Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:36 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,682,772 times

Advertisements

Why can't the OP just go to the Albertson's, anyway? That seems less commie and more mainstream, wally-world safe for anyone with hippie-parent flashbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 12:08 AM

702 posts, read 2,299,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Why can't the OP just go to the Albertson's, anyway? That seems less commie and more mainstream, wally-world safe for anyone with hippie-parent flashbacks.
Because an (unfortunately) small portion of the population doesn't want to support businesses like Albertson's.

Quote:

Larry Johnston, the $105 Million Dollar man. He's smiling at your expense.

Larry Johnston, Albertsons Inc. CEO, will get a multimillion-dollar "golden parachute" when the Boise grocery chain is sold to SuperValu Inc. and its buyout partners. Here's what Johnston will receive in cash, stock, health and other benefits, along with income tax reimbursementsn on his "golden parachute":
• $8.85 million for severance of three times his base pay.
• $482,212 for his pro-rated annual bonus.
• $35,818 for 36 months of health and other benefits.
• $50,000 for outplacement services.
• $100,000 for relocation expenses.
• $159,208 for fringe benefits.
• $20.4 million for his life annuity, if he takes it as a lump-sum payment.
• $627,111 from the company's long-term incentive plan.
• $3.7 million from the company's deferred-compensation plan.
• $28.9 million if he cashes in his 1,100,461 stock options at $26.29 each.
• $29.3 million if he cashes in his 1,114,753 shares of stock at $26.29 each.
• $12.9 million to pay the income taxes on the package.
No one at Mt. View Market is getting millions of anything - no one owns it. What profit it does bring in goes directly to the store and its employees right here in Las Cruces.

"More mainstream" is the downfall of our current economy and society. Are you "Wally World safe?" Sigh.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:59 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,708,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I can tell you they are prohibitively expensive. We had to shop there 4 years ago when we thought our son was allergic to gluten. Two bags of groceries regularly cost us 60-70 bucks.
I got some spring mix there the other day. $4.59/lb... price for spring mix today at Albertson's? $6.99/lb.

Hmm.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:28 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,682,772 times
fnford -- sorry that you didn't see my sarcasm.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,737,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Because an (unfortunately) small portion of the population doesn't want to support businesses like Albertson's.

No one at Mt. View Market is getting millions of anything - no one owns it. What profit it does bring in goes directly to the store and its employees right here in Las Cruces.

"More mainstream" is the downfall of our current economy and society. Are you "Wally World safe?" Sigh.
I believe that communal type ownership structure is the vibe that the OP found disturbing.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:09 AM

16 posts, read 35,526 times
Long time MV Market shopper here and former purveyor/supporter of Co-ops in other cities. There is a change occurring that, to me, dispels any notion of what a "co-op" is supposed to be. (Providing fresh, local, natural foods to the community at affordable prices). I noticed today in their little deli case (refrigerated section) they are selling a tiny container of what amounted to nothing more than corn, chili powder, and pepper and priced it for $8 per pound. The containers they are selling were priced at $4-5 each. We're talking about maybe 4 ounces of corn kernels and a dash of pepper. That's like $1 a bite. For corn! I can visit the downtown Farmer's market or go to one of the local growers or U-pick-it farms and buy 3-5 EARS of corn for a buck, or less!

I guess my point is foo-foo stuff like this reminds of overpriced places like Wild Oats and AJ's Ranch Market, trying to sell identical items at double the price just so you can say you "support the co-op". It's like at the Toucan Market in Las Cruces where I have seen people buying Coca-Cola bottles for $3.99 when that junk is half the price elsewhere, but since it's from Toucan it must be better, right? Nonsense!

Old 07-30-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAppleNM View Post
Long time MV Market shopper here and former purveyor/supporter of Co-ops in other cities. There is a change occurring that, to me, dispels any notion of what a "co-op" is supposed to be. (Providing fresh, local, natural foods to the community at affordable prices). I noticed today in their little deli case (refrigerated section) they are selling a tiny container of what amounted to nothing more than corn, chili powder, and pepper and priced it for $8 per pound. The containers they are selling were priced at $4-5 each. We're talking about maybe 4 ounces of corn kernels and a dash of pepper. That's like $1 a bite. For corn! I can visit the downtown Farmer's market or go to one of the local growers or U-pick-it farms and buy 3-5 EARS of corn for a buck, or less!

I guess my point is foo-foo stuff like this reminds of overpriced places like Wild Oats and AJ's Ranch Market, trying to sell identical items at double the price just so you can say you "support the co-op". It's like at the Toucan Market in Las Cruces where I have seen people buying Coca-Cola bottles for $3.99 when that junk is half the price elsewhere, but since it's from Toucan it must be better, right? Nonsense!
So don't buy it if you don't like the price. I've seen produce twice as expensive at wal-mart than at toucan, and I don't have to wait in line for an hour surrounded by screaming children.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,760,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
So don't buy it if you don't like the price. I've seen produce twice as expensive at wal-mart than at toucan, and I don't have to wait in line for an hour surrounded by screaming children.
I've never understood why people care about what other people are a) buying and b) how much they are spending.

Here's a thought: I'm in Toucan Mkt., I realize that I want a bottle of soda and so, instead of wasting however much gas and however much time to drive to, and then wait in line at, WalMart or Target or wherever I might get it cheaper, I just buy it there. So, I pay an extra, what, $1.50 - $2.00?
End result, I am supporting a local business, and, if nothing else, saving my time, which is infinitely more valuable.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 PM

16 posts, read 35,526 times
I see the comments from the above 2, but that's not really the point I was trying to make. Have you ever gone to a store for the first time or maybe a yard sale or something, and things are so overpriced you leave? I have. I look at the prices and I just think "forget it" and never go back. The values of every food co-operative include providing fresh foods at reasonable prices for the local community. When I see something like a half-pint of corn being priced at $8.99 per pound, it turns me off from the entire store.

Almost every time I visit the Mt. View Market there is someone ahead of me in line who appears to be a first time shopper there. I can only imagine if the first thing they see is this small serving of corn for $5, they leave, and then tell all their friends what a rip-off the co-op is. I guess my feelings should be directed to the Co-op and not here on some message board.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:07 AM

Well, I frequently get red bell peppers for $0.50 at Toucan. They are usually $1 or more at Alberton's or Wal-Mart and I don't go around telling my friends how expensive wal-mart is, nor to I get a negative attitude toward the whole store because of it.

But, I guess if you want to do that, then you're clearly within your rights to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces