Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,317 times

Advertisements

Anyone have some good input as to how to win at an unemployment appeal hearing? I was working the the Venetian Hotel and got let go and now they are trying to block my unemployment benefits. I can't believe these people, how do they expect you to live? What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 12:38 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
Hi Cathy,
why where you laid off?

Jonathan

Old 11-06-2010, 12:45 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
depending on WHY you were let go you may have a chance....but it is NOT the companies concern how you live.

I say this because I heard the same complaint from a person recently fired for using a guests credit card to make purchaces.... and she thought that because she had just bought a new car and was behind in her rent that they shouldnot have fired her.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:53 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
depending on WHY you were let go you may have a chance....but it is NOT the companies concern how you live.

I say this because I heard the same complaint from a person recently fired for using a guests credit card to make purchaces.... and she thought that because she had just bought a new car and was behind in her rent that they shouldnot have fired her.
Hah, she's lucky she's not in jail. People are seriously living in their own little bubble.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:55 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
and the buble is a phart bubble.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:35 PM

122 posts, read 239,107 times
Appeals are work...Good luck to you, though.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:37 PM

I was let go because my supervisor wrote me up for sleeping on the job which was not the case at all! The day I was suspended I came to work _ by the way I worked in the poker room as a list attendent-
about 1 1/2 hrs. after my shift started I began to have these terrible shooting pains all up and down my back, then my right arm went totally numb. I have to stand on my feet at my job and I could not stand up straight nor use the computer. One of the floor supervisors noticed something was wrong and came up front to help me. I told my boss that I needed to sit down, that I felt like I was going to pass out and that my arm was numb. He asked me to wait until the other person that works the board with me came on shift (12N).I tried but could not function at all. All the dealers and chip runners and players knew something was very wrong with me, but ,manager lied to HR and at my peer review and said that i told him I needed to take a 10 min. break. It all boils down to that my manager did not like being questioned as to why he did not call the medics for me (in house) or send me home. The HR reps sided with my boss and they would not even take my doctors note, giving me some phony excuss that it was no good because it wasn't from a pre existing condition. It was all crap - I was just targeted and I don't know why because I was an excellent worker and always went over and above the call of duty. I worked there for over 1 1/2 years and never had any problems. The only thing that i can say I am glad about is that business has dropped a whole bunch since I left, because I had made alot of friends there and they did not like what happened to me at all.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:50 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
You really need to talk to an attorney. They can't fire you due to a medical condition sustained on the job and it sounds like they did just that. If the case is exactly as you laid out, you may be able to find an attorney that will represent you without any payment.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:49 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,721,022 times
If you where termed for sleeping on he job, HR and Riskmanagement has already had the surveillance dept verify it and document it.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 AM

No surveilance was involved. When my boss finally let me sit down I was in the dealers lounge with no cameras. I actually passed out from the pain. I tried to get up 2 different times to go tell someone to call the medics but felt so faint I had to sit back down. My boss never came to check on me until 45 mins. later. HR told me that I could not use any of my witnesses at my appeal hearing because they weren't in the back room with me and that it didn't matter what anyone saw or heard that led up to the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: