Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 60,649 times

Advertisements

Unemployment Appeals Hearing for Las Vegas, Nevada

Hello,

Recently I was laid off from an employer I worked for for 4 years. The company offered me 4 weeks worth of severance pay which starting coming about 1 month after my last day of unemployment with them.

A few days after getting laid off I filed for unemployment and received a 'claim accepted' message. When I went to file on Sunday over the telephone the message stated, 'accepted'. A few days later I received a letter saying they needed me to contact them because they needed more information.

After talking with a few others who were collecting already I learned I was not eligible for claims until my severance was finished. I decided to wait until my severance pay was complete (1 month) to contact them again. When I did contact and speak to somebody she told me I was not approved for benefits because I did not contact them by a certain date.

She suggested that I file an appeal and fax it to them. She also said that the appeal might not even be looked at because I was past the deadline. I do not understand this....I mean they send me a debit card because they know I was laid off. They also know that I haven't collected anything from them, how can they just say sorry, there's nothing we can do?

Is there any advice you can give me or any past examples from your time there on this topic? I'm writing my appeal right now am going to rush and fax it to them. I've read the other related posts in this forum that you've commented on BUZZ123 so I'm hoping you can at least give me your opinion.

I was let go from my employer who I gave my everything to. I was not trying to scam the State of Nevada in anyway shape or form. In the past I've been eligible to receive benefits but never filed for benefits because I was able to go back to work. Now I really, really need that small income while moving to my next employer and I'm getting turned down.

I've heard so many people brag about how they can just lie and tell the State of Nevada that they are looking for a job and still receive benefits because the DETR does not do a good job of actually making sure people who are receiving unemployment are out looking for work.

For example there's a guy on my street who collected for 6 months and never left the house. His benefits ended and 1 1/2 months later the Nevada unemployment extended benefits for everyone. He was able to call them back up and start up his weekly payments again. This person is not planning on looking for a job, he just presses '5' or something like that to say he is.

Is there anyone else in Las Vegas that's in my situation that can offer some feedback in regards to filing an unemployment claims appeal for Las Vegas, NV?

As you can imagine, this really hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:54 AM

Default UPDATE: Filing for a Nevada Unemployment claim appeal

After writing the above, I faxed the information to the Nevada DETR.

The next morning a very polite and very professional sounding woman from the Nevada DETR called me up wanting to ask me a few questions.

Basically she said I needed to provide a little more information regarding my claim. She also said that I have 24 hours to call the main DETR number and provide that information.

I'm on hold right now......

For those of you in the future looking for information about the State of Nevada's DETR for unemployment claim appeals.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 18,719 times
Default Unemployment appeals hearing for las vegas nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemdomis View Post
unemployment appeals hearing for las vegas, nevada

hello,

recently i was laid off from an employer i worked for for 4 years. The company offered me 4 weeks worth of severance pay which starting coming about 1 month after my last day of unemployment with them.

A few days after getting laid off i filed for unemployment and received a 'claim accepted' message. When i went to file on sunday over the telephone the message stated, 'accepted'. A few days later i received a letter saying they needed me to contact them because they needed more information.

After talking with a few others who were collecting already i learned i was not eligible for claims until my severance was finished. I decided to wait until my severance pay was complete (1 month) to contact them again. When i did contact and speak to somebody she told me i was not approved for benefits because i did not contact them by a certain date.

She suggested that i file an appeal and fax it to them. She also said that the appeal might not even be looked at because i was past the deadline. I do not understand this....i mean they send me a debit card because they know i was laid off. They also know that i haven't collected anything from them, how can they just say sorry, there's nothing we can do?

Is there any advice you can give me or any past examples from your time there on this topic? I'm writing my appeal right now am going to rush and fax it to them. I've read the other related posts in this forum that you've commented on buzz123 so i'm hoping you can at least give me your opinion.

I was let go from my employer who i gave my everything to. I was not trying to scam the state of nevada in anyway shape or form. In the past i've been eligible to receive benefits but never filed for benefits because i was able to go back to work. Now i really, really need that small income while moving to my next employer and i'm getting turned down.

I've heard so many people brag about how they can just lie and tell the state of nevada that they are looking for a job and still receive benefits because the detr does not do a good job of actually making sure people who are receiving unemployment are out looking for work.

For example there's a guy on my street who collected for 6 months and never left the house. His benefits ended and 1 1/2 months later the nevada unemployment extended benefits for everyone. He was able to call them back up and start up his weekly payments again. This person is not planning on looking for a job, he just presses '5' or something like that to say he is.

Is there anyone else in las vegas that's in my situation that can offer some feedback in regards to filing an unemployment claims appeal for las vegas, nv?

As you can imagine, this really hurts.
i am still waiting to hear fron the unemployment office after 1.5 months of filing the appeal.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:54 PM

Claim accepted! I guess I just needed to call immediately when I left my last employer.

*It's good to know that 'the gov' takes care of business.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:17 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
It's still amazing to me after all these years of watching people shoot themselves in the foot because they just drop the ball and don't want to follow instructions that when they screw up their claims they blame the State.

People, when you file an unemployment claim pay attention. Don't just make the original phone call and then leave it up to someone else to take care of you. You are responsible for your own claim. Learn the rules. And for God's sake if you don't hear back right away call, write, fax, or email, but don't just sit and wait. When you file by phone or internet and it tells you your claim was accepted, that only means they got your information. It doesn't mean you have been approved. That will come separately. You will get some instructions, and maybe even your first check if there are no issues, within ten days. If there are issues, such as vac/sev pay, it may take a little longer, but not much. So if you haven't heard within two weeks get on the phone...BUT KEEP FILING WEEKLY.

You should start filing weekly continued claims from the end of the first week, and continue filing until you either get paid or find out in writing that all hope is lost of ever getting paid. The week ends at midnight on Saturday of the week you're claiming, so at 12:01 am Sunday morning you can file for the previous week, but don't do like the lady who stayed up every Saturday night to file at 12:01 am. Anytime during the week from 12:01 am Sunday until COB the next Friday is OK. I'd probably file Sunday evening in hopes the lines wouldn't be so busy, and knowing that a check could not be mailed until sometime Monday anyway.

If you put in your original claim and didn't get instructions back on filing weekly continued claims within a few days then something didn't go right with the way you filed it, and you need to handle it RIGHT AWAY. YOU SCREWED UP. YOU HAVE TO GET IT FIXED. When you file your weekly claims you should get either a check, or a thing that looks like a check if your benefits are on hold, within a few days. If you don't let them know and they will ask you to wait a week to ten days in case it was lost in the mail...which happens a lot by the post office.

If you get vacation and or severance pay when your job is terminated it is still best to file a UI claim right away and keep filing weekly even though you won't get your benefit checks right away. IF YOU STOP FILING WEEKLY YOUR CLAIM AUTOMATICALLY STOPS. DO NOT STOP FILING. If you do, whatever you had coming won't be coming anymore. But all is not lost. All you have to do is reopen your claim. And, PLEASE, DO NOT try to estimate the vac/sev pay yourself. If you do you will only mess yourself up. Let UI do it. They know the rules...you don't, and you probably never will understand it no matter if you're a lawyer.

Of course you will report the termination pay so that an adjudicator can figure out when it will expire, and at that time you'll get your benefits. Sometimes there will be a partial unemployment payment for the final week of termination pay. Don't cheat yourself out of it by trying to figure it all out for yourself. Just understand that you will never understand...I promise you I am right on that.

This is just a tiny bit of things that can happen or go wrong, but I guarantee if anything goes wrong....YOU MADE IT GO WRONG. UI workers can make mistakes but usually they don't. On the other hand, people filing claims make hundreds of mistakes every day.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 41,579 times
has anyone thats been on unemplyoment had to call after their year was up saying..call the claims rep b/c theirs potential eligibilty issues??? has anyone had that pop up when trying to file your claim on the internet? has anyone recieved unemploment benifits after their year was up?

Old 08-09-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupj View Post
has anyone thats been on unemplyoment had to call after their year was up saying..call the claims rep b/c theirs potential eligibilty issues??? has anyone had that pop up when trying to file your claim on the internet? has anyone recieved unemploment benifits after their year was up?
I'd need you to explain that a little better, but I'll make a guess. Did you file an initial claim over a year ago that expired? Did you try to file a new claim recently in a new benefit year? If so, did you return to work during that past year? They may be saying that they will need check stubs to show your earnings since the last claim was filed in order to determine your eligibility. Or, they may be saying that you could be eligible for extended benefits on the original claim. Don't drop the ball. Contact them ASAP.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 41,579 times
what happened was i filed for my ter 2 and they gave me a week then when i tryed to file this week it told me potential eligibilty issues. i also read that everyone has to refile after a year? does that sound right? my first check was sept 2,08 and it seems like that stop it aug 2 09 that was my last check

Old 08-09-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupj View Post
what happened was i filed for my ter 2 and they gave me a week then when i tryed to file this week it told me potential eligibilty issues. i also read that everyone has to refile after a year? does that sound right? my first check was sept 2,08 and it seems like that stop it aug 2 09 that was my last check
This is info for everyone filing UI claims in Nevada, so I hope it isn't considered chat.
An initial claim expires one year from the Sunday of the week it was originally opened whether you collect all 26 weeks of benefits or not. If you then file a new claim one year later, you may have to show proof of earnings during that previous benefit year in order to prove eligibility, depending on what ESD shows on their wages screen in their computers. It's also possible an employer didn't report some of your wages, and you'd be surprised at how often employers report your wages under the wrong SSA#, or fail to report them at all. They are forever transposing SS numbers. Very rarely, but it happens, Carson City might transpose a number too. If that is the case they'll be able to find it when you provide the check stubs. I used to be a master at finding the errors in SSA numbers. Also, look at all your check stubs and make sure they have the correct SSA number on them. (I hope for your sake you kept them...everyone should keep those for at least two years.) If they have the wrong number then that is probably the number they were filed under. In that case you'll need to fax over a copy of your SS card. But don't do it until asked. You can fax it for free from Nevada's JobConnect if you don't have a fax machine. Just don't do what at least one person per day does and leave it in the fax machine for the next guy to steal. Chances are twelve illegal aliens are using your number anyway, three or four from the same family, and you're getting credit at Soc. Sec. for their earnings. Oh well, maybe you'll get more when you retire...if Soc. Sec. isn't broke by then.
Disclaimer: I haven't been around UI or JobConnect for a while so if anything has changed it ain't my fault and no blame will be excepted.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:15 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
Yes, you have to revile after the intial year is up. If you have not worked since the last time you filed, you will only need to provide the same info from your intial claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: