Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:24 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I'm looking forward to that -- I love avocados, etc. And I have learned to eat some spicy food -- I rather enjoy it.

When you say "cheap produce of all kinds", can you give examples? Is it all year round, or is stuff trucked in from who knows where? Is it possible to get locally-grown produce for decent prices all year?
Most of New Mexico is too high in altitude (too cold in winter) to support large scale year around vegetable cultivation. Tons of good stuff comes in from Mexico, S. AZ and California. All of those places are quite close and don't require the cross country trips most of the produce in Maine endures. Fresher, cheaper, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 05:53 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
Most of New Mexico is high in altitude

I guess I was not aware of that fact. What is the altitude (more or less) of Las Cruces? Does that make it a little cooler than say, Phoenix, in the summer even though it is south of there ? Do you all have fireplaces ? (I know that is a dumb question, but I am planning on relocating there and I would like to learn as much as I can . )

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Most of New Mexico is high in altitude

I guess I was not aware of that fact. What is the altitude (more or less) of Las Cruces? Does that make it a little cooler than say, Phoenix, in the summer even though it is south of there ? Do you all have fireplaces ? (I know that is a dumb question, but I am planning on relocating there and I would like to learn as much as I can . )
LC is around 3800 feet, give or take. Altitude is everything in the Southwest, in terms of temps. Phoenix isn't more than 1,200 feet or so, and Tucson maybe 2,400, so you can see that, despite being further south, LC is going to be cooler at all times of the year. Unlike Tucson, citrus doesn't really survive here, and though you'll see palms around the area, many varieties can't take it here. See the link below with a little info on the difference between the Sonoran desert AZ and the Chihuahuan desert, due largely to temps and altitude.
I think you can search temps in this forum, as someone, I recall, put up a lot of data with comparisons in a thread.
We have a fireplace, and use it frequently during the winter months, which we enjoy very much. Warms the feet and the soul...lol There are numerous nights below freezing in Dec. and Jan. though the daytimes are pretty temperate due to that wonderful NM sunshine.
Las Cruces and the Organ Mountains

Old 04-05-2009, 07:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Las Cruces is about a mile high, with the corresponding Organ Mountains rising from the desert plain to nearly 9000 feet.

That is a direct quote from the article that you linked.

Huh? The city of LC itself a mile high? Where? Every elevation I have found for LC shows it to be less than 4500 ft, which is not a mile high (1 mile = 5280 ft).

As far as I know, the lowest elevation for NM is +/- 2800 feet, which is where Red Bluff reservior in Eddy County is.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 04-05-2009 at 07:26 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 10:51 PM

I guess the guy meant Las Cruces Avenue in Denver... Duh...that's what I get for quickly linking without reading the whole darn thing LOL I liked his explanation of some other things. oops!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
I wonder if LC Sun News did a write up for Risotto's. I bring this up because this restaurant just closed their doors two days ago.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,217,092 times
Review removed from website?

Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I wonder if LC Sun News did a write up for Risotto's. I bring this up because this restaurant just closed their doors two days ago.
Boy, I'm very sorry to hear that. It was a pretty good place. The same owner has opened another one in El Paso but I haven't visited that location.
Meson de Mesilla is going to reopen under new owners. I sure wish they had the same chef as the previous owner..that guy put out some seriously good food. Good luck to the new folks, anyway

Old 04-08-2009, 11:32 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Boy, I'm very sorry to hear that. It was a pretty good place. The same owner has opened another one in El Paso but I haven't visited that location.
Meson de Mesilla is going to reopen under new owners. I sure wish they had the same chef as the previous owner..that guy put out some seriously good food. Good luck to the new folks, anyway
Tecaptl,

I think the El Paso location bit the dust as well, after just being open for a few months.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Tecaptl,

I think the El Paso location bit the dust as well, after just being open for a few months.
It's not uncommon, unfortunately, for a restauranteur to see success in one venture or location and get the idea that it can be simply duplicated elsewhere. This can work, of course, but it's also not uncommon for a second or third location to fail and bring the original crashing down with it. Opening a restaurant is scary expensive, and if the owner is stretched financially the whole deal can fall apart very easily.
It's happened to good friends of mine, who had three very successful places and decided to open a very ambitious fourth spot, which failed and ended up costing them a fortune and eating up their very valuable time...bringing their entire operation down. I feel sorry for the owner if such is the case. A bridge too far.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces