Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:10 PM

29 posts, read 71,519 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am wondering where is the best place to live if you work at WSMR? I may be coming from Indiana and don't know a thing about NM other that I drove through it 25 years ago. I am receiving info from many realtors but it doesn't mean much at this point. I will be renting for a while. Also single woman in my 50's so prefer safe and quiet. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 11:44 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,077 times
You'll probably want to be close to highway 70.

I'd say anywhere between I-25 and Sonoma Ranch Blvd would probably suit your needs.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:08 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
skprdh,

Welcome, and read this thread, it has a lot of good info regarding WSMR and where to live:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-c...s-el-paso.html

Rich

Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 PM

56 posts, read 161,770 times
It really depends on how long of a commute you want. The closest nice neighborhoods will probably be East of I-25, i.e. Sonoma Ranch, etc. I'm actually starting my job at WSMR next month and I'm looking at anything East of I-25 and South of 70, although I'm open to neighborhoods in Mesilla Park and Northrise. I've got it in my head that I do not want to live on the East Mesa because of the latest issues there. I know that there are probably some really nice neighborhoods there so I'd have to be convinced to move there. Maybe closer to the new Country Club.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeser View Post
It really depends on how long of a commute you want. The closest nice neighborhoods will probably be East of I-25, i.e. Sonoma Ranch, etc. I'm actually starting my job at WSMR next month and I'm looking at anything East of I-25 and South of 70, although I'm open to neighborhoods in Mesilla Park and Northrise. I've got it in my head that I do not want to live on the East Mesa because of the latest issues there. I know that there are probably some really nice neighborhoods there so I'd have to be convinced to move there. Maybe closer to the new Country Club.
There's not really anything too close to the new country club yet, but there's some nice quiet areas west of sonoma ranch, and north of 70, especially off Rinconada.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:49 AM

56 posts, read 161,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
There's not really anything too close to the new country club yet, but there's some nice quiet areas west of sonoma ranch, and north of 70, especially off Rinconada.
Thanks funkymonkey. I'll be looking at those small pocket areas in the East Mesa. I know that there are a few neighborhoods in that area that are nice. I'm really looking for considerate neighbors, actually. If I can find something like that in my price range, I'm all for it.

What do you think of the newer neighborhoods in the Del Rey area?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 8,203 times
IF you don't mind my asking, what are the issues up there because I had heard that was a nice place to live and I was considering it.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:15 PM

15 posts, read 85,148 times
There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in the East Mesa... the newer ones. Avoid the older neighborhoods and trailer type areas.

The Del Rey area is nice. If you go past the newer subdivisions and take a right on Webb Road, you will find great custom houses with huge!! yards. Officially those houses off of Webb Rd are in Dona Ana, so you have no city restrictions, either, but you still have a Las Cruces address.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeser View Post
Thanks funkymonkey. I'll be looking at those small pocket areas in the East Mesa. I know that there are a few neighborhoods in that area that are nice. I'm really looking for considerate neighbors, actually. If I can find something like that in my price range, I'm all for it.

What do you think of the newer neighborhoods in the Del Rey area?
They're not bad. Some of the houses are a bit cookie cutter for my tastes, but that makes them cheaper as well. I'd start looking at some of the stuff off Settler's Pass, then move north if you don't find anything.

I've heard that there's an area on Del Rey that at times isn't passable after heavy rains... I'm not sure exactly where that is, but someone else might know more.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skprdh View Post
Hello all,
I am wondering where is the best place to live if you work at WSMR? I may be coming from Indiana and don't know a thing about NM other that I drove through it 25 years ago. I am receiving info from many realtors but it doesn't mean much at this point. I will be renting for a while. Also single woman in my 50's so prefer safe and quiet. thanks.
If you aren't looking for a house right away, there are a couple of very nice apartment complexes on Roadrunner, not too far from 70. They have pools, fitness facilities, etc.

Cuestas Apartment Homes Apartments Las Cruces, NM - Apartments for Rent in Las Cruces New Mexico

Tuscany Villa Apartments Las Cruces, NM - Apartments for Rent in Las Cruces New Mexico

The area is quiet, close to shopping and as I noted, close to the highway that runs up to WSMR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces