Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 26,792 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are researching places to move to and are interested in Las Cruces. We love and miss the Southwest, having lived in Tucson before. Recently, we've heard a lot of news about horrible murders and what-not related to the drug trade crossing the border from Mexico.

Has this affected Las Cruces?

Are you worried about this trend reaching LC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,181,141 times
El Paso is one of the safest cities of it's size in the USA, so I think it's safe to say that the tragedies going on in Ciudad Juarez have pretty much stayed on that side of the border. There are kidnappings in Phoenix, but I'm not sure that's directly related.
I, for one, am far more worried about some US citizen nitwit t-boning me while running a red light, as I prefer to have my fears based in reality.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,629 times
No.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:14 AM

226 posts, read 980,072 times
is El Paso safer than ABQ? Both have about similar population (500-600K?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
El Paso is one of the safest cities of it's size in the USA, so I think it's safe to say that the tragedies going on in Ciudad Juarez have pretty much stayed on that side of the border. There are kidnappings in Phoenix, but I'm not sure that's directly related.
I, for one, am far more worried about some US citizen nitwit t-boning me while running a red light, as I prefer to have my fears based in reality.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:15 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,877 times
Stay away from the illegal drug trade and you'll have nothing to fear! Those who are involved in the illegal trade can't think of themselves as being safe anywhere!! Get on someone's "hit list" and they will be able to hit you regardless of where you live. This is borne out by the fact that there have been (and will continue to be) brutal kidnappings and murders on USA soil of those tied to the drug business.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:14 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
is El Paso safer than ABQ? Both have about similar population (500-600K?)

El Paso regularly ranks very highly in the safest city rankings. CQ press rated it as the second safest city of its size early 2009.

Similarly, Las Cruces has ranked in the top ten for several years on the Farmers Insurance list of 'most secure' cities.

I've lived here for a little over two years and I've not seen any increase in problems here due to what is going on in Juarez.

The latest list of Most Secure U.S. Places to Live from Farmers here:
El Paso is #8 for large cities, Las Cruces is #10 for mid-sized cities.

Austin-Round Rock, Texas, Most Secure Large Metro Area

Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 PM

216 posts, read 732,335 times
Smile No worries here....

I moved here from Phoenix and it was way, way worse there, even though it's far away from the border. Take a look at these links:

El Paso still safe although next to a war zone - Life- msnbc.com

//www.city-data.com/forum/el-pa...nd-safest.html

Old 01-18-2010, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 26,792 times
Wow. Nice to hear all of this. I had no idea El Paso and Las Cruces were so safe. That makes LC much more attractive to us! Thanks to everyone who responded!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:50 AM

125 posts, read 245,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wemightmove View Post
My husband and I are researching places to move to and are interested in Las Cruces. We love and miss the Southwest, having lived in Tucson before. Recently, we've heard a lot of news about horrible murders and what-not related to the drug trade crossing the border from Mexico.

Has this affected Las Cruces?

Are you worried about this trend reaching LC?
Here is a page link to the DEA's official assessment of drug trafficking in New Mexico. The DEA has an office in Las Cruces with a phone number listed. I would consider this DEA report to be a good resource for LC drug trafficking and the level of drug activity in the LC area. LC being only about 50 miles from El Paso and Cuidad Juarez and I-10/25 certainly makes it a good location for the transhipment and distribution of illegal drugs from Mexico.

I live near the juncture of 4 Interstate highways (I-80/81/84/380). The transshipment and distribution of illegal drugs is a fact of life in my area, particularly in the city of Hazleton which is a major distribution point on I-81 (north-south) and I-80 (east-west). Unless you want to park an RV out in the middle of the desert, you can not escape the illegal drug trade as the US is top dog in the chain of supply and demand.

DEA Briefs & Background, Drugs and Drug Abuse, State Factsheets, New Mexico (http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/state_factsheets/newmexico.html - broken link)

Old 01-19-2010, 09:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Anarchy in action. I am glad I do not live in Mexico. Still looking foward to New Mexico, a vastly different place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces