Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:57 PM

125 posts, read 245,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Anarchy in action. I am glad I do not live in Mexico. Still looking foward to New Mexico, a vastly different place.
And I am sure that there are many Mexicans who are glad that they don't live in the US! The quality of one's life is always relative to one's present location and perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 05:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wemightmove View Post
My husband and I are researching places to move to and are interested in Las Cruces. We love and miss the Southwest, having lived in Tucson before. Recently, we've heard a lot of news about horrible murders and what-not related to the drug trade crossing the border from Mexico.
Just exactly what murders are you talking about?

Really, I am serious. We have murders in New Mexico. New Mexico is not the safest state in the US nor is it the most dangerous.

Quote:
Has this affected Las Cruces?
No. Not that I am aware of.

Quote:
Are you worried about this trend reaching LC?
No. Not really.

This has more or less been covered in several other threads. You might read these threads:
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-c...ng-out-lc.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-c...moving-lc.html

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-23-2010 at 05:38 PM..

Old 01-30-2010, 01:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Wow. Nice to hear all of this. I had no idea El Paso and Las Cruces were so safe. That makes LC much more attractive to us! Thanks to everyone who responded!
I wouldn't just go on hearsay -- there is a perception in this area that everything is perfectly safe and there is no crime at all but you will notice a lot of doors and windows with iron bars, and high fences that are high for a reason.

It's fairly safe, safer than some places but not as safe as people insist. People like to ignore the recent murder of an innocent traveler, act like it never happened but several vicious gang members laid in wait for any victim to happen by - and one did.

There is a growing gang problem and some of these gangs are far worse than gangs in other cities. There really is nothing at all stopping those doing the killing in Juarez to relocate to this area, and often they do just that when they are escaping gang retaliation back home. Inside city limits you're safe, but out there -- it was obviously not so safe for one innocent 20 year old traveling from San Antonio to San Diego.

Truckers advised to steer clear of Anthony, Vado - El Paso Times

Police urge caution at rest stops after slaying - El Paso Times

Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 PM

But - those killers apparently were born and raised in Anthony, NM, they didn't just come over the border. The border is wide open though for anyone who would want to relocate here as very many are doing right now. Often the rich drug lords bring their families to live on the USA believing they will be better protected by the police forces here - but most prefer to live in El Paso.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:47 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,919,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But - those killers apparently were born and raised in Anthony, NM
I don't know what it is about that area - perhaps the fact that someone committing a crime can skip back and forth over the state line? But it's been a dangerous place for strangers ever since I can remember, which goes back to the early 1940s. As a teenager who used to hunt all up and down the Rio Grande in that region, I've been shot at myself - and that happened right in the Anthony area. Nowadays it's the drugs and the gangs that seem to have escalated the problem.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:10 PM

I have always been leery of rest stops at night. Statistically they seem to be safe, but I just don't feel safe unless perhaps there are a lot of other truckers around...

Quote:
Travelers should always be alert, but in almost 20 years in the district, Espinoza's murder is the first and most violent act district head Capt. Rich Libicer of the New Mexico State Police can recall at any rest area.
Police urge caution at rest stops after slaying - El Paso Times

Old 01-30-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
I don't know what it is about that area - perhaps the fact that someone committing a crime can skip back and forth over the state line? But it's been a dangerous place for strangers ever since I can remember, which goes back to the early 1940s. As a teenager who used to hunt all up and down the Rio Grande in that region, I've been shot at myself - and that happened right in the Anthony area. Nowadays it's the drugs and the gangs that seem to have escalated the problem.

All this is an eye opener for me. I've gone between Las Cruces and El Paso often and I would have sworn it was one of the safest areas there could be.

It really makes you mad that a harmless 20 year old kid was killed in that rest stop for no reason at all. But it's also terrible to realize that anyone pulling into that place was going to be a target that night. I've used that exact rest stop in the middle of the night believing the most dangerous thing there might be a jack rabbit.

What's very angering is that these punks were known to be violent thugs - the killer had previous arrests like drive-by shootings but was always getting off in court.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I have always been leery of rest stops at night. Statistically they seem to be safe, but I just don't feel safe unless perhaps there are a lot of other truckers around...
True - but I've always been leery in OTHER parts of the country. Pathetic - because pulling over to rest is supposed to help keep drivers safe, prevent road fatigue but the good people cannot use them for what they're intended.

How can these be made safe when the truck drivers themselves are warned not to use them?

But it's not just the rest areas, it means that these highways are not safe at all for anyone driving at night. A flat tire, engine breakdown -- whatever and any violent criminal out roaming around is free to get you.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
True - but I've always been leery in OTHER parts of the country.
Well, we just have too look out for ourselves and live in a certain amount of fear.
-
-
-

Old 01-31-2010, 07:01 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,919,276 times
Quote:
What's very angering is that these punks were known to be violent thugs - the killer had previous arrests like drive-by shootings but was always getting off in court.
There is something terribly wrong with MOST of NM's judicial system when sentences as little as 10 years (with early parole!) are handed down in capital murder cases. Worse yet are the number of cases that take years (if ever) to come to trial, with the perps running around loose on 10 percent bail in the interim. And victims of DWI assaults watch the system let them loose time and again with only a slap on the wrist.

I've heard the saying, "If you plan to commit murder, be sure you're in New Mexico when you do it!"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces