Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 10:24 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunnaUrbiz View Post
TBH, my "real" reason for avoiding below freezing weather is I'm a lazy SOB and don't like winterizing my RV. The extent of my efforts run to opening all the cabinets and running the propane heater. If I can get away with that, I'll have to rethink Albq winters. Thanks.
In Albuquerque you coiuld get away with that most of the winter, but you might consider some kind of barrier to go around your RV so that the wind doesn't keep your floors too cold. Straw bales are good or you can get the siding used for mobile homes, easy to put up and take down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 11:34 AM

20 posts, read 16,094 times
Thanks, I'll probably install an unheated RV shelter like I have now. It keeps the RV insulated but 40ft shelters are getting expensive. Also, it requires a lot of space to get moho in and out. Still, sounds doable.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:35 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
To me there is a significant difference weather wise here in Las Cruces compared to Albuquerque. There aren't palm trees in Albuquerque. We have them aplenty here. It's about 10-15 degrees colder there on any given day in the winter, that gap isn't as pronounced in the summer (6-7 degrees at most).

Old 03-06-2024, 08:25 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
According to USNews:

"The most popular majors at New Mexico State University include: Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services; Engineering; Health Professions and Related Programs; Biological and Biomedical Sciences; Homeland Security, Law Enforcement, Firefighting and Related Protective Services; Liberal Arts and Sciences, General Studies and Humanities; Psychology; Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services; and Education."

Noticed what wasn't mentioned on this long list.

Gave out more mechanical engineering degrees than for animal husbandry.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:19 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunnaUrbiz View Post
A concern about LC is the ~65% Hispanic population. I've always wanted to learn Spanish but don't want to be immersed in Hispanic culture.

Then you are definitely looking at the wrong state. Its not that much different elsewhere in the state, unless you stay in your gated community.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Then you are definitely looking at the wrong state. Its not that much different elsewhere in the state, unless you stay in your gated community.
I've sold to many Hispanic people in gated communities. Everybody here gets along well with everybody else. This is a good thing. There's no perfect place, but this is one of my favorite virtues about living here.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:42 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
People forget who colonized the U.S. southwest a couple hundred years before any british or northern europeans showed up. It is ridiculous to be concerned about the hispanic population @Nunaurbiz. Go north or to Alabama if you are concerned about hispanics.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
According to USNews:

"The most popular majors at New Mexico State University include: Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services; Engineering; Health Professions and Related Programs; Biological and Biomedical Sciences; Homeland Security, Law Enforcement, Firefighting and Related Protective Services; Liberal Arts and Sciences, General Studies and Humanities; Psychology; Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services; and Education."

Noticed what wasn't mentioned on this long list.

Gave out more mechanical engineering degrees than for animal husbandry.
Also, petrochemical engineering degrees at NMSU are huge. Many exchange students from other global regions where oil extraction is an important part of the economy attend college here for that discipline. The problem is they mostly go back home if they do graduate. In fact, that's a problem across the board here, is retaining young talent. They almost always never stay, and that hurts the tax base.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:19 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I've sold to many Hispanic people in gated communities. Everybody here gets along well with everybody else. This is a good thing. There's no perfect place, but this is one of my favorite virtues about living here.

Yes but I am sure they are dominated by "non Hispanics with money from elsewhere" who want a "safe neighborhood" separate from all those poor people (largely Hispanic) who actually have to make a living on New Mexico wages.

Regardless, if someone doesn't want to be immersed in Hispanic culture this is definitely the wrong place to be.

Old 03-30-2024, 02:20 AM

451 posts, read 421,454 times
Hola Las Crucerenos, I'm road tripping through in a couple of weeks and planning on tent camping a couple of nights in Aguirre. Any tips or comments for me? Best hiking trails? Anything interesting in town? Is it warming up nicely now?

Happy Easter to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces