Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 02:43 PM

21 posts, read 84,635 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We just moved here for a job at WSMR. We're looking for a house close to I-70, on *at least* 0.25 acre (big backyard for the kiddos), 150-200k, paved streets for biking w/ our kids, no HOA. We would love to live in Sonoma Ranch, but most houses there have *tiny* backyards for our price range. I'm sure there are 1 acre lots, but for 300k+. I've also noticed that a lot of neighborhoods have cluster mailboxes. Why is that?

But, most of all, we're looking for a safe neighborhood. Does anyone have recommendations for low-crime neighborhoods near I-70?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:17 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,724,915 times
My understanding is that we have cluster mailboxes for safety reasons due to the large number of people with dogs. It also cuts down on the amount of time it takes the mail carriers to deliver the mail.

As for safe areas near I-70 - you might want to look in High Range, Sagecrest (both off of Roadrunner Pkwy), Las Alturas and maybe one of the areas off of Foothills (Scenic Drive) or off of Telshor (Majestic, Arrowhead, etc.) The houses are older than those in Sonoma Ranch and tend to have larger properties. The one downside is that many have not been updated, so it is a bit of a trade-off. There are a couple for sale on Santo Domingo and one on Frontier Drive (Sagecrest) in your price range. There is also (at least) one on Cheyenne Drive, one on Stage Coach and one on Cloudcroft Circle (High Range). High Range, Sagecrest and Las Alturas put you in the Desert Hills elementary and Camino Real middle school district.

There are also some nice older houses near Kohl's off of Triviz (Loma Heights), but I am not as familiar with that area, you might also consider the area with the streets with the planet names (Mars, Venus, Jupiter, etc.) That is close to I-70 as well. Again, these are older areas (mid 1960s-1970s) so the houses probably need updating, but, prices are lower and you definitely get more property for your money than you would in Sonoma Ranch.

Here are a couple of links to houses in High Range and Sagecrest:

2200 Santo Domingo Avenue, Las Cruces NM - Trulia

2823 Cloudcroft Circle, Las Cruces NM - Trulia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces