Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:11 PM

128 posts, read 192,653 times

Advertisements

Florida has just gotten to hot and expensive , our foreclosure rate is sky high

We have visited Gatlinburg 5 times and love it any advise would help.

I rank sites in Google so I can live anywhere as my clients are already everywhere as is.

Thanks

JW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 01:22 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seogorilla View Post

I rank sites in Google so I can live anywhere as my clients are already everywhere as is.

Thanks

JW
We are all happy to help. It's a very friendly group on this forum. But maybe you could ask us some questions and we can go from there?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:34 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seogorilla View Post

Thanks

JW
Gatlinburg is a fun place to visit as you know because you have been there 5 times already. But living in a heavy tourist area full time and visiting are very different things.
Tourist season runs from March to December or something just as bad.The traffic is awful and your life would consist of doing all errands weekdays and staying away from town Thursday-Sunday.
This may be something that doesn't bother you right now. But tourists and a transient population is very different as a full time resident.
I wish you well in your search.
Pam

Old 04-12-2010, 08:44 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
I'm with Pam. It's one thing to visit Gatlinburg as a tourist (which I love). It would be completely different to live there full-time and have to deal with the constant traffic and crowds. Simple things like running to the dry cleaners or going grocery shopping will become major headaches for at least half of the year.

If the OP wants to live in the mountains, there are other areas with a lot less traffic and a lot fewer tourists. On the other hand, I guess if the OP likes living in a crowded, touristy place then Gatlinburg is just as good as anywhere.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,568 times
Relocating from Fl. Just purchased our home in Sevierville this week. Like you,we had also found it financially and visually attractive on several vacations. Like someone else said though, even though FL also thrives on tourism {we live on a resort island} we weren't prepared for the horrendous traffic and poorly planned roads in Gatlinburg. The construction was awful no matter what time of year we went. We changed our minds real quick, opening them up to areas just outside of Gatlinburg instead. Find a GOOD realtor before you go. Pick one who's lived in the area for years if not their lives. It turned out to be the most important choice we made aside from the actual home. Our realtor was a DREAM. 2 other words of advice, if you're shopping online prior to going for viewings, I'm here to tell you that NOTHING looks like it looks on line. Also, if you're looking for land as well, realize that 10 acres doesn't mean 10 nice lovely acres of usable land! It usually means 10 acres straight up or down the side of a mountain! We nearly killed each other househunting before we found our realtor! Hope this helps. Good luck ~ enjoy the mountains...and the tax breaks!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:41 PM

135 posts, read 293,400 times
I would pick Sevierville to live. Gatlinburg is like living in New York, you mostly walk places because everything there requires you to pay to park. I got a job there once and spent over 20 dollars a week in parking tags for work. Most of the jobs on the main strip in G-Burg requires you to pay for parking because businesses do not supply parking for employees. Also our tourist industry is different from Florida. Florida is a more spread out state and land and Sevier County is condensed with mountains and the tourist and locals. So the only way around it are the few back roads and that still takes you time because tourist find them and go 2 miles an hour, putting you late. Visiting here and living here is like saying the sky is Purple. Living here, you have to deal with the crap like the senior art craft. G-Burg is a magnet for arts and crafts and senior folks eat that stuff up. Also we have nothing but church groups thru out the year and they are the arose. Rude and cheap tippers. Also we have like 4 rod runs (car shows) a year and its hell. I live 20 minutes away and on rod runs I have to leave 2 hours early to get to work on time from Sevierville to Pigeon Forge. And backroads, again, doesn't save you time either. The cost of living here is OUTRAGEOUS!! Wal mart is a joke here. Nothing but tourist everywhere in there. The best time to go there is at 2 in the morning. Lines are crazy so you can't go there when your in a hurry. The town is awful when you need to pay bills or drop the kids off. All you do is sit in traffic. When you're on vacation you have ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD to deal with this, but living here you don't have time to sit in bumper to bumper traffic. The town is growing and is getting worse, not better. If you can deal with this and be happy than go for it. But new locals learn real quick it isn't what it seems to be when they were on vacation. Its a different world when living here. Again I suggest Sevierville because its more homey and a business place. The tourist go to Pigeon Forge and G-Burg. Sevierville is nicer anyways with more land and homes, not gift shops and log cabins. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:57 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCarol5 View Post
I would pick Sevierville to live. Gatlinburg is like living in New York, you mostly walk places because everything there requires you to pay to park. I got a job there once and spent over 20 dollars a week in parking tags for work. Most of the jobs on the main strip in G-Burg requires you to pay for parking because businesses do not supply parking for employees. Also our tourist industry is different from Florida. Florida is a more spread out state and land and Sevier County is condensed with mountains and the tourist and locals. So the only way around it are the few back roads and that still takes you time because tourist find them and go 2 miles an hour, putting you late. Visiting here and living here is like saying the sky is Purple. Living here, you have to deal with the crap like the senior art craft. G-Burg is a magnet for arts and crafts and senior folks eat that stuff up. Also we have nothing but church groups thru out the year and they are the arose. Rude and cheap tippers. Also we have like 4 rod runs (car shows) a year and its hell. I live 20 minutes away and on rod runs I have to leave 2 hours early to get to work on time from Sevierville to Pigeon Forge. And backroads, again, doesn't save you time either. The cost of living here is OUTRAGEOUS!! Wal mart is a joke here. Nothing but tourist everywhere in there. The best time to go there is at 2 in the morning. Lines are crazy so you can't go there when your in a hurry. The town is awful when you need to pay bills or drop the kids off. All you do is sit in traffic. When you're on vacation you have ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD to deal with this, but living here you don't have time to sit in bumper to bumper traffic. The town is growing and is getting worse, not better. If you can deal with this and be happy than go for it. But new locals learn real quick it isn't what it seems to be when they were on vacation. Its a different world when living here. Again I suggest Sevierville because its more homey and a business place. The tourist go to Pigeon Forge and G-Burg. Sevierville is nicer anyways with more land and homes, not gift shops and log cabins. Good luck.
You seem to be so unhappy. Church groups and "senior folks," as you put it, generate a lot of income for Sevier County. Relocation might be an option for you if you think Sevier County is so horrible and stifling.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:18 PM

135 posts, read 293,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
You seem to be so unhappy. Church groups and "senior folks," as you put it, generate a lot of income for Sevier County. Relocation might be an option for you if you think Sevier County is so horrible and stifling.

Gee maybe if this place didn't drain my pockets I would.....
anyways I have my opinions about this county. Seniors do bring in our money but I have a problem when they are the cheapest and crappiest tippers and they are the rudest ccustomers they complain about everything and take it out on us "young people" that work the businesses here. I have yet to figure out why old people make a big about "young people" working in these businesses here. Then they complain about the traffic but yet continue to come here..
Im not gunna pump rainbows into his ass and act like this is the most perfect place other than Heaven. They do make up most of our customers and they need to be aware with how they act. I make a living off of tips and when they don't tip because our food is too expensive... that's not my fault or all the other servers fault. Then I cash and listen to them complain and here they are church goers...
I am born and biased here in Sevier County and have seen this place get worse and I have spoken to plenty of locals and we all share a common ground on this issue. Its part of this town. I believe he has the right to know what this town is made up on and how is works. Just cause I statedbthe truth on this topic doesn't mean I completed need ti move away. Its not like I moved here and is now bashing it. Im sorry you feel that way about my post but telling me I need to move away doesn't reflect to his thread he started..

Old 09-16-2011, 04:30 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCarol5 View Post
Gee maybe if this place didn't drain my pockets I would.....
anyways I have my opinions about this county. Seniors do bring in our money but I have a problem when they are the cheapest and crappiest tippers and they are the rudest ccustomers they complain about everything and take it out on us "young people" that work the businesses here. I have yet to figure out why old people make a big about "young people" working in these businesses here. Then they complain about the traffic but yet continue to come here..
Im not gunna pump rainbows into his ass and act like this is the most perfect place other than Heaven. They do make up most of our customers and they need to be aware with how they act. I make a living off of tips and when they don't tip because our food is too expensive... that's not my fault or all the other servers fault. Then I cash and listen to them complain and here they are church goers...
I am born and biased here in Sevier County and have seen this place get worse and I have spoken to plenty of locals and we all share a common ground on this issue. Its part of this town. I believe he has the right to know what this town is made up on and how is works. Just cause I statedbthe truth on this topic doesn't mean I completed need ti move away. Its not like I moved here and is now bashing it. Im sorry you feel that way about my post but telling me I need to move away doesn't reflect to his thread he started..
Actually, I didn't tell you you need to move away, I said that "MIGHT" be an option for you if Sevier County was so horrible and stifling.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
I find it odd that everyone is trying to "help" someone that posted this well over a year ago and is on his way to Seattle.

First of all, I use to live in Lee County, Florida, where Sanibel is located and I can't think of a place that is more opposite of there than Sevier County, TN. Wow. But I don't know what "SanibelBelle" was looking for so maybe it was a great decision for them.

LisaCarol, I know you want to move to Florida but I'll tell you, if you think the tourists in Sevier County are rude you haven't seen nothing, yet. All of those jerks are the same people that eventually retire in Florida. And believe me, I waited tables in Orlando and Fort Myers and it gave an entirely new meaning to the phrase "cheap tippers."

I believe you'd be happier in another spot in East Tennessee, perhaps Knoxville, and not Florida. You'd be jumping from the frying pan and into the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville