Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,187,820 times

Advertisements

yeah...good review over there, fnord. So far I haven't heard anyone say anything nice about the China Temple, except the ridiculous 'review" in the SunSpews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 07:10 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,291,554 times
Indeed, cooking your own is the only way to consistently enjoy asian food here in LC.

The sad truth is that years ago there was a very good food critic in the sun news, Sunny Conley (sp?). She pissed off some of the (substandard)restaurant/ADVERTISERS and her column was nixed. What a concept for a newspaper, huh? Money over news. It was a smaller more hometown newspaper in those days and while not really cutting edge served much more of a purpose. But that was the beginning of the end, IMO. Now? It's just a conduit to repeat AP stories for the most part. The local portion of the paper is just pathetic.

[domain blocked due to spam] is fun, isn't it! hehehehe

Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM

TKO, I'd even be happy with a don't PO the advertisers too much type review if there was at least someone who could write about food halfway intelligently. At least such a review might contain some useful information.
I mean, if a place just absolutely stinks.. ignore it...don't write about it at all...fine with me. Leave the real criticism to places like [domain blocked due to spam] or city-data readers/writers.
LC is a pretty small market for a take-no-prisoners restaurant reviewer, and I understand that. But when something GOOD is happening at a new or old joint, it would be really nice for everyone concerned if there was some public media that could actually be trusted to make that known.
I'm of two minds about [domain blocked due to spam]...there is so much rant, rant, rant from some people who seem to hijack threads and p**s and moan at each other constantly, yet sometimes, against all odds, a thoughtful and reasoned exchange of ideas takes place. The reaction to a column criticising local school boards is one. The writer himself responded at length in the [domain blocked due to spam] forum and a lot of good ideas were expressed. It was a pleasure to read, though there were some p & m posts in there also.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:45 PM
TKO

I don't know if you could find them anymore without going to the library but I don't remember them being all that incendiary. She just said if it wasn't good and she was right but the folks took issue with her and management backed down. It was quite an uproar there for a little while. I found them very useful and on the mark. In lieu of that I'd agree with you that someone with at least some exposure to the culinary world should be doing the write ups.

As for [domain blocked due to spam]? It is what it is. I find it entertaining but maddening as well. It's a picture into the mindset of a lot of people I don't want to know. Funny thing is I probably do know quite a few. It's a real free for all to be sure and I take part in enough highly moderated forums that it's neat to see the zoo. "The Columnist" did do a good job.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:04 AM

137 posts, read 475,656 times
Thanks, Tecpatl: I will give Asian Mix a try.
I don't mean to say Aqua Reef was bad...it was OK. It was just not the sushi I expected and hoped for, based on the review. It was OK, but I my standards might be too high. It is notl where I would take my buddies from out of state. There has to be better sushi here or in El Paso. It is worth the drive if we find a place we love.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:18 PM
TKO

Japanese Kitchen on Mesa (in EP) is very good. Better than the Mix IMO. Taking anyone from a coast to eat sushi here is a mistake. Even flying it in it's relatively old by the time it get's to your table.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:37 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,683,136 times
We are thinking about moving to LC, and from the threads here about restaurants, it looks like we'll save up all the seafood-eating for the 8 weeks we'll be in Maine every summer.

It looks like I will be getting used to chiles, which should be interesting. Growing up in Maine, I was basically acquainted with salt and pepper 9Black), and not much else in the way of spices!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
We are thinking about moving to LC, and from the threads here about restaurants, it looks like we'll save up all the seafood-eating for the 8 weeks we'll be in Maine every summer.

It looks like I will be getting used to chiles, which should be interesting. Growing up in Maine, I was basically acquainted with salt and pepper 9Black), and not much else in the way of spices!
I'm afraid the seafood news here in the Mesilla Valley is not that good....you'll find a bit of decent seafood but probably nothing compared to Maine. Ohhhh I wish there was.
On the other hand, there's a pretty good chance that enchiladas and chile rellenos in Maine really suck.
Start getting used to chile peppers in almost everything...you'll soon see that your taste buds become adjusted to the spices here.
A hint: most of the heat in a chile is contained in the veins and seeds, so avoid those and you'll get more chile flavor and less "Oh my GOD...get me some milk, QUICK!!!
Seriously...a lot of New Mexican and what passes for Mexican food here is not incendiary, just spicy. You will learn to love it, as well as the one dollar mangos, cheap avocados, cheap citrus, and tons of cheap fresh produce of all kinds.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:16 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,683,136 times
I'm looking forward to that -- I love avocados, etc. And I have learned to eat some spicy food -- I rather enjoy it.

When you say "cheap produce of all kinds", can you give examples? Is it all year round, or is stuff trucked in from who knows where? Is it possible to get locally-grown produce for decent prices all year?

Old 04-02-2009, 10:50 PM

137 posts, read 475,656 times
TKO--will give the Japanese Kitchen a try.... I think I went there some 20 years ago?! I hope not, then I will feel really OLD!
I am so enjoying NM and I love the local food flavors. For fun, it is worth the visit to old established NM restaurants in Santa Fe...then compare with Las Cruces. I find the local food great and worth my patronage. It is just fun to see the difference in chile from city to city. Each city is worth the visit and quite unique in flavor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces