Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:20 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am VERY upset with this city now. I just got pulled over for speeding when I was driving to work this week. They even doubled the fine so now I have to pay $600 (two weeks pay for me) for going 7mph over the speed limit. I now hate this city and would love to see its demise.
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Or in this case: Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SivUT1x7j18
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 10:30 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
If the city is indeed looking upon moving violations to bring in additional revenue and protect the jobs of police/patrol officers, then why not target these loud, thumping boom cars on the streets/highways?

In some areas of the country the fines for these noise terrorists are now as high as $3000 (In Oregon, $1500 for the first offense). Wouldn't that be more lucrative for the city than
penny-ante speeding tickets?

Old 11-06-2010, 10:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
If you're driving with out-of-state plates, be happy if you get off with a speeding ticket. A dear friend of mine from California, along with her middle-aged husband and mentally challenged teenaged daughter, had a terrible experience when visiting LV last year.

After an afternoon of doing touristy things on the strip, they were headed back to their pet-friendly motel to take their elderly dog outside for a break. My friend was driving the family sedan, her husband was in the front seat beside her, and their daughter was in the back seat. It was broad daylight, they were all wearing seatbelts, and were within the speed limit. Their car was suddenly pulled over by a LV police car. To their utter shock, their car was approached by police with guns drawn. In a few minutes those officers were joined by plainclothes officers from an unmarked car who also had guns drawn. The three were removed from the car one-by-one, were separated and made to kneel on the ground with their hands behind their heads, not allowed to look at each other. Their daughter became hysterical and the cops were yelling and swearing at her. My friend tried to explain to them that she has cognition problems and was frightened, but they just swore at her and screamed nonstop that she should ****.

My friend's husband offered to show photo IDs, both a legal driver's license and a photo ID from a prominent corporation where he is an executive. They didn't want to see it. My friend tried to explain to the officer holding a gun on her that she is an employee of a California government agency and she offered to show that ID. They were held for approximately 20 minutes, with cops continually screaming at them in a frightening manner, but refusing to explain what they had done. The officers conferred for quite awhile on the police radio. Suddenly, just a quickly as it began, they were told to return to their car and leave the area. No explanation. No apology.

My friend was so frightened she could hardly drive (her husband has an eye problem and couldn't), but she went straight to the nearest police department they were able to find via their GPS device. At the station, the duty officer told them to "shake it off," it was none of their business why they were pulled over, and they should move along and stop asking questions.

Needless to say, they collected their dog and their wits, and went home. They have a neighbor who is retired sheriff; they consulted him and he was able to find out that they were stopped because of a "mistake." Apparently, their license number was close to that of someone wanted by police, but not exactly the same, and their car didn't match the sought car. For some reason, that was enough for them to be treated that way. Twenty minutes for an officer to realize he had read a plate number wrong?

My friends used to spend the weekend in LV several times a year. They haven't been back since the incident. They go to Palm Springs now. So much for their tourist dollars.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:48 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
That's a very scary story Jukesgrrl. I like to give the cops the benefit of the doubt, but stories like that I have less faith in them. Plus what happened with the guy at Costco lessens my faith in them even more.
To terrorize a family like that without letting the family give their explanation and show ID, that makes the cops out to be total jerkoff idiots IMO.
They are not all bad though, a few good one's left somewhere. It might also be the one in charge, Gillespie. Isn't his motto to shoot first and ask questions later?

Old 11-06-2010, 11:01 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am VERY upset with this city now. I just got pulled over for speeding when I was driving to work this week. They even doubled the fine so now I have to pay $600 (two weeks pay for me) for going 7mph over the speed limit. I now hate this city and would love to see its demise.
I'm just glad that you were sober.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:15 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,303 times
As soon as you view the police as some omnipotent organization that can protect you at all times, you lose your sensibility. Each police officer is a unique person with their own traits. These traits don't change once they put on a uniform. There are loads of honest, intelligent officers with a lot of integrity. There are also officers that either slipped through the hiring process or have changed over time while on the force. Bottom line, they are trained to react, not sit there and worry if they are offending you or even scaring you in some situations. This is not to condone any behavior but please don't be surprised if you do have a metro gun pointed at you at some point. I can guarantee they deal with some crazy S**t that you or I would never think of doing for a living. As far as tickets and the such, revenue will always be on their agenda. The police are driven by political agendas just as much as any other county or state organization.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:17 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If you're driving with out-of-state plates, be happy if you get off with a speeding ticket. A dear friend of mine from California, along with her middle-aged husband and mentally challenged teenaged daughter, had a terrible experience when visiting LV last year.

After an afternoon of doing touristy things on the strip, they were headed back to their pet-friendly motel to take their elderly dog outside for a break. My friend was driving the family sedan, her husband was in the front seat beside her, and their daughter was in the back seat. It was broad daylight, they were all wearing seatbelts, and were within the speed limit. Their car was suddenly pulled over by a LV police car. To their utter shock, their car was approached by police with guns drawn. In a few minutes those officers were joined by plainclothes officers from an unmarked car who also had guns drawn. The three were removed from the car one-by-one, were separated and made to kneel on the ground with their hands behind their heads, not allowed to look at each other. Their daughter became hysterical and the cops were yelling and swearing at her. My friend tried to explain to them that she has cognition problems and was frightened, but they just swore at her and screamed nonstop that she should ****.

My friend's husband offered to show photo IDs, both a legal driver's license and a photo ID from a prominent corporation where he is an executive. They didn't want to see it. My friend tried to explain to the officer holding a gun on her that she is an employee of a California government agency and she offered to show that ID. They were held for approximately 20 minutes, with cops continually screaming at them in a frightening manner, but refusing to explain what they had done. The officers conferred for quite awhile on the police radio. Suddenly, just a quickly as it began, they were told to return to their car and leave the area. No explanation. No apology.

My friend was so frightened she could hardly drive (her husband has an eye problem and couldn't), but she went straight to the nearest police department they were able to find via their GPS device. At the station, the duty officer told them to "shake it off," it was none of their business why they were pulled over, and they should move along and stop asking questions.

Needless to say, they collected their dog and their wits, and went home. They have a neighbor who is retired sheriff; they consulted him and he was able to find out that they were stopped because of a "mistake." Apparently, their license number was close to that of someone wanted by police, but not exactly the same, and their car didn't match the sought car. For some reason, that was enough for them to be treated that way. Twenty minutes for an officer to realize he had read a plate number wrong?

My friends used to spend the weekend in LV several times a year. They haven't been back since the incident. They go to Palm Springs now. So much for their tourist dollars.
This is BS on the part of the dept. Are you going to tell me they didn't know the description of the person they were looking for? Were guns drawn not enough to scare these people enough so that the cops could detain them long enough to figure it out? And while they may not want to explain what they were looking for, a simple apology would have been nice. But, goodness no, because they don't make mistakes? Or are above admitting they do? I think some cops do change when they put a uniform on and think they are gods. I realize they have a tough, scary job and meet many situations that are dangerous. But they had the guns, they had the manpower. They were in charge. And that wasn't enough? BS.

My father was a cop and finally left the force because the new hires were not trained like they were when he was hired. They were being brought in as favors for the mayor, the chief...he did not relish the fact of going through an empty building at night, in Detroit, with an untrained kid as his back up. It can really tarnish a good cops initial desire to serve and protect. So then we are left with the rest. Sad.

I would not be back either if this happened to me.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:52 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Or in this case: Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SivUT1x7j18
Thanks for the flashback!!!

Old 11-07-2010, 09:16 PM

369 posts, read 772,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
There's been a lot of cops on the beltway lately looking for speeders. Between Centennial Hills and east to the I-15 junction.
If you just drive the limit, you should be fine.
Probably gearing up for the mass influx during Snowbird Season. Distracted drivers with mass vehicles and slowed reflexes means trouble. If everyone slows down the damage is less. Just watch out for the rolling aircraft carriers with pine trees on the plate and you'll be safe.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:08 AM
atr

26 posts, read 109,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If the city is indeed looking upon moving violations to bring in additional revenue and protect the jobs of police/patrol officers, then why not target these loud, thumping boom cars on the streets/highways?

In some areas of the country the fines for these noise terrorists are now as high as $3000 (In Oregon, $1500 for the first offense). Wouldn't that be more lucrative for the city than
penny-ante speeding tickets?
more lucrative? let's do the math....

penny-ante multiplied by 1,000 moving violations as opposed to noise terrorists multiplied by 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas