Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:49 AM

8 posts, read 35,597 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I have been reading all the posts about problems with dogs barking on here and I can not read anymore. How ridiculous. I grew up in Vegas and I am moving back to Vegas in 1 week and I have 3 full grown boxers that are part of my family. After all the crap I hear I may not even live in Clark County because it is ridiculous. My dogs are treated very well but do stay in their crates while I am at work. It is normal and healthy for dogs to sleep for long periods throughout the day. They are always out when I am home. I do believe that 110 degrees is too hot for dogs to continuously be outside. And the barking issue I believe people in Vegas take this wayyyyyyyy toooooo far. Dogs are Dogs and are going to bark. Now I do believe that they should not be barking for hours at a time. That would drive someone nuts but I dont think the answer is a bark collar or even worse to cut their vocal cords that is inhumane. Dogs need exercise. If they are worn out they will not be barking for hours at a time. Half of the problems are with the people NOT the dogs. If you can't take care of a pet DONT get one. But I think with the law in Vegas way to many people go over board about the dogs barking thing. This should not be such a big deal. Exercise them in the morning and at night and they will be calm for the day. This does not mean stick them outside with a toy. They will get a little exercise but not as much as if the owner participates with them. Isn't that the point of having a dog is for enjoyment and to be a part of your life. Dogs are suppose to bark. They should not be forced by humans to stay silent 100% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
oooooooookay

Old 07-26-2010, 03:54 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
TexasLady, I understand what you are saying about the dogs barking. The owners are the one's that need to do something where dogs are not barking continously all day and all night. I think crating can work, as long as you are in your own home, not attached living and keep the windows shut while gone. With all the homes so close together, and the block walls, the barking sets up an echo effect.

I think you can find something in Las Vegas with your dogs. They seem to be well-behaved and so you must be a good owner. Good luck wherever you decide to live.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslady2010 View Post
Hello All, I have been reading all the posts about problems with dogs barking on here and I can not read anymore. How ridiculous. I grew up in Vegas and I am moving back to Vegas in 1 week and I have 3 full grown boxers that are part of my family. After all the crap I hear I may not even live in Clark County because it is ridiculous. My dogs are treated very well but do stay in their crates while I am at work. It is normal and healthy for dogs to sleep for long periods throughout the day. They are always out when I am home. I do believe that 110 degrees is too hot for dogs to continuously be outside. And the barking issue I believe people in Vegas take this wayyyyyyyy toooooo far. Dogs are Dogs and are going to bark. Now I do believe that they should not be barking for hours at a time. That would drive someone nuts but I dont think the answer is a bark collar or even worse to cut their vocal cords that is inhumane. Dogs need exercise. If they are worn out they will not be barking for hours at a time. Half of the problems are with the people NOT the dogs. If you can't take care of a pet DONT get one. But I think with the law in Vegas way to many people go over board about the dogs barking thing. This should not be such a big deal. Exercise them in the morning and at night and they will be calm for the day. This does not mean stick them outside with a toy. They will get a little exercise but not as much as if the owner participates with them. Isn't that the point of having a dog is for enjoyment and to be a part of your life. Dogs are suppose to bark. They should not be forced by humans to stay silent 100% of the time.
I love dogs. In fact, I have two.

To put it simply, a persons right to quiet enjoyment of their property supercedes my right to own a dog.

If my dogs barking were troublesome enough to a neighbor, it is my duty to fix the problem. Incessant barking is a nuisance. When my dogs are outside, they are supervised. One peep out of them and they comply.

Perhaps Clark County is too restrictive for you. We have a lot of homes built close together and it can cost you more to acquire some land. I might reconsider moving here if it bothers you to the point of ranting without having lived here.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:05 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,798 times
If people are having trouble with their neighbor's dogs barking there are Untrasonic Bark Deterents that you can buy and mount on the side of your house where the dog barks.

These machines emit an ultrasonic sound that people don't hear but is very irritating to dogs and your neighbor's dogs will quickly learn that if they bark they will get an immedate unpleasant feedback to S the FU.

Your neighbor will never know what you are doing and you will finally have peace.

I have seen these devices on line at a website called Frontgate.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 AM

22 posts, read 40,852 times
Default Is this dog owner for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
...a persons right to quiet enjoyment of their property supercedes my right to own a dog.

If my dogs barking were troublesome enough to a neighbor, it is my duty to fix the problem.
I didn't know there were people who believed this. My neighborhood is a round-the-clock barkfest. I called the cops about the nearest dog, who barks and growls angrily throughout the day. They said I should contact the person myself first. But, they said, be careful. People tend to react with hostility when you complain about their loyal guard dogs.

I thought it was odd they would suggest putting myself in danger. I decided life is to short to start a feud.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:24 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Quail View Post
I didn't know there were people who believed this. My neighborhood is a round-the-clock barkfest. I called the cops about the nearest dog, who barks and growls angrily throughout the day. They said I should contact the person myself first. But, they said, be careful. People tend to react with hostility when you complain about their loyal guard dogs.

I thought it was odd they would suggest putting myself in danger. I decided life is to short to start a feud.

The police aren't necessarily neighborhood babysitters. Dealing with barking dogs is really pretty trivial for them and doesn't really get resolved very often in my experience. Actually talking to a neighbor without going through a third party almost seems like a thing of the past.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:30 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Quail View Post

Agreed...I'd say they were "barking up the wrong tree" with that suggestion!

Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM

89 posts, read 232,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslady2010 View Post
Now I do believe that they should not be barking for hours at a time.
Well, at least we agree on something!

So, would you say one hour of incessant barking is a reasonable??? How about a half hour? How about 10 minutes of barking every time I step out into my backyard? I guess that's reasonable since "dogs are supposed to bark", right?

Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Don't forget that a barking dog protects the home from intruders. If your neighbor's dog is barking it is probably protecting your home too. You should thank him and shut up about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: