Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:33 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times

Advertisements

one question.....who was at fault....if it was you, yo uhave to worry about the $500 if it was the other party you don't...THEY pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 10:40 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
one question.....who was at fault....if it was you, yo uhave to worry about the $500 if it was the other party you don't...THEY pay.
The cop wrote that it was my fault on the ticket. I dont believe it was my fault. This happened in Summerlin right on a bend

I was making a left hand turn at an uncontrolled intersection (no stop light or stop sign). I stopped and when I saw nothing coming I proceeded to make my turn, then from around the bend, the female driver came out of nowhere (I got $5 on it she was speeding too) and slammed into my right rear door. the speed limit on that road is 35 I believe, she was most likely going faster

I didnt see her coming because Trails Center Drive goes around a bend that hides the cars coming on it arent visible until the last second. Honestly I think the cop gave me the ticket because she was the pretty blonde and I was the "punk kid" in his eyes

Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
UGH. So sorry to hear this. I am glad you weren't hurt.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:22 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The cop wrote that it was my fault on the ticket. I don't believe it was my fault. This happened in Summerlin right on a bend

I was making a left hand turn at an uncontrolled intersection (no stop light or stop sign). I stopped and when I saw nothing coming I proceeded to make my turn, then from around the bend, the female driver came out of nowhere (I got $5 on it she was speeding too) and slammed into my right rear door. the speed limit on that road is 35 I believe, she was most likely going faster

I didn't see her coming because Trails Center Drive goes around a bend that hides the cars coming on it aren't visible until the last second. Honestly I think the cop gave me the ticket because she was the pretty blond and I was the "punk kid" in his eyes
Go to court on it. Be prepared to make your case with a chart of what happened. They may give you a form and have you indicate on it where everyone was. You could probably find one on line, or get one at the courthouse so you can do it ahead of time. Make a copy for her and the judge. Go back and see what the speed limit is; it may actually be slower once in the round-about, so check the law. You aren't supposed to hit anyone in front of you if you are in control of your car, that's why it says YELD. If she hit you in the side of your car, you were already there, so it has to be her fault unless you intentionally stop and cause someone to hit you on purpose.

Anyway, that's my probably faulty legal opinion for the day which is worth what you paid for it.

As far as those stupid round-abouts, I believe they cause more accidents then is worth it for the convenience of not stopping. But the reason for them is not to prevent accidents; it's that the accidents are seldom rear enders and fewer people are injured. They are usually side swipe accidents.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
UGH. So sorry to hear this. I am glad you weren't hurt.
Thank you kimba, no I am not hurt but I will probably have to sell my car after it is fixed because I will not be able to afford the insurance after this. This will be my car's 3rd accident in its turbulent life. One accident with the previous owner, and 2 with me.

80,000 miles, a motor replacement, and 3 total accidents all since 2003 when the car rolled off the assembly line.

My car is bad luck

Last edited by DavieJ89; 06-26-2010 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-26-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Go to court on it. Be prepared to make your case with a chart of what happened. Go back and see what the speed limit is; it may actually be slower once in the round-about. Check the law. You aren't supposed to hit anyone in front of you if you are in control of your car, that's why it says YELD. If she hit you in the side of your car, you were already there, so it has to be her fault.

Anyway, that's my probably faulty legal opinion for the day which is worth what you paid for it.

As far as those stupid round-abouts, I believe they cause more accidents then is worth it for the convenience of not stopping. But the reason for them is not to prevent accidents; it's that the accidents are seldom rear enders and fewer people are injured. They are usually side swipe accidents.
It didnt happen at a roundabout (but I HATE that Summerlin has SO MANY of them especially on Town Center Drive ) It was just a curvy road and I didnt see her coming around the curve

Old 06-26-2010, 12:36 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
I agree with Buzz. If she hit you in the rear passenger door, then you were already there (right or wrong)and it would appear to me that she was not in control of her situation.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:15 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Davie, whatever you do DON'T go to meet a GEICO adjuster before you do some legwork on your own. Why? They'll look at your car & estimate the minimum, trying to lowball you & minimize their cost.

What should you do? Be proactive - go to a few highly respected (i.e. not cheap) body shops & get estimates to get your car fixed. Make sure they cover everything & don't cut corners. Now, (most expensive) estimates in hand you can go to your insurance (GEICO) & say "Here's what it'll cost to fix my car." They'll still probably go through their own estimate process, but at least you've given them a baseline so they can't try to shortchange you. At that point, they'll probably give you a check & let you know if additional work needs to be authorized the body shop can contact them directly. Hopefully, you'll find a body shop that can do the (quality) work for less than the amount of the check they give you.

Hopefully it goes without saying that, while you need to look out for yourself, you also want to be careful to not commit insurance fraud. (i.e. Don't lie to try to get work done not related to the accident, that type of stuff.)

Being proactive & taking initiative is probably the best way for you to get a favorable outcome from all this stuff. Good luck.
This is excellent advice!

Old 06-26-2010, 07:45 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Uh oh, bet get Maaco. Seriously, Maaco has always waived my deductible. Glad to hear you were not hurt. It looks like you are going to have a drive a car like me. I was in your shoes before, and my insurance totally went through the roof when I got in an at fault accident.

http://maaco.com/

EDIT: I just noticed you have not changed to Progressive insurance yet. DO IT RIGHT NOW! You can avoid the rate increase if you do.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:55 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post

What should you do? Be proactive - go to a few highly respected (i.e. not cheap) body shops & get estimates to get your car fixed. ...
Do you have suggestions for a few highly respected body shops? I'm in a similar situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas