Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:31 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times

Advertisements

I am sure many are going to wonder why I would post this since I am a local who loves Las Vegas. Personally, I thought I would post this before a troll inevitably did. To all the unhappy trolls who still live here, it is now time to go, and hopefully never come back LOL.

Unemployment in Las Vegas climbs to 13.9 percent - Breaking News - ReviewJournal.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 02:16 PM

990 posts, read 2,556,922 times
The man who drowned was in water 10 ft. over his head...

However, officials said it could have been worse... The water could have been 11 ft over his head.

14% is roughly ONE IN SEVEN persons out of work.

Just when do you recognize a crisis for what it is... A CRISIS.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am sure many are going to wonder why I would post this since I am a local who loves Las Vegas. Personally, I thought I would post this before a troll inevitably did. To all the unhappy trolls who still live here, it is now time to go, and hopefully never come back LOL.

Unemployment in Las Vegas climbs to 13.9 percent - Breaking News - ReviewJournal.com
Keep in mind that's just the official number released by the Government (BLS). They usually refer to this as U3. The more accurate number is known as U6. On a nationwide basis, U6 is more than 50% greater than U3. If we apply this to the 13.9% U3 in LV, the U6 probably in the 20-24% range.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:37 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
I don't understand how posting factual information is "doom and gloom".

The situation is what it is.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
That is the reported rate. Not counted in these statics are those out of work for more than a year and those only able to get part time work at best.

I would guess the real LV unemplayment rate with all true variables included would be 23+%, not only 14% IMO.

California is near a similar number as well.

Obamenomics, gots to love it. Wait a little now and your also going to see a second stock market crash IMO.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Actually the RJ play is pretty positive. The bottom is approached. Down relatively less than the prior periods and employment gains picking up.

Given that all along we have been looking at forecasts of 15% or more I would think it is better news than expected. It would indicate a bottom at 14% or so.

The number is certainly bad and worse that the average by 50%...but 86% are still working. That is not far off the 90% in the rest of the nation.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post

Count me as a troll will ya? LOL... no worries. I might be a troll, but I'm a happy troll. Let's look on the bright side, the sooner the recovery the sooner I can get gone and you all will be rid of me! --- and vise versa! Now there's something worth hoping for!

Meanwhile, I'm stuck in this hella town and trying to find a bright side of living in Sin City --- besides the lights. It is what it is and I'll deal with it. I have for 10 very L-O-N-G years. Sigh.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:13 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually the RJ play is pretty positive. The bottom is approached. Down relatively less than the prior periods and employment gains picking up.

Given that all along we have been looking at forecasts of 15% or more I would think it is better news than expected. It would indicate a bottom at 14% or so.

The number is certainly bad and worse that the average by 50%...but 86% are still working. That is not far off the 90% in the rest of the nation.

Now, see, that's a better of looking at it! Thanks Olecapt!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:31 PM

106 posts, read 222,816 times
Default Knowledge is power!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I don't understand how posting factual information is "doom and gloom".

The situation is what it is.

People please keep talking about how bad is it in Vegas!!! Maybe the politicians will hear us. A long time ago, they should have attracted other businesses besides gaming. Now the way I see it, Vegas will be the last to recover. Housing prices in Vegas continue to decine.

These are facts!!!!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjimb View Post
People please keep talking about how bad is it in Vegas!!! Maybe the politicians will here us and diverse our economy. Vegas will be the last to recover. This is a fact!!!
Las Vegas is about the same as Sacremento and a little better than the Inland Empire. It will not recover last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas