Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM

412 posts, read 916,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
If there are restrictions on leasing they would likely have been created after 2007 by the Association via an amendment to the Declaration. You would need an official CIC document package to find this or a recorder search.

I would think this one difficult as it requires a 2/3 vote to change the Declaration and likely approval from some set of first mortgage holders. But again the HOA would be the source for this information
I'll try calling a second time and talking to Candy and seeing if there is a new document restricting leasing that Lavida was unaware of when she answered my question.

It all seems very bizarre because either there are no restrictions as the document shows, or there are restrictions and they aren't being enforced because there is currently at least 1 unit listed for sale as an investment property on Loopnet. It's the largest 3 bedroom floorplan listed for $97,995.

There have been others they have specifically been listed as investment properties.
Wording of the listing included:
Quote:
It originally sold in 2007 for $207,000 (39 cents on the dollar)
The last model match of this size we rented was at $975 per month (just recently).
This unit will be virtually move in ready with very little rehab required.
It comes with all of the appliances in place.
The kitchen is upgraded with corian counters and tile flooring.
As an approved short sale it ready to go at $79,995 today with no multiple bidding.
This condo has low HOA fees of $156 a month and will CAP out at 10% with a $975 renter in place and all costs included.
Those listings would imply renting to new owners is not restricted and they are being actively marketed to investors.

Last edited by Tires; 03-03-2011 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 PM

I just got an answer from Candy at Terrawest.
There are no rental restrictions preventing leasing out units or capping them at a limited number for anyone at Sky Pointe.
I have it both in writing from the CC&Rs and directly from the HOA property management company now.
It simply must be leased as a single family dwelling and not for commercial purposes (vacation rentals etc).

I was right all along and everyone that was contradicting me is wrong.
Every time I would show why I see no restrictions, someone comes back with some excuse why I'm wrong about it.

I see many leases in Craigslist: They say it must be old owners grandfathered into an exemption.
I talk to a rep that says there are no restrictions: They say I talked to the wrong rep.
I have and post a link to a copy of the CC&Rs that says leasing is allowed: They say amendments must have been added and the doc I posted is wrong.
I see on Loopnet.com listings for Sky Point condo units for sale as investment properties etc.: No answer.
I finally hear from a second rep for the HOA and now have 2 out of 2 reps saying the same thing and documents that back up what both said.

No more room for debating this.

Last edited by Tires; 03-04-2011 at 06:27 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 07:02 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,449,312 times
Kudos for doing the leg work necessary to get an accurate answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
There are no rental restrictions preventing leasing out units or capping them at a limited number for anyone at Sky Pointe.
I have it both in writing from the CC&Rs and directly from the HOA property management company now.
It simply must be leased as a single family dwelling and not for commercial purposes (vacation rentals etc).

Every time I would show why I see no restrictions, someone comes back with some excuse why I'm wrong about it.

I see many leases in Craigslist: They say it must be old owners grandfathered into an exemption.
I talk to a rep that says there are no restrictions: They say I talked to the wrong rep.
I have and post a link to a copy of the CC&Rs that says leasing is allowed: They say amendments must have been added and the doc I posted is wrong.
I see on Loopnet.com listings for Sky Point condo units for sale as investment properties etc.: No answer.
I finally hear from a second rep for the HOA and now have 2 out of 2 reps saying the same thing and documents that back up what both said.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:19 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post

Yeah...I think you are correct. Remember though there does exist a listing that states definitively that restrictions are in place. It appears to be wrong...but you have to work these things through to determine that.

And even after the Candy response I would read the doc package very carefully before I bought.

Note that the loop net listing is long since sold. The agent on that listing confirms that there are no rental restrictions and he has clearly worked the issue.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:37 PM

Yes, I would read the current CC&Rs at the time of purchase since changes about almost anything in it can be made between now and when I would buy.
I don't have any plans to rent it out if I were to buy, but this lets me know what I would be buying into and sets the expectation of what living there would be like.
With unlimited rentals and living around alot of renters, a condo there is worth less to me than it would have been if rentals were restricted. Too many rentals may cap future appreciation below its potential since they will not be attractive to investors who want to rent them when they sell over a certain price that allows them a good monthly profit margin and they also won't be attractive to owner occupants if they become difficult to finance with too many tenants living there.

There was more than one Loopnet listing. The smaller one is off the market, but the larger is still on the website. Listing ID 16794509. Listed as an income investment property.

Last edited by Tires; 03-04-2011 at 10:53 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,078 times
Do not purchase a condo at Maralago HOA 3125 N. Buffalo Drive & 3150 Soft Breezes Dr Las Vegas, NV 89128

The yellow and red lines throughout the community have not been painted in years. The fire hydrant yellow paint is visible as the paint has chipped away. The color of the fire hydrants should be RED. It’s a huge eye soar.

The Board of Directors do not keep owner’s confidential information private. Should an owner receive a violation, everyone in the community will know then weigh in on it. Getting a fair hearing in this community is impossible.

The Board of Directors do not care about most of the owners nor do they listen and respond to complaints filed. Most of the owners have given up hope. Their complaints have gone unanswered. Therefore they don’t even bother going to the board meetings.

The community is currently under litigation.

The community’s attorney, Matthew Goden is more interested in making money than doing what’s right for the community. He along with the rest of the Board Members have violated owner’s rights by leaking confidential executive board information to the public then discussing it with non owners. This violates state law.

The Board of Directors look for the bad in everything then spreads rumors in hopes to discredit those who challenge them.

The outgoing mail box cover in the East mail center has been missing for years. Jack Kelley, the shoo-in Treasure with the loud and whiny pitched voice told the owners that he goes to the post office weekly to mail his letters so we should too. And that the sent mail box is susceptible to vandalism. Our own personal boxes could be vandalized so we should all stop receiving mail??

Patty Foster, the Vice President is a Realtor yet she sits on the Board. She only cares about title and notoriety, she cares nothing for the community and it’s owners. I personally approached her about my mail box cover being broken. When I moved to the community, the cover was barely hanging on one hinge. After a year, it came off. For three months, I had to go to the post office to pick up my mail because she and the other Board Members refuse to fix it. The President at the time who wasn’t an owner, just a renter told me that I broke the cover, and the camera above the mail center caught me in the act, yet the cameras don’t even work. The fact that she was president for 10 years speaks volumes as it violated the CC&R’s as only owners can run for the board. Since the president made the accusations and refused to fix the mail cover, I approached other board members specifically Patty Fuller who said I can help, I’m a board member. It went in one ear and right out the other. She never did get back with me. Only after I called the Post Master General did they take action. She walks around this community barking orders as if she owns it. Her along with the other 3 board members exploit the use of the security that patrols our community to strong arm owners.

Also it should be noted that Patty Foster is the only person in this community with a tiled porch. This violates the CC&R’s yet the BOD and Community Manager refuse to take action.

The community just spent over $20K to fix the club house. It has been flooded over 6 times in the past years because the drain in the men’s bathroom is higher than the rest of the floor. There’s no place for the water to go except into the club house and gym. When the walls were torn open, there was a lot of mold.

When I moved here, I was told there were closed circuit cameras, but come to find out they never worked.

The BOD claim they want to be kinder, but in fact they only want to stick it to the owners by imposing their values on us. Jack Kelley, the treasurer has a cold heart. He will get in your face when people are around then cry wolf when alone. One owner told me who is in collection that the BOD refused his proposal to pay down his debt by paying so much per month. His proposal was rejected. The owners was told to pay more money. We are in hard times right now. This is not being kinder!

This is an owners only community. In other words, only owners can occupy the condos unless one were to have bought theirs prior to 2005. However, there are many renters who live in units that have been purchased after 2005. It took many letters and phone calls to get the BOD to do their fiduciary duty. After 2 years of complaining they finally took it under consideration.

The community manager http://cmg-hoa.com fails to respond to owner’s request and concerns. One needs to send a certified letter to get any kind of response, even then request and concerns go unaddressed.

The community held a Board Meeting outside in 17-20mph Gust Winds, 88 Degrees, with the sun beating down, and expect owners and other BOD’s to accept this. The community owns three condos they could have easily turned the electric on and held it inside with AC. The Community Manager, Courtney said she has meetings outside all the time. Meanwhile her arms are burnt red from the sun. Skin Cancer is no small matter. Also who wants to go home stinking like sweat. For the few that did know about the meeting being held outside, they all had sunblock and sunglasses. The manager and 4 of the BOD’s hoped that few would show and that the one board member would find it unacceptable and leave thus making it easier for them to approve new items, circumventing that one board member’s authority. Then turn around and accuse the one Board Member of not doing his/her fiduciary duty with a follow up from the community’s attorney.

Maralago Community has had three management companies in the past 2 years because the BOD’s made some bad choices yet they still sit on the board and continue making bad decisions.

The West pool Jacuzzi was in bad disrepair. The tile was missing and green slime was growing everywhere. Jack Kelley refused to fix it. The other Board Members except the one who insisted it be clean and fixed was told it wasn’t important. There were two pool lights that have not worked for a long time. It wasn’t until the one board member called the Health Dept did they take immediate action. Then Jack bullied the board member at the board meeting telling his groupies, the few owners present that it was wrong of him to call the Health Dept.

The East pool has gum all over the pool deck. Part of the pool deck itself is coming up, making it easy to stub one’s toe. The retaining wall adjacent to the jacuzzi has black mold growing in the crevice as the plant bed does not drain properly. Also, the water fountain does not work and hasn’t for a long time.

The security that rides around patrolling has been accused of stalking other owners. Not to mention harassing them for recycling garbage. The security patrol truck is missing a head light.

The maintenance man, Tim Riley rents a unit, yet he works for the community. To this day, I still have not seen his business license or insurance. In fact, he should be bonded as well. To no avail, the manager refuses to share that information because it doesn’t exist.

Tim is giving preferential treatment because he’s in good with the other Board Members who have him work on their cars in the parking lot which violates the CC&R’s. When other non owners come to the board meeting they are told to sit down, they can not talk because they are not owners, yet Tim Riley is always heard. He’s also allowed to park his work truck in the community when clearly it’s evident from the tool box, et al that the truck is used for work. This violates the CC&R’s. Tim also brought around a petition to remove a board member when he himself isn’t an owner. He takes orders usually from Patty Foster as they work together off property at her realtor’s office. In fact, it was Patty who told Tim to solicit the owners to sign a petition to remove a board member who was overwhelmingly elected by the community just a few months prior, myself that is.

The BODs are suppose to get three bids when a major repair is needed. I suspect they are contract steering to certain companies who they favor.

Other concerns:

1) Many stray cats in the community that spray urine everywhere especially my porch.

2) Dog feces everywhere not to mention oversize dogs in the community that violates the CC&R’s.

3) No one ever comes to a complete stop at any of the STOP Signs. There have been a number of close collisions.

4) The bathrooms are not that clean. The men’s shower head is missing and has been since I moved here 3 years ago.

5) The Board is more interested in buying rocks for the ground then fixing the things have been broken for years. For example, the meter room door frames are all non-sealed. Mold is growing in the crevices. The BOD hired a company who in turn took it upon themselves to replace the frame around the meter rooms, yet they never finished.

6) For months I didn’t know where to buy a key to the pool. This information is not made public so for those who are new to the community they have to call around then drive across town to get a key when it should be included in the HOA Move in Packet. One pays a premium to purchase a condo then is nickel and dimed after move in. The globes on the outside porch are sold for $10.00 so if you move in, and there’s one missing, you will be giving a summons to buy one from the community. It would be in the communities best interest to ensure all owners have them so they use their porch light for safety reasons. Jack Kelley insist the owners pay a premium for both the keys and the globe. That is no way to treat an owner who just purchased a unit. This community lacks class.

7) Dead trees throughout the property. Poor landscape maintenance, and the porters that work on site don’t have a clear agenda. Board members don’t even know what they do, who they are, and when they work.

8) The Map at the Buffalo Entrance is severely damaged. The Board wants to replace the sign, but made no mention of preventing it from being damaged. A car can pull up and easily hit it as has been the case over the years. From what I can see, the BOD and the Manager fail to adequately protect the community’s investment. Case in point, the club house if fixed right the first time would not have flooded 6 times. We could have a state of the art gym with all the wasted money for repairs. In fact, the gym equipment is old and has never been replaced except the tread mill which breaks down often. Only few people use the gym because of this not to mention that it smelled really bad before because of the mold in the walls. The lock on the gym door has not been fixed in years. It’s very difficult to open the door, it requires a lot of strength. We have a lot of senior citizens in this community who have not been able to turn the key to gain access.

9) The community changed the gate code, yet didn’t publish the new code for the owners. It should be posted on Mar A Lago Homeowners Association - Home Page along with other information as to where to buy a key and a light globe as well as the price. It seems they don’t want owners to use the facilities by making it hard for them to obtain keys.

10) There is a lot of vandalism in the community because the cameras don’t work and the security doesn’t adequately patrol the facilities. For example, when the club house flooded the culprit stuck paper down the toilet which happens often, yet they refuse to purchase commercial toilets that are air assisted flush.

11) Both saunas in the club house have not worked for years. No mention of fixing it.

12) When it rains, many of the buildings have leaks. The roofs were not fixed properly. Attempts to remedy the problem seem illogical. None of the Board Members except the one have any experience. They rely on the vendors who they steer contracts to assess and fix the problems. Sort of like the mechanic who never gives an honest assessment in hopes of running up the bill for repairs.

In conclusion, to all those realtors and potential buyers, please do your due diligence.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:26 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Sounds to me like you care a lot.

So get a few friends and run for the board. Then you can fix all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas