Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:42 AM

125 posts, read 244,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlumDucky View Post
Luzernecntygent, just curious about public housing myself, and wondering how it's working out for you, if you have, indeed, relocated by now and where you chose to do so...
Thanks for your reply. There is a dearth of public housing in LC/Dona Ana Country. The only way I could relocate to the LC/Dona Ana County area would be to take private housing, and at the present time, that is financially not feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 12:07 PM

45 posts, read 108,762 times
Ok then...just thought you were looking for PH in the Las Cruces region and I had done some research (actually applied to Silver City for Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher). The waiting list there was short for my status (Disabled Vet), but a bit longer now since that was about three years ago when I applied. Not much longer however; not too long ago, Silver City told me the wait list was only about 4 to 6 months, as opposed to 1 to 3, when I applied. It's dry there also and climate is supposed to be one of the very best. Not as hot as the lower altitude areas, and not much snow.

Don't know that much about Silver City though - maybe you do? Maybe that's why you're not interested?

I am curious about why you're on PH now, were looking for the same in LC, but now could only take private housing there... if it's not being to nosy.

I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio. Ohio River and its humidity! Lived in Denver, Co. for several years - miss the dryer climate.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Ok then...just thought you were looking for PH in the Las Cruces region and I had done some research (actually applied to Silver City for Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher). The waiting list there was short for my status (Disabled Vet), but a bit longer now since that was about three years ago when I applied. Not much longer however; not too long ago, Silver City told me the wait list was only about 4 to 6 months, as opposed to 1 to 3, when I applied. It's dry there also and climate is supposed to be one of the very best. Not as hot as the lower altitude areas, and not much snow.

Don't know that much about Silver City though - maybe you do? Maybe that's why you're not interested?

I am curious about why you're on PH now, were looking for the same in LC, but now could only take private housing there... if it's not being to nosy.

I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio. Ohio River and its humidity! Lived in Denver, Co. for several years - miss the dryer climate.
I checked out Silver City and it's not my cup of tea. My Social Security Retirement is less than $950 per month. I'm currently paying $301 for subsidized PH, which includes rent, cable and all utilities, except telephone service. Private housing would be 3 times my current rent with expenses. The numbers don't exactly work out!

Old 05-23-2010, 03:13 PM

Oh ok - my apologies. You said "dearth", not "wealth" (of PH in L.C.) I should pay closer attention

Yepper, I know how it is. My pension amount is similar to yours.

Silver City possibly isn't my cup of tea either, but I'm beginning to believe I don't have much choice if I want to get back to dry air. Never been diagnosed yet, but father had asthma and summers are getting rougher each year it seems. Then, there's the lack of sunshine here in the Queen City, compared to New Mexico anyway.

Well, if you find an acceptable solution, please let me know and I'll do the same for you, if you wish.

Good luck whatever you do...

Old 05-23-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Oh ok - my apologies. You said "dearth", not "wealth" (of PH in L.C.) I should pay closer attention

Yepper, I know how it is. My pension amount is similar to yours.

Silver City possibly isn't my cup of tea either, but I'm beginning to believe I don't have much choice if I want to get back to dry air. Never been diagnosed yet, but father had asthma and summers are getting rougher each year it seems. Then, there's the lack of sunshine here in the Queen City, compared to New Mexico anyway.

Well, if you find an acceptable solution, please let me know and I'll do the same for you, if you wish.

Good luck whatever you do...
HAHAHA! I wish there were a "wealth" of PH in LC/Dona Ana County! I have major respiratory problems and the damp winters and humid summers are shortening my already shortened life. You mentioned the "Queen City", so I'm presuming that you're referring to either Cincinnati, OH or Charlotte, NC? I drove truck for 12 years (48 states and Canada), so I can appreciate the smothering humidity in the summer and bone chilling dampness in the winter. Well, until my financial fortunes improve, or I die (whichever comes first!), I'm stuck where I'm at like you're stuck were you're at. Good luck!

Old 05-23-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzernecntygent View Post
HAHAHA! I wish there were a "wealth" of PH in LC/Dona Ana County! I have major respiratory problems and the damp winters and humid summers are shortening my already shortened life. You mentioned the "Queen City", so I'm presuming that you're referring to either Cincinnati, OH or Charlotte, NC? I drove truck for 12 years (48 states and Canada), so I can appreciate the smothering humidity in the summer and bone chilling dampness in the winter. Well, until my financial fortunes improve, or I die (whichever comes first!), I'm stuck where I'm at like you're stuck were you're at. Good luck!
What about mobile homes in LC/Dona Ana County? Rents too high for those too? Too scary a prospect?

"Queen City", as in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:33 PM

When I suggested that mobile homes might be too scary a prospect, followed by that "shocked" icon, I didn't mean it to sound like I was making fun of you in any way (if it sounded that way). I was just trying to make light of it, and acknowledge that mobile homes aren't for everyone.

I was just wondering if you had ever checked that out (rents for mobile homes), cause I would consider it if the mobile home were in good condition and in an acceptable neighborhood.

I know from my previous research a few years ago, there are a number of mobile home parks in Las Cruces. Maybe someone else will have some input about those parks, their neighborhoods, rent, etc.

My ultimate goal would still be Silver City, but could live in Las Cruces while on the waiting list for PH in SC, me thinks (unless I could get used to the summer heat in LC - might stay then). I'll have to make a trip out there when I can - check it all out.

Thanks for your replies luzernecntygent. Best of luck with your health

Last edited by JustPlumDucky; 05-24-2010 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: grammar correction

Old 05-24-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
When I suggested that mobile homes might be too scary a prospect, followed by that "shocked" icon, I didn't mean it to sound like I was making fun of you in any way (if it sounded that way). I was just trying to make light of it, and acknowledge that mobile homes aren't for everyone.

I was just wondering if you had ever checked that out (rents for mobile homes), cause I would consider it if the mobile home were in good condition and in an acceptable neighborhood.

I know from my previous research a few years ago, there are a number of mobile home parks in Las Cruces. Maybe someone else will have some input about those parks, their neighborhoods, rent, etc.

My ultimate goal would still be Silver City, but could live in Las Cruces while on the waiting list for PH in SC, me thinks (unless I could get used to the summer heat in LC - might stay then). I'll have to make a trip out there when I can - check it all out.

Thanks for all your assistance and suggestions. I have spent the past year (literally!) doing trial and error exploration as to locations suitable as an alternative to the Wilkes-Barre, PA area. The common denominator was M-O-N-E-Y! Realistically speaking, I need an income of approximately $1500-1800 per month. My income is half of that required amount! As the old saying goes "Numbers don't lie, and liars have bogus numbers"! So, until I have a change in my financial fortunes (HAHAHA!), I'll be wintering and summering at my present location. Best of luck with your situations and I hope that you are able to find acceptable solutions to your needs.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:

I would think a mobile home park would be considerably safer than public housing in this region.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would think a mobile home park would be considerably safer than public housing in this region.
I don't know if this is appropriate since it isn't my thread, but thx for your input Malamute.

Financial obligation for Housing Choice Voucher (which I qualify for and thus can rent a house on that program - you choose your own...apartment, home, or mobile home) with Region V Housing (Grant County and not sure about what other counties) in Silver City, (also interested in Las Cruces) is 30 per cent of income, and that 30% also pays for basic utilities (heat, water, electric).

Are they're many mobile home parks in Silver City? Or Las Cruces? I would prefer a small two bedroom, if the program permits me a 2-BR (second BR for a small office), but could do with only a one BR of course. Could be a home, an apartment, or a mobile home.

Wondering about the rents there in Las Cruces and Silver City. My income is only just under $1000.00 monthly and I'm not sure what rents for apartments, homes and mobile homes are like in those areas.

Are there many mobile home parks in those areas? Since I can choose my own residence, I'm wondering what kind of neighborhood I would find for rents where 30% of my income would work?

Grateful for any replies. Not asking for a reply from you Luzernecntygent, you've helped more than I could ask for. If this is encroaching on your thread, just let me know and I'll take it to a new thread.

Last edited by JustPlumDucky; 05-30-2010 at 04:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces