Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:37 AM

50 posts, read 81,786 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Las Cruces but am worried about crime such as burglary and car theft. If I live in high range/sonoma area and park my car at the mall, do I need to be worried? I currently live in S. Florida where the stats are just as bad but I never had a problem. I also live in a gated community with a manned gate. Do I need to be worried about being broken into there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 10:37 PM

41 posts, read 68,513 times
Why park at the mall? Your car would probably be safer in High Range/Sonoma Ranch. I've heard burglaries and property theft are on the rise from people who've lived here a while. Doesn't compare with places I've lived before so not a huge concern for myself personally. If you keep valuables out of site and lock it, I would imagine it would be relatively safe. However, no matter where you live there's always some risk of break in/burglary no matter how remote. Your risk would be probably be increased at the mall in comparison with where you plan to live if that's what you're asking, though.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:19 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbadx81 View Post
Your risk would be probably be increased at the mall in comparison with where you plan to live if that's what you're asking, though.
Mall employees obviously park their cars there every day, and since there is no parking garage, their cars sit out on the lot day after day. If I were to park my car there all day, I'd park it where the employees do.

I haven't heard that Las Cruces has any more of a problem than other cities and towns in the region. One way to keep up with the crimes there is by reading the local daily paper: Las Cruces Sun News.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:30 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,959 times
I wouldn't worry too much about it, crime is pretty low in LC. Just don't leave anything valuable in your car in plain sight.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was only going to park at the mall while I was shopping, not all the time!! Why would I do that? What about home invasions and break-ins in High Range/Sonoma? Is that a big problem?

What is it like driving around there? I come from a place with horrible agrgesive rude drivers. Am I going to have lots of tailgaters, people cutting me off, and otherwise being rude or is it more laid back and friendly on the roads? The main reason I am moving is because I can't stand the traffic and rude drivers in South Florida, especially Miami and I can't stand how crowded it is. Broward County alone which is where Fort Lauderdale is has over 2 million people just in this small area. Also, I don't enjoy the constant torrential rain during the summer, but I like a moderate clime. The heat in the summer doesn't bother me here.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:28 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,280,738 times
No, Highrange/Sonoma is not an area where they have an issue with burglary or home invasion.

You will LOVE the drivers from your perspective. People on the road are very polite (occasionally too polite IMO) for the most part (excepting the infamous lack of turn signal usage) and if you hear a car horn it's likely to be someone tapping it to wake up someone not paying attention to a changing light. But only after they've waited patiently for a reasonable amount of time. I have maybe heard someone laying on their horn a dozen times in 30 years and I've always assumed it was someone from out of town. People will let you into traffic routinely. You will also see this frame of mind off the road in people holding open doors for you, frequent eye contact and unsolicited smiles.

Despite the above I don't mean to imply that it's a utopia and there are downsides to the area just like everywhere else. The dry heat will take your body some time to get used to.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Despite the above I don't mean to imply that it's a utopia and there are downsides to the area just like everywhere else.
I could not agree more with your post. If a person can't be content in Las Cruces, then I suspect they would find it difficult to be content in any other city of similar size, regardless of where it is.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:25 PM

104 posts, read 111,305 times
It sounds like the OP has not actually been to LC yet. If that is true then I would recommend at least a short visit then you can experience the driving situation for yourself (and discover that parking at the mall is not a reckless act!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Despite the above I don't mean to imply that it's a utopia and there are downsides to the area just like everywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I could not agree more with your post. If a person can't be content in Las Cruces, then I suspect they would find it difficult to be content in any other city of similar size, regardless of where it is.
Could not agree more with TKO and joqua - no place is going to be a utopia but on each of my fact finding visits, I found people to be friendly and easy going and realized the place was growing on me each time I returned. If you can't get along with folks in LC then I don't know where you'll be happy.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTransplant View Post
It sounds like the OP has not actually been to LC yet. If that is true then I would recommend at least a short visit then you can experience the driving situation for yourself (and discover that parking at the mall is not a reckless act!) Not true. I spent 6 weeks there in 2006. I will be back there gain the first week of June

Could not agree more with TKO and joqua - no place is going to be a utopia but on each of my fact finding visits, I found people to be friendly and easy going and realized the place was growing on me each time I returned. If you can't get along with folks in LC then I don't know where you'll be happy.
That sounds encouraging to me. South Florida is home to the nastiest rudest people I have ever encountered and the traffic, overcrowding, COL, humidity, and bugs have become unbearable. I just don't want to get into another situation where I fighting insane aggressive driver constantly cutting me off and on my tail when I won't drive more than 3 MPH over the speed limit. In South Florida, I have people flashing their lights behind me when I am in the right lane on a side street with a speed limit of 45 MPH and I am doing 47; bullies in big pick-up trucks. I find this rudeness and lack of civility intolerable. ALSO, I spent 6 weeks there in 2005-2006 so at least I have some experience there. I will be heading back first week of June.

Last edited by srsx9; 05-18-2015 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Omitted something

Old 05-18-2015, 11:23 AM

104 posts, read 111,305 times
You will see a big change since your last visit - there has been a lot of growth in the last 10 years. I'd recommend going to the Farmer's & Craft market downtown on your next visit. You'll get a feel for the friendliness of the people there as you stroll down the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces