Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 12:29 PM

37 posts, read 39,145 times

Advertisements

I figured it would be nice to post an update here since I was the OP. I am currently sitting outside at lunch enjoying the Las Cruces weather. Yes, enjoying the Las Cruces July heat.

We made the move, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't challenging. My husband and I had to move separately, and I had to live in a hotel for two months while trying to find an existing home available in an absolutely insane real estate market. Pro tip: find yourself a great buyers agent and work together nearly 24 hours a day until you make it happen. We did eventually find a house we are very happy with, and we are now busy exploring the city. We've done several hiking trails and I bought a bicycle so we can explore more that way.

To the naysayers: I understand where you are coming from and why you continue to fight more people moving here. But not all new people are a detriment to the city. I've heard people who have lived here for many years state out loud that they don't want to recycle because they don't want to look like "some kind of liberal." I've seen people running their sprinkler systems WHILE IT IS RAINING, even though we live in the desert. I plan to convert half of our yard to xeriscaping in order to conserve water. We are not your enemy. Some of us want to move here and not see a thing change. (Well, maybe a little less meth, but I digress. Meth is a nationwide catastrophe.)

I have been here since March and my husband since May, and so far we are very happy. Is it an absolute paradise? No. There are aspects that we don't care for, but they are few and far between. And nowhere is going to meet 100 percent of the criteria 100 percent of the time. For us, it was a good move. For someone else, maybe not. I just bought some used furniture off a couple that don't like the heat and miss the snow. No house in Sonoma Ranch will make up for that fact. So they are moving away.

To each their own. I am happy to be here, and hope to prove to be an asset to the city. Thanks to those who welcomed us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 09:28 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
Let me officially give you a welcome to Las Cruces from a place called Alamogordo, NM, Camille98. I am pretty confident you're gonna love it here in southern New Mexico.

Old 07-12-2021, 05:12 AM

37 posts, read 39,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Let me officially give you a welcome to Las Cruces from a place called Alamogordo, NM, Camille98. I am pretty confident you're gonna love it here in southern New Mexico.
Thank you! We lived in Alamo in 1993-1994 but moved back to WI to keep watch over our families with health problems. We were just kids then and rented a house in Boles Acres with no AC, nor a swamp cooler. We were much more resilient then!

Old 07-12-2021, 10:35 AM

268 posts, read 179,793 times
Glad to hear of someone's adventure in relocating to this beautiful part of our country.

We are looking to escape dangerous, expensive and crowded Houston in the future and have been to Las Cruces several times and it is one of the spots we are considering. Tired of the crowded, crime-ridden city and humidity and we never thought we would retire in Houston to begin with.

As a mt biker, I look forward to the southern regions of NM to retire. I never thought we would leave Texas, but it is getting expensive to live here and we want a slower pace of life in a dry place with way less people.

Old 07-12-2021, 01:24 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Allen View Post
Glad to hear of someone's adventure in relocating to this beautiful part of our country.

We are looking to escape dangerous, expensive and crowded Houston in the future and have been to Las Cruces several times and it is one of the spots we are considering. Tired of the crowded, crime-ridden city and humidity and we never thought we would retire in Houston to begin with.

As a mt biker, I look forward to the southern regions of NM to retire. I never thought we would leave Texas, but it is getting expensive to live here and we want a slower pace of life in a dry place with way less people.
Here in Cruces, there is some great mountain biking in the BLM owned area off of Del Rey at the end of Westmoreland and Webb. I have a client that really enjoys this one in particular:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/705...abbit-run-loop

Old 07-12-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Here in Cruces, there is some great mountain biking in the BLM owned area off of Del Rey at the end of Westmoreland and Webb. I have a client that really enjoys this one in particular:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/705...abbit-run-loop

Yep...thanks!

We know about many local trails and this is one feature that makes this area desirable for retirement.

I went to college in Lubbock and fell in love with West Texas and the arid desert like climate and the people of West Texas and Eastern NM.

Pretty sure with our pickups and mt bikes and kayaks, we will fit right in. We have traveled all over NM and West Texas and are familiar with the culture and food.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:36 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
In some ways Southern New Mexico is as good as it gets IMO. Mountains, deserts in a reasonably temperate climate that isn't ridiculously expensive and over crowded.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
In some ways Southern New Mexico is as good as it gets IMO. Mountains, deserts in a reasonably temperate climate that isn't ridiculously expensive and over crowded.

This is what I thought, the first time we visited.

It was like CO and UT without the high prices and more "touristy" feel.

I also felt that the people were more welcoming. In CO, when they heard you were from TX, they winced like we do about the CA people in TX. LOL

Old 07-13-2021, 07:52 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
Thank you! We lived in Alamo in 1993-1994 but moved back to WI to keep watch over our families with health problems. We were just kids then and rented a house in Boles Acres with no AC, nor a swamp cooler. We were much more resilient then!

You were living resilient! Wow, I had to check my spelling on that word. Not one that I often use. You'll love it here - I'm able to buy an affordable Alamogordo home that's about a Griffey's throw from my job. I could walk to work but do I? No.

eddie gein - man, you hit the nail on the head. It is a great place to live. Oftentimes people get strung up about their homeland. I love Seattle - I was born there. But you know what? It's too expensive! Here I can buy a car I like, take a look at a cool used one (anyone out there know what a 1976 MG Midget is?) that I'm strongly considering talking myself out of this very minute! But my point is this: I can afford the house, the new car and the '76 MG Midget, plus all the monthly bills including the rising cost of Wal*Mart food!

And, what's more, my wife and I are able to save for my retirement. She's not working outside the home and she's not doing anything to generate income for us, either. But she doesn't have to. I make enough in my job to support the both of us and our 13 year old Chow Chow. So, as I sit here typing on my week off from work I decided to take, I feel pretty happy about things. If I tried to eek out a living up in Seattle, all I could do was pay the rent or mortgage, bills and probably a stupid monthly payment on a nice car.

This place is a blessing to me and one I am very happy to have found.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:48 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,643,634 times
My husband's family is in WA but he loves Texas - the weather (when not -1 below zero), his doctors, veteran's benefits, etc.

Love NM - but watching the housing market in Taos in lieu of Santa Fe. SF is becoming way too much like Albuquerque...JMHO not throwing shade on Abq or SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces