Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 AM

687 posts, read 1,945,433 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the answers on which 6 stores closing. Looks like the one on Centennial Center (nearest me) will remain open , although I didn't see it on the Dex list. If it were to close it certainly wouldn't help that shopping center since there are enough vacancies already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Default Good news...maybe?

I asked the eight ball if Las Vegas will ever recover from this recession? Here was the answer:

Old 10-12-2010, 09:51 AM

113 posts, read 306,277 times
Default electronic 8 Ball ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I'm not really sure if that would work the right way... you can shake it and shake it and it mostly gives you the same answer.

I just asked the magic 8 ball this question:
"Will Las Vegas Drunk ever go into a Fresh and Easy store?"
And it replied "Yes."

Magic Eight Ball CGI
That doesn't count,you have to use the desktop one from the 80's

Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I asked the eight ball if Las Vegas will ever recover from this recession? Here was the answer:
Recover from the recession to what level? Will it ever go back to the heights of the boom years? Probably not, at least I hope not. That was money earned on money that wasn't even there to begin with.

Just what will be the new level of recovery here in town? You go in the tourist areas (and I have been there a lot lately, lol) and they are packed, lots of folks on the Strip, downtown, in restaurants, shops, I also see a lot of people moving in (where the heck are they getting jobs?), gaming revenue is up, visitor volume is up, car traffic from Cali is up, I've seen new stores/restaurants opening in neighborhoods...which is all good mind you, but NOT at the levels it was.

So if any of the suits are waiting for their level of profits to come forth based on the boom years and then THEY can problaim "Las Vegas has recovered", they'll keep waiting for the next cycle, boom and bust cycles have always gone on here in town. Everyone thought in the 30's, 40's, 70's and 80's with all the economic depression, that Las Vegas would never grow. But it did, after each bust. This time I personally hope it stays the way it is, we've had enough growth now in my opinion.

The suits are going to have to get used to the new, more normal level of the Las Vegas economy. The way it should have been had the boom never happened.

Sorry, this was off topic a bit

Last edited by MomMom; 10-12-2010 at 10:12 AM..

Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Recover from the recession to what level? Will it ever go back to the heights of the boom years? Probably not, at least I hope not. That was money earned on money that wasn't even there to begin with.

Just what will be the new level of recovery here in town? You go in the tourist areas (and I have been there a lot lately, lol) and they are packed, lots of folks on the Strip, downtown, in restaurants, shops, I also see a lot of people moving in (where the heck are they getting jobs?), gaming revenue is up, visitor volume is up, car traffic from Cali is up, I've seen new stores/restaurants opening in neighborhoods...which is all good mind you, but NOT at the levels it was.

So if any of the suits are waiting for their level of profits to come forth based on the boom years and then THEY can problaim "Las Vegas has recovered", they'll keep waiting for the next cycle, boom and bust cycles have always gone on here in town. Everyone thought in the 30's, 40's, 70's and 80's with all the economic depression, that Las Vegas would never grow. But it did, after each bust. This time I personally hope it stays the way it is, we've had enough growth now in my opinion.

The suits are going to have to get used to the new, more normal level of the Las Vegas economy. The way it should have been had the boom never happened.

Great post I would never want to see Vegas like it was when I moved here in 2004. It was hell, much worse than now IMO. I still could not get a job and had to return back to Phoenix within a few months.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:

Good point...and right on topic, IMO, if you reread original post. Is it possible that the current Las Vegas...IS the recovered Las Vegas?

And if so...is it possible that tourist Vegas can be self-sustaining in its present state?...while resident Vegas crumbles? And when I say "crumble"...I mean scale back to the point where the current tourist part sustains community living. If so, what about the wake that the recession will leave? It's kind of like a balloon that has been blown up almost to the point of popping. Then air is slowly released...and you're left with a shrivelled up half-blown up balloon that you see when you clean up after the backyard party the next day. What will happen to the communities, such as SW that were half-built, half-finished...and homes that are foreclosed...and stores/malls that have left?

Serious questions.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Good point...and right on topic, IMO, if you reread original post. Is it possible that the current Las Vegas...IS the recovered Las Vegas?

And if so...is it possible that tourist Vegas can be self-sustaining in its present state?...while resident Vegas crumbles? And when I say "crumble"...I mean scale back to the point where the current tourist part sustains community living. If so, what about the wake that the recession will leave? It's kind of like a balloon that has been blown up almost to the point of popping. Then air is slowly released...and you're left with a shrivelled up half-blown up balloon that you see when you clean up after the backyard party the next day. What will happen to the communities, such as SW that were half-built, half-finished...and homes that are foreclosed...and stores/malls that have left?

Serious questions.
You don't have to worry about the foreclosed homes, they will eventually be all bought up, it'll take time though to get through them all. Unfinished major projects? Echelon, Fontainebleu the Summerlin Centre Mall, Manhattan West? I guess they'll be finished in due time, private money and foreign investors always seem to come to the rescue when the suits can't come up with the dough.

And that's where it should stop, finish what's already here and build/develop no more. I noticed recently that construction workers are always working on the land west of the current Summerlin Parkway, getting it ready to be developed with the next communities going on line for Summerlin. Right up to the base of the Spring Range. I personally hope it never gets developed, enough is enough now.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:44 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
I would like to see Las Vegas go back to the way it was back in 2000 and 2001. It was just right then. Plenty of jobs, good flow of steady money, living well.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I would like to see Las Vegas go back to the way it was back in 2000 and 2001. It was just right then. Plenty of jobs, good flow of steady money, living well.
I actually liked the late 80's to early 90's, building and development going on for sure, but at a much slower pace, it was steady and in keeping with the times.

Those years you mentioned pinkie were good as well. Our home values are already at those year's prices, lol.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
You don't have to worry about the foreclosed homes, they will eventually be all bought up, it'll take time though to get through them all. Unfinished major projects? Echelon, Fontainebleu the Summerlin Centre Mall, Manhattan West? I guess they'll be finished in due time, private money and foreign investors always seem to come to the rescue when the suits can't come up with the dough.

And that's where it should stop, finish what's already here and build/develop no more. I noticed recently that construction workers are always working on the land west of the current Summerlin Parkway, getting it ready to be developed with the next communities going on line for Summerlin. Right up to the base of the Spring Range. I personally hope it never gets developed, enough is enough now.
Wishful thinking. The whole world loves to go to Vegas to make money in developments whenever they believe there is growth to be had. If they can finish all the unfinished stuff now then certainly they will believe in growth. As for the suits in Vegas, they just run what they are given. Very little of the money comes from Vegas itself, its all raised worldwide. When investors in almost every other part of the world hear how cheap land is and how cheap houses are they salivate and think when is the right time to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas