Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:56 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,688,167 times

Advertisements

We live in Sonoma Ranch, and I am amazed at the sheer amount of space for sale around here, much of it for commercial/retail enterprises.

In general, is anyone aware of what might be in the works for this area retail-wise, and the rest of the city? I heard that there will be a 3rd Sprawlmart at Rinconada (and Sonoma Ranch? not sure exactly where.) That would not be the retail I'd hope to see -- aren't 2 enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 PM

9,391 posts, read 20,892,861 times
I would argue that if you went into one of the other two Wal-Marts, particularly after noon, you would think that another Wal-Mart is necessary. That being said, if Albertson's would lower their prices, you'd see more people shopping there, and the need for a third Wal-Mart would dissipate. As it stands, most people in this city can't afford to shop anywhere else, and that's a shame.

I spoke with a planner who was flying into Las Cruces, this was last year. We were coming in from Phoenix. He was telling me that by 2020, or by 2025, the plan is for there to be an I-125 extension, from around the Mesquite St exit, south of the I-25 merge, and for it to loop up through the edge of the Organ Mountains, and onto Rt 70, by the NASA/Baylor Canyon Rd exit. That new road is actually in the 10 year LC masterplan.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,741,921 times
See this link for some idea of what is proposed in your area.

Alameda Ranch - Alameda Property Group

Old 08-17-2009, 02:32 PM

True, Mike, about Albertson's. While they have some decent sales, their regular prices on things is too high IMO. I went to Toucan Market today and got all natural meat at pretty decent prices compared to Albertson's (or Wallyword, for that matter.) And we went to Wallyworld yesterday at 4. For some reason I thought it would not be all that crowded. Yikes, was I wrong. I'll never go on a Sunday late afternoon again.

Ah, thanks Domino -- now I know what the "APG" signs stand for that are everywhere around here.
Boy, I'd love to see a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods here, and some other options for clothing. And, a Dunkin' Donuts (sorry, couldn't help it.)

Old 08-17-2009, 09:44 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,190,889 times
Sonoma Ranch and similar developments are fairly new and will be years in the making and maturing. There is a lot more residential and commercial land available than there is demand, for now.
That will change, of course. LC will continue to grow, though my personal hope is that infill and redevelopment will lead the way, not bulldozing more desert mesa. I expect to be disappointed.
There won't be a Trader Joe's here for a long, long time...though retail and restaurant choices will continue, slowly, to improve.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,712,645 times
I'm willing to bet we'll get a trader joe's long before we get a whole foods.

I really do like Toucan though They have the best bratwurst I've found outside Germany.

Oh, and the new wal-mart is going to be on Rinconada just south of Northrise. I live sort of in the area, off Rinconada, and I'm not looking forward to the extra traffic, but I'm interested to see what kind of stores move in next to the walmart.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:02 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,190,889 times
I hope Toucan survives long enough to attract a sufficient client base. I try to shop there to support them, as it's the only hope for a specialty grocer in LC, for the short term at least. They've usually got some great wine deals.
A Whole Paycheck will be a longggg time coming here. I don't see it happening.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:45 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,741,921 times
An HEB in Las Cruces would be great, but El Paso doesn't even have one yet. The closest one is in Odessa.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:39 AM

I don't find the prices at Whole Foods to be much different than Toucan, to be honest. I will continue to try to get meat at Toucan, and they do have some fairly-priced produce, but the rest is too expensive. (Granted, I don't drink wine, so am missing out on that.) So while I say I'd like a Whole Foods, I would not do all of my shopping there if we had one -- you can get some of the same things elsewhere more cheaply.

What's an HEB?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:26 PM

25,845 posts, read 20,781,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
An HEB in Las Cruces would be great, but El Paso doesn't even have one yet. The closest one is in Odessa.
HEB, or better yet a Central Market would be great. I was surprised/disappointed to find that neither is even in El Paso. I shopped at both when my son lived in Austin - very nice stores.

Does anyone know the status of the Pro's Ranch Market that is supposed to open on El Paseo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces