborhood.
FYI,
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:19 PM

114 posts, read 618,491 times
I noticed that the interstate wall was going up. When I lived there, we were told that TDOT had definitely said "no" on that. It's good to see that wasn't the case. Of course, the price of fixed-up homes was a bit high, and I'm terrible at DIY. I didn't want to take on a fixer-upper. I bought farther north, not far from Emoriland. I really like the quiet up here, but I miss the proximity to downtown. It also hurt when KAT cut the bus service that went by my house .

Old 06-07-2007, 01:57 PM

141 posts, read 981,673 times
If you like the area but want to be farther away from the interstate noise, look at Historic Old North Knoxville (HONK), which is just across Broadway behind St. James Episcopal, roughly.

Historic Old North Knoxville

Old 06-09-2007, 07:53 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Can anyone give me an opinion on whether the Historic 4th and Gill area is safe for young families? We have friends considering buying property in this area. Thanks.
I have a friend that has a beautiful house on 4th and Gill. A lovely artsy community. I would not recommend raising small children in that area however.

Best of luck to you and your friend.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:57 AM

Wouldn't recommend raising children there? I would venture to say that our area's children are nothing short of amazing...one of the "artsy" community has just been named by Forbes as one of the "10 people who could change the world":

The University of Tennessee: Growing Electricity

I would hope that folks might like their children influenced by neighbors such as this. ;-)

Old 06-10-2007, 10:04 AM

I apologize if my comments offended; that was not the intent. I am merely speaking from the standpoint that my friend shared with me regarding the feeling of safety for raising her children in that area. She absolutely loves the art world and artsy feel there; however, she feels that it isn't perfect for child rearing in some respects. I certainly did not mean to insinuate that anyone living there, adult or child, is anything less than amazing. After all, it does take different colors to make a rainbow. Each and every area has pro's and con's. Kind regards.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:47 PM

No offense taken Smoky Mountain Gal...I just find it funny that to the best of my knowledge, no child has ever been harmed in Fourth & Gill and the first-name-basis of this historic neighborhood increases its safety as well. Haley, Dahlia, Sam C., Olivia, Sam T., Georgia, Beatrix, Ruby, Sonny, Charley, James, Sam P., Camille, Elizabeth, Jack...these are just some of the first names of the kids in Fourth & Gill. Perception is indeed reality but it is just sad that some done base their perceptions upon fact(s).
Thanks,
Bill

Old 06-10-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pittman View Post
No offense taken Smoky Mountain Gal...I just find it funny that to the best of my knowledge, no child has ever been harmed in Fourth & Gill and the first-name-basis of this historic neighborhood increases its safety as well. Haley, Dahlia, Sam C., Olivia, Sam T., Georgia, Beatrix, Ruby, Sonny, Charley, James, Sam P., Camille, Elizabeth, Jack...these are just some of the first names of the kids in Fourth & Gill. Perception is indeed reality but it is just sad that some done base their perceptions upon fact(s).
Thanks,
Bill
I hear ya. As development continues and revitalization happens I hope and think perceptions will indeed change. I do think it is important for any home buyer to look at the actual crime statistics and the Sex Offender Registry and do any and all homework in their buying process. And, for what it is worth, I think 4th & Gill is a beautiful area. Even with the work that has been done in making the best of the I-40 construction I do hate the encroachment into that area. One of the things I really like about it is that it is closer to Litton's than my current location

Kind regards.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 5,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm not wild about it, especially for young families. If they're use to city life, it might be fine. It's a small area of restored homes but it has issues with crime from other areas.

Baloney. I am raising 2 kids there myself and love it. I also grew up in the county. If you're the type of person that believes that safety is inversely proportional to sidewalks then perhaps you should stick to the burbs.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:13 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Well, I wrote that post over 15 months ago. I have since bought a house near Sterchi, where people walk by my house everyday.

I belong to the Fourth and Gill list-serv, and unfortunately, their problems have only become worse. Lots of break-ins, prostitution, people knocking on their doors looking for money.

It is fantastic that people fixed up that neighborhood, but sometimes it seems like the odds are stacked against them.

Do your children attend the public schools or do you send them to private?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville