Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlumDucky View Post
I don't know if this is appropriate since it isn't my thread, but thx for your input Malamute.

Financial obligation for Housing Choice Voucher (which I qualify for and thus can rent a house on that program - you choose your own...apartment, home, or mobile home) with Region V Housing (Grant County and not sure about what other counties) in Silver City, (also interested in Las Cruces) is 30 per cent of income, and that 30% also pays for basic utilities (heat, water, electric).

Are they're many mobile home parks in Silver City? Or Las Cruces? I would prefer a small two bedroom, if the program permits me a 2-BR (second BR for a small office), but could do with only a one BR of course. Could be a home, an apartment, or a mobile home.

Wondering about the rents there in Las Cruces and Silver City. My income is only just under $1000.00 monthly and I'm not sure what rents for apartments, homes and mobile homes are like in those areas.

Are there many mobile home parks in those areas? Since I can choose my own residence, I'm wondering what kind of neighborhood I would find for rents where 30% of my income would work?

Grateful for any replies. Not asking for a reply from you Luzernecntygent, you've helped more than I could ask for. If this is encroaching on your thread, just let me know and I'll take it to a new thread.
Yes there are many mobile home places in these towns. A wide variety of them - some are newer but you can find older neighborhoods where lots are good size, many retirees living in them which don't really look like the stereotype trailer park. Sometimes you see mobile homes mixed in with houses. Sometimes you see very old but well-kept mobile homes that certainly can't cost a whole lot of money and sometimes they're rented out.

To me these are much nicer neighborhoods than the housing projects which can be quite nasty. Even the very poor mobile home neighborhoods can be quite decent people, where the housing projects seem to attract more of the riff-raff.

Also you can look where some of the "colonias" are for cheap housing and to me a colonia would be much better than a housing project. The older colonias are often not as bad as you might think - people have put in wells and septic tanks, they're not gated communities with sidewalks and street lights, but they're quiet and the people in them generally work for a living or are retired. The older sections of colonias are more built up, stable. In the southwest, the colonia neighborhoods are what's outside town that isn't gated communities. You wouldn't always know by looking that they're actually considered to be colonias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 11:25 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,668,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes there are many mobile home places in these towns. A wide variety of them - some are newer but you can find older neighborhoods where lots are good size, many retirees living in them which don't really look like the stereotype trailer park. Sometimes you see mobile homes mixed in with houses. Sometimes you see very old but well-kept mobile homes that certainly can't cost a whole lot of money and sometimes they're rented out.

To me these are much nicer neighborhoods than the housing projects which can be quite nasty. Even the very poor mobile home neighborhoods can be quite decent people, where the housing projects seem to attract more of the riff-raff.

Also you can look where some of the "colonias" are for cheap housing and to me a colonia would be much better than a housing project. The older colonias are often not as bad as you might think - people have put in wells and septic tanks, they're not gated communities with sidewalks and street lights, but they're quiet and the people in them generally work for a living or are retired. The older sections of colonias are more built up, stable. In the southwest, the colonia neighborhoods are what's outside town that isn't gated communities. You wouldn't always know by looking that they're actually considered to be colonias.
Well i'm not sure if he would understand the ''colonia'' concept as i believe he has a good plan of finding a short term lease on an apartment/duplex or mobile home.

As for mobile home parks yeap i was reading in one of the florida newspapers online about how the babyboomer sunbirds and retirees are transforming them from the low income and drug infested places they've always been associated with to nicer and safer area and infact you can see how nice and calm the three sunbird mobile hom/rv parks are here in Alamogordo during the winter when alot of the regular sunbirds are living in them.

I just did a google search of mobile home parks las cruces and saw quite a few that he could call and check on the rent/deposit etc. and also i did a google streetview on two of them and from i could see they looked decient .

Old 06-16-2012, 05:49 PM

306 posts, read 760,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Completely agree. You need to know as much Spanish to live in El Paso as you would in Dover New Jersey, which is to say, beneficial, but not really necessary.

Moreover, when it comes to ethnicity, I am pretty sure that Las Cruces is about 60% Hispanic. Not quite the 83% of El Paso, but you will be in an ethnic minority, as a non-Hispanic male.
You wouldn't be a "visible" minority though, as the Hispanics seem to pass for white most places.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,750,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkennedy1990 View Post
You wouldn't be a "visible" minority though, as the Hispanics seem to pass for white most places.
They aren't "passing."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces