Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:12 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Since there are newcomers reading this thread, the list isn't complete without a mention of Coas bookstore. If you love browsing through used bookstores, you'll be in ecstasy. Biggest used bookstore in all of southern NM, I believe. They have books, maps, DVDs, videos, etc, most at pretty fair prices. They offer a trade-in/credit program but I've never signed up, so not sure how it works. Two locations: big store right in the downtown mall and another smaller store on Solano north of Idaho. Downtown location has a nice little coffeeshop.
I've signed up. Mostly because of my kids, and exchanging books. I am not sure how their credit system works, but the upshot of it is that you bring in unwanted books, and they line item credit per book onto a 3x5 index card. Your surplus is listed on there. Then you can buy any book of your choosing, and it is subtracted from that index card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 12:54 PM

45 posts, read 164,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I've signed up. Mostly because of my kids, and exchanging books. I am not sure how their credit system works, but the upshot of it is that you bring in unwanted books, and they line item credit per book onto a 3x5 index card. Your surplus is listed on there. Then you can buy any book of your choosing, and it is subtracted from that index card.
Yes, Coas is a great store. We have not tried to understand the credit system, we just pay whatever they ask for each transaction. They are moving the 3x5 data base to a computer system and now have barcoded member cards. (Of course the bar code reader failed to decode my card the other day.)

Old 02-27-2015, 09:18 AM

4 posts, read 3,994 times
What is SHAS Thrift Store? Where is it located? Please post asap. I find that for the most part ALL the thrift stores here in Las Cruces are extremely overpriced compared to PHX and Tucson and Orange County CA....what's up with that? The items are shabby, dirty, and beat up ...are there any that are nicely priced and worth looking at? Furniture items?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:23 AM

This town is in dire need of a decent resale shop. Most of the shops are dirty, dingy and way overpriced when it comes to furniture, household and appliances. Any suggestions ? I just moved here. I'm from Montana. I recently went on a trip and visited lots of thrift stores including Good Will and Savers plus lots of private named stores in PHX, Tucson, Orange County CA and the presentation and quality of the donations are much nicer and much lower priced than anything I've seen here so far. PLEASE advise...if you know of anywhere I can go and find better quality pieces that are not filthy and beat up / priced reasonably. Thank you.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:09 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli Stapleton View Post
What is SHAS Thrift Store? Where is it located?
Safe Haven Animal Sanctuary - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Safe Haven Animal Sanctuary is located some 10 miles east of Las Cruces, New Mexico. The three-acre sanctuary, which houses up to 45 dogs and 35 cats, includes a cattery, dog kennels, isolation units and a play area. For directions and a map:http://www.safehavenanimalsanctuary....0TO%20SHAS.pdf

Old 02-28-2015, 02:55 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Quote:
What is SHAS Thrift Store? Where is it located? Please post asap. I find that for the most part ALL the thrift stores here in Las Cruces are extremely overpriced compared to PHX and Tucson and Orange County CA....what's up with that? The items are shabby, dirty, and beat up ...are there any that are nicely priced and worth looking at? Furniture items?
Las Cruces is poor. You can't expect it to have the same quality of goods found in PHX and Orange Co, where people can afford to give away good stuff. Its the same everywhere. You'll find great stuff in wealthy metro neighborhoods and low quality stuff in small rural towns. SHAS has the best quality, IMO.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:38 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
http://www.safehavenanimalsanctuary.net/thriftshop.htm

There is also Kings Treasure on Missouri -

King’s Treasure ‹ Helping young women facing unplanned pregnancies.

I love thrift shops and good ones are very few and far between in Cruces.

I always went to El Paso for used furniture, etc. as I never found anything in town when I lived there.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:55 AM

Thanks Poncho_ NM, Deserterer, TigerLily24 for your responses! I'll take your advice and accept the facts here in Las Cruces.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:56 AM

Are there any holistic healers or Naturepathic professionals in Las Cruces, NM?

Old 03-13-2015, 05:37 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,363 times
I haven't seen any for sale in the thrift stores or resale shops.

Quote:
Are there any holistic healers or Naturepathic professionals in Las Cruces, NM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
View detailed profiles of: