Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 05:36 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I wouldn't have any sympathy either. There will always be those that think nothing applies to them. Despite greed bringing down the economy, there are still those that are convinced greed is their way out. I take pride in knowing that karma is real even if it is only as real as it's deteriorating effect on the greedy's thinking; which eventually destroys their life. Mind you, someone could manage to make loads of cash and still destroy their life in so many ways.

Although generous, your extension of good pay and incredible benefits had likely made them too comfortable and they took the job for granted. I don't know what industry you are in but I can guarantee there are lots of people willing to work twice as hard for half as much and actually show appreciation.
I think that attitude is a problem. The worse the economy gets the more
my employer flaunts that fact at us. I don't know how many times I have heard my boss say "don't like it? There are hundreds behind you waiting to
take your spot." It's to the point that it's an abusive threat where they think they can get around laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 06:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Maybe so, but how many are under-employed?

Unfortunately, I don't see the local economy getting better for a very long time.
The REAL rate of unemployment is usually 50% of the official unemployment value added to it. So if it is 14.2%, 50% of that is 7.1 added to 14.2 is a REAL rate of 21.3%

Old 08-21-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasnewbie View Post
No but it's not only finding work weighing on me, I don't have a car which is very difficult to live in this city without one. I feel stuck, especially where I'm living now. I didn't do as much research as I should have on LV's public transportation system. I figured it was a big enough city to have reliable transportation. And without a job how can one save up for a car, you can't.
I am sure that the public transportation in LV is better than it is in Montana. But yes, having a car is nice.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
What's crazy is that people in this town who are fortunate enough to work don't seem to appreciate that at all. I had to fire two employees from my small business today (both making roughly $40k a year with fully paid health benefits, company vehicles, 5% 1/1 401K match, paid gas cards, and paid car insurance) because, despite several warnings, they were still working on "freelance" personal projects during business hours.

Both of them were stupid enough to use our e-mail system and leave the evidence in folders right on their desktops.

And here's where I'm a bit of a hardass.. I'm not about to pay both of these people 99 weeks of unemployment because they weren't "willful" in their violation of company policy (even though they really were). Both were officially fired for "theft of company property" (hey, they were stealing my time!) which means they'll be ineligible for unemployment benefits. If they challenge it, it's my word against theirs, and I haven't lost a challenge yet.

Sorry, but if you want to come into my business and work on other peoples' projects while I'm paying you, I have zero sympathy.

Oh well, at least they'll be replaced (hopefully, knock wood) with people who will actually appreciate the opportunity to have a stable, decent paying job with benefits in this terrible economy.
Why don't you interview LasVegasNewbie to fill one of those positions? That would solve your problem of finding a good employee- he sounds like he wants to work hard- and 2 of his problems of not having a car or a job!

Old 08-21-2010, 07:20 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I think that attitude is a problem. The worse the economy gets the more
my employer flaunts that fact at us. I don't know how many times I have heard my boss say "don't like it? There are hundreds behind you waiting to
take your spot." It's to the point that it's an abusive threat where they think they can get around laws.

I think you mistake me. I'm not saying it's a good thing for employers to use that as a weapon. I'm saying it purely as a fact that those who think they can still do everything half assed and go to sleep feeling as though they have job security are fooling themselves.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:17 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
No but it's not only finding work weighing on me, I don't have a car which is very difficult to live in this city without one. I feel stuck, especially where I'm living now. I didn't do as much research as I should have on LV's public transportation system. I figured it was a big enough city to have reliable transportation. And without a job how can one save up for a car, you can't.
Personally, I would look for a room to rent for $300-$400 a month instead of getting another apartment that you cannot afford. It is going to be nearly impossible to get a job without a car as you are finding out. Even my low paying security guard company will not hire anyone without a vehicle. With the money you would save from renting a room you could easily buy a cheap transportation car within a month or two. After you get a car you could get a job and then get your own place.

las vegas rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

Old 08-21-2010, 09:37 PM

98 posts, read 186,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Why don't you interview LasVegasNewbie to fill one of those positions? That would solve your problem of finding a good employee- he sounds like he wants to work hard- and 2 of his problems of not having a car or a job!
Hi KevK, I'm actually a female

Old 08-21-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Personally, I would look for a room to rent for $300-$400 a month instead of getting another apartment that you cannot afford. It is going to be nearly impossible to get a job without a car as you are finding out. Even my low paying security guard company will not hire anyone without a vehicle. With the money you would save from renting a room you could easily buy a cheap transportation car within a month or two. After you get a car you could get a job and then get your own place.

las vegas rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist
Hi LVD, I have already signed the paperwork for my new apartment. It will all fall into place in time. Just a struggle right now.

The new place is on the 201 line which runs every 15 minutes, so that will be much better for me.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:57 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Hi LVD, I have already signed the paperwork for my new apartment. It will all fall into place in time. Just a struggle right now.

The new place is on the 201 line which runs every 15 minutes, so that will be much better for me.
Well, we are all rooting for you since you really do not want to go back to Montana. The main struggle is going to get a job that pays more than unemployment without a vehicle. I know from my struggles on getting a job here the first question I was asked is if I had reliable transportation, and employers do not consider the bus reliable. Regardless, I wish the best of luck to you.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Well, we are all rooting for you since you really do not want to go back to Montana. The main struggle is going to get a job that pays more than unemployment without a vehicle. I know from my struggles on getting a job here the first question I was asked is if I had reliable transportation, and employers do not consider the bus reliable. Regardless, I wish the best of luck to you.
Thank you so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: