Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 03:44 AM

37 posts, read 39,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Hiking in NM is an absolute joy after coming from places with more moisture. I grew up in AK and the mosquitos there could about carry you off. I was literally amazed when I started hiking here and didn't have to fight any flying critters off while enjoying the great outdoors. Not a plus for NM that is typically noted by many when others are talking about moving here, but it sure has been for me.
I am so happy you mentioned that. Because I've heard that mosquitoes are a problem, and I know the river runs through the city in the summer, so I was actually worried that there might still be a bunch of mosquitoes! But then I thought, well they can't be half as bad as here. And I'm glad to hear I'm correct. I literally CANNOT sit outside or work outside in the spring and summer here. It's truly awful. I have to wear a flannel and hat to go do anything. I can't stand heavy duty bug sprays either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 01:24 PM

78 posts, read 76,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’m definitely sold on going to LC and checking it out. As we continue to move along, the AZ housing market is getting ridiculously overvalued. I think it makes sense to get in before that inevitability hits NM too.

To the OP, don’t wait too long. As the CA population continues to disperse due to overcrowding and overpricing, they will find LC for sure at some point.
yep, this is my fear too. I can't go anywhere until 2022.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille98 View Post
I am so happy you mentioned that. Because I've heard that mosquitoes are a problem, and I know the river runs through the city in the summer, so I was actually worried that there might still be a bunch of mosquitoes! But then I thought, well they can't be half as bad as here. And I'm glad to hear I'm correct. I literally CANNOT sit outside or work outside in the spring and summer here. It's truly awful. I have to wear a flannel and hat to go do anything. I can't stand heavy duty bug sprays either.
yep! our family cabin is in northern MN and the mosquitoes never go near my husband. I guess I have sweeter blood? Last year we went for a walk on a trail near the cabin and I was literally SWARMED with them!! Again, they didn't touch him, just me!! I had to run away from them! and I don't think I put on any bug spray. Let that be a lesson to me.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:32 PM

I might have to move to Spain after all if we can't afford housing anywhere but where we live, or the wettest city in Hawaii or anywhere else that I don't want to live, say Texas, Florida, Arizona......Spain was our original dream but I wouldn't buy anything in a foreign country and was looking forward to not owning property. maybe I need to come back to that....but I'm the only one that speaks Spanish so there's that.

and maybe WK91 is wrong. guess we'll see. heavy sigh.....

Old 02-21-2021, 11:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
If possible, snag one of those free villages in NW Spain.!!!

Brits are really snatching them up.

We will probably have to retire to Spain, Italy, Greece, or Portugal to afford HC and housing. It's not so bad there . I don't recall mosquito problems when living there.

I consider these places to have a more friendly climate than LC.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If possible, snag one of those free villages in NW Spain.!!!

Brits are really snatching them up.

We will probably have to retire to Spain, Italy, Greece, or Portugal to afford HC and housing. It's not so bad there . I don't recall mosquito problems when living there.

I consider these places to have a more friendly climate than LC.
Free villages? Hmmmm.....but I need the warmth of southern Spain. I fell in love with Spain while a student in college eons ago and have been back 4 times. I hear you about being able to afford HC and housing. Hubby used to be excited about it but now, well, he doesn't speak Spanish and that bothers him.

The Spanish people are so warm and friendly. And each time I've been there Spaniards come up to me as if I belong there. "Can you take our picture please?" "do you know how to get to....?" I guess I look Spanish. But just the feeling of belonging somewhere.....yea, I need to revisit that dream I think.

Here's one story that I love to tell. We took our then 10 year old daughter with us to Spain in 2010. She used to get a lot of bloody noses. And we were in the Reina Sofia museum in Madrid when she got yet another bloody nose. A museum worker noticed us trying to find some tissues and was so concerned about my daughter, kept asking if she needed a doctor. No, I assured her that this happens all the time. And she walked us over to the bathroom for tissues. So kind, so warm. I love them. And I have friends there too....

Old 02-22-2021, 08:27 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,167 times
Is that it much cheaper to live in Spain?

Old 02-22-2021, 10:58 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
Healthcare is generally cheaper ANYWHERE ELSE BUT THE U.S. That's the appeal to StealthRabbit. And, healthcare is not only important and can extend your life, it's ridiculously expensive in America. I have thought of moving out of the U.S., too.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:05 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Healthcare is generally cheaper ANYWHERE ELSE BUT THE U.S. That's the appeal to StealthRabbit. And, healthcare is not only important and can extend your life, it's ridiculously expensive in America. I have thought of moving out of the U.S., too.
We need to fix that, once and for all.
I have a Mexican dental vacation in my future in the next couple years.
But I get nervous at the thought of being retired in a foreign country, hospitalized when something goes wrong, and not having family nearby for emotional support.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:04 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
We need to fix that, once and for all.
I have a Mexican dental vacation in my future in the next couple years.
But I get nervous at the thought of being retired in a foreign country, hospitalized when something goes wrong, and not having family nearby for emotional support.

Move your entire family outta the U.S.! Worth a thought, though, I know, it's not that easy of a sell to them. I go to Juarez, Mexico, to Washington Dental Clinic, for my dental work. Before COVID-19, anyway. I don't know if that option is currently open right now.

It's about 1/6th the cost of American dentistry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces