Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 01:11 PM

98 posts, read 542,339 times

Advertisements

I've been reading up on them (aka evaporative coolers), seems like a perfect low cost way to cool in Las Vegas.

Anyone use one? Thoughts?

I'm planning on buying a portable unit for up to 750 ft2 to try out.

My CAC is dead. If it works well I might replace it with a whole house swamp system. Cheaper to buy than CAC (2/3 the cost per unit) and cheaper to run...
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 PM

307 posts, read 1,222,662 times
Your house might be getting mold....That's UNhealthy

Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 PM

In order for a swamp cooler to work properly you are supposed to leave windows open (2ft2 per 500 cfm). This should prohibit the mold.

For me this is another selling point. I like to let fresh air circulate in a house.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,721,022 times
The portable units I own was just too noisy. I keep them for an emergency if the AC ever goes out.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:50 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
I have one for the garage.....doesnt work fer #$%^
it needs to draw warm dry air. As it fills up the grages the air is now moist and the cooling goes down ....

Old 07-29-2010, 01:52 PM

157 posts, read 276,858 times
I used a swamp cooler in a home I used to own in Ca and it worked great, although because it was an older unit it was noisy. Maybe newer ones are quieter. Also, never had the windows open at any time and there was no mold in my home. It was used in a large family room area and actually cooled quite a large area and yes, my a/c bills I'm sure were lower than the usual central refrig a/c units of neighbors. I was home all day and it sure helped to keep the bills lower. Keep the pads clean and cover the unit properly during the winter.

Unless you had a huge amount of moisture building up in a room for some reason, I wouldn't think mold would be an issue. People have used these things for years and unfortunately evap coolers stopped being popular, I guess the electric company didn't like 'em lol....not enough $$ flowing their way....also some people in the old days let them get unsightly, rusty, sticking out of windows so I suppose evap coolers got sort of a "ghetto" reputation, which is unfortunate because in a dry clime like LV they would work great. Not sure if an HOA would let you put one in a window that could be seen from the street, depending on their rules. But that's a whole other subject lol...

Old 07-29-2010, 02:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
I use them in my warehouse and the humidity gets to around 60%. I dont know if I'd want that in a home.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:40 PM

I saw a video of a guy who made is own. He wanted to cool the courtyard garden of his AZ home so he tie wrapped a small misting hose to a box fan. The temp dropped from 113 to 98!

A nice thing about the portable units is that you can use them outside for a BBQ...

I think the higher humidity will be a good thing because I have a lot of wood furniture and I tend to get dehydrated quickly. It's also better for your skin.

I'm going to put off replacing my broken CAC until fall/winter so I will have plenty of time to research the whole house systems. It's really shocking how much less the units cost compared to equivalent CAC, not to mention the energy savings! Might be okay to go with whole house swamp unit and supplement with a window AC in the bedroom. (I don't need my house to be 72 deg!)

Huge selling point for me is that they work better with a window or door open, with CAC it's like blowing $s outside every time you open a door!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Many discussions of swamp coolers can be found on the Arizona forums.

They work well in a desert climate, but have been replaced by AC in popularity for two reasons. They require more maintenance (and some of that maintenance includes a person going up on the roof) and no matter how well they work, they can never cool off a building to the degree (no pun intended) that AC can.

Even if you can lower the temperature in your home from 105 to 90 ... that's still too hot in my book. If that's OK with you and you're willing to do the maintenance, you'll certainly save money with a evaporative cooling.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:51 PM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times
Keeps my shop cool for cheap--not sure I'd use it at the house, if I ever get a 200$ electric bill I might reconsider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: