Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:14 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKJJ View Post
exactly, i think michael moore's bowlin for columbine says it all...
why is it that the mass of the countries on this planet dont have these problems?
i think the answer is pretty obvious
The mass of other countries don't have these problems?

I don't know that that's true. Look at the African nations (especially Uganda, etc. where even children are forced to carry guns). Look at South America and Mexico. There were mass killings in kindergartens in China not too long ago. And I believe the gun crime in southeast Asia can get pretty bad.

There are a great, great number of countries with far worse gun crime than the US.

As far as Michael Moore is concerned....yeah, I wouldn't trust the word of a radical political extremist, no matter what their ideology. People on the far extremes tend to be a bit...disconnected from reality.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
He would have been fine if he had been shopping in North Las Vegas at the bodega...don't go to yuppie Costco with a gun, those people who shop at Costco are the same ones who shop at Whole Foods, no NRA bumper stickers in those parking lots! And I think he was looking for a confrontation...I know other people who carry guns everywhere, no one knows, because they don't have them noticable. He was an accident waiting to happen.

Vegas officers have a tough job. I don't fault them for keeping themselves safe. I remember the incident with the ice cream truck driver, who went crazy...spoke some foriegn language...not sure the results of that incident, but I agreed with the cops in that too.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:39 AM

111 posts, read 253,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
The mass of other countries don't have these problems?

I don't know that that's true. Look at the African nations (especially Uganda, etc. where even children are forced to carry guns). Look at South America and Mexico. There were mass killings in kindergartens in China not too long ago. And I believe the gun crime in southeast Asia can get pretty bad.

There are a great, great number of countries with far worse gun crime than the US.

As far as Michael Moore is concerned....yeah, I wouldn't trust the word of a radical political extremist, no matter what their ideology. People on the far extremes tend to be a bit...disconnected from reality.
no not in the extend as the US they dont, im not talkin bout 3rd world countries,
or countries with extreme poverty, which obviously results in extreme violence for survival.
if u look at 1st world countries, then yes, the US is lonely at the top of a very discutable rankin.
u have guns everywhere, and gun violence as a result of that.
but i can honoustly say that the average American is more ''trigger happy'' than any other 1st world country citizen.
merely for the fact that weapons are very easy to get your hands on.
why do ppl go nuts in the US and start shootin ppl?
not becuz theres more nutters in the US than anywhere else.
no, its becuz they have access to guns way to easy,
as for if they were in another country maybe,
these ppl wudve just had another way to freak out

Old 11-27-2010, 11:47 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasto View Post
"Weilded a cane towards the officer" really?! I'm usually pro police but this is getting a little scary here in the "wild west".
Cant be as bad as Orlando Police officers. They push pregnant women down stairs and give 80+ year old men pile drivers. Undoubtedly more brutal than Metro

Old 11-27-2010, 02:52 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,281 times
Quote:
no not in the extend as the US they dont, im not talkin bout 3rd world countries,
or countries with extreme poverty, which obviously results in extreme violence for survival.
if u look at 1st world countries, then yes, the US is lonely at the top of a very discutable rankin.
u have guns everywhere, and gun violence as a result of that.
but i can honoustly say that the average American is more ''trigger happy'' than any other 1st world country citizen.
merely for the fact that weapons are very easy to get your hands on.
why do ppl go nuts in the US and start shootin ppl?
not becuz theres more nutters in the US than anywhere else.
no, its becuz they have access to guns way to easy,
as for if they were in another country maybe,
these ppl wudve just had another way to freak out
Do a little research into Switzerland, their firearms culture, and their violent crime rate. You might also look into the fact that Washington DC's crime rate is going down after the USSC ruling on the handgun ban. You might be quite surprised although I'm sure that you haven't even done any real research into your claims and rather got all of your info from Michael Moore's (a propogandist willing to twist and distort) movie. I find it very hard to take a poster who can't back up their claims with numbers or even take the time to spell correctly seriously.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, firearms are a tool. Sometimes they are used to gather food, sometimes they are used as pest control, and sometimes they are used as defense unfortunately. I wish that they weren't needed, but I'm not willing to go against a guy with a knife or a baseball bat with bare hands or a similar instrument. I've simply got too much to lose in a knife fight and the real bottom line is that humans are violent, always have been, always will be and the availability of weapons will never end even if all firearms were gone. It's simply too easy to grab a rock or tire iron and smash someone that way.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that I read your post and agreed with what else you were saying, but took contention at your needlessly asking someone if they are a "cop hater" because they question the police on their actions? That wasn't an "aside," it was a needless attack in the form of a question, don't try dressing it up as anything other than that.
Actually it was a sincere question regarding a type of poster on another forum. There are posters on said forum that can and do attack everything the cops do, and even respond to stories that have nothing to do with Metro with comments calling Metro "gangbangers" and threatening violence against them albeit subtly. Not to mention it was a comment made to a poster that I actually have a pretty good rapport with. The question was answered by the poster, the error was acknowledged, and an apology was made. Nothing more needs to be said about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll
There is absolutely no "attack on liberty" by questioning the actions of law enforcement or our government on their actions. They should be questioned, otherwise, you'll have scandals like Rampart all over the place and innocent people on death row (the state of Illinois had to put a freeze on their death penalty, as they found 13 innocent people on their death row - due to police corruption).

Instead of trying to act as though I am skirting around your argument, you should actually put more thought into what I am saying. The mere fact that you are trying to turn this around on me, pretending as though I am ignoring the substance of your reply, because doing so means you don't have to think about what I am saying. To be quite honest, the same could be said for you - you don't seem to be reading my replies.

ETA: If you don't like how someone chooses to reply to you, then do not engage them in discussion. You do not have control over what people choose to address and what they choose not to. That doesn't mean they don't have a good point. Nor does it mean they are "illogical" or making "leaps" or whatever you want to call it.
It's ironic that you claim that I am not reading your posts. I very clearly said that it is absolutely in defense of liberty to question law enforcement and all of those in positions of authority. Yet you post some attack on liberty quote? Not once did I say that and I actually agreed with you that oversight is healthy and necessary. However, the rampart scandal still has nothing to do with this case. You still haven't addressed the fact that Scott was committing a Category C Felony when he was shot. Who doesn't want to think about the substance? You're trying to make this discussion personal, picking and choosing snippets of my post to refer to so you can try and win an argument but the fact of the matter is that not once did I say that the cops were justified or the eyewitnesses were lying, not once did I say that cops are always right, and not once did I defend the actions of these officers or others. I simply pointed out that Scott was, in fact, breaking the law at the time of his death. If you can't respond to that directly then your point has nothing to do with this discussion. Is that so hard to understand? I await your analysis on the facts I presented and await for you to reply with any and all facts that pertain to this or other local OIS cases. I won't be holding my breath.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:26 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Do a little research into Switzerland, their firearms culture, and their violent crime rate. You might also look into the fact that Washington DC's crime rate is going down after the USSC ruling on the handgun ban. You might be quite surprised although I'm sure that you haven't even done any real research into your claims and rather got all of your info from Michael Moore's (a propogandist willing to twist and distort) movie. I find it very hard to take a poster who can't back up their claims with numbers or even take the time to spell correctly seriously.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, firearms are a tool. Sometimes they are used to gather food, sometimes they are used as pest control, and sometimes they are used as defense unfortunately. I wish that they weren't needed, but I'm not willing to go against a guy with a knife or a baseball bat with bare hands or a similar instrument. I've simply got too much to lose in a knife fight and the real bottom line is that humans are violent, always have been, always will be and the availability of weapons will never end even if all firearms were gone. It's simply too easy to grab a rock or tire iron and smash someone that way.
Anything any human touches, can be used as a weapon

Old 11-27-2010, 04:31 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
mod interpose: This thread will be closed tomorrow so get your comments in now. Reason: it really has nothing really to do with relocating to Las Vegas. Most cities have controversies with their respective police departments regarding this particular topic. I've seen quite a few discussions about this in different jurisdictions around the country. There's a big controversy going on in Seattle about the same subject because of several prominent incidences that happened recently. I've also read of problems in the Bay Area, in Philadelphia, Dallas, Miami, some New York jurisdictions. These are fairly recent. All large metro areas are, have, or will have such controversies, not just Las Vegas. This thread is drifting towards gun control issues and general topics not having to do specifically with Las Vegas.

Again, our local forums should be focused on relocation issues, visitor information, and topics which may be of interest to those seeking information about the local area. General politics or controversies that pertain not only to Las Vegas but also to other areas around the country should be discussed in our P&OC forum. Thanks.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:43 PM

111 posts, read 253,320 times
You're right, this thread was going totaly off topic,
but I can't stand people who just won't see the truth.
Enough said about it, I believe this an old discussion in the US that will propably go on for years and years to come.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
hahahaha you're a joke mate ,honoustly.
have you done your research? switzerland crime rates? pfffff
here's your crime rates for you, mind you, all countries above the US are poor countries where they kill to survive and there's a ''kill or get killed'' mentality. it's all countries where crime and corruption is a way of life.Murders (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster
and that's just the first thing I clicked on google.

just face it that the problem is your gun policy. why are all sophisticated countries waaaay beneath the US?? like there isn't any crime there or what? dont make me laugh mate, I don't know which political party is pro guns, but you are obviously a member of that party, no doubt.

and I only used Michael Moore's movie as an example, I'm not sayin all of it is true. But there is alot of thruth in there. Americans are a paranoid bunch of people.

Ow and another thing, is the spelling correct enough for you now?
Apparently you did not understand what I was getting at. Switzerland issues every one of it's adult male citizens automatic weapons. They are also required to be a part of the national militia. There are currently an estimated 1.5 million to 3 million firearms in circulation in Switzerland. With a population of around 7.5 million or so that puts firearm ownership rates between 20% and 40% of the total population is in possession of a firearm.

Compare that to the US, which has about 90 million legally owned firearms currently in circulation. With a total population of around 311 million, that puts ownership rates at around 29%. Pretty similar numbers to Switzerland, no? So why the discrepancy between violent crime rates? I honestly can't answer that question other than to say that it's not as simple as pigeonholing the problem into the scope of gun ownership.

This is not a political issue for me, other than our United States Constitution that affirms my right to keep and bear arms. I am not a member of any political party, but it was predictable that you would bring politics into this as your argument has nothing to stand on, particularly considering that as firearm ownership rates in this country have risen violent crime rates have declined.

See? A rebuttal based in fact and presented with proper punctuation, spelling and grammar rather than personal attacks and name calling. BTW, your spelling is still atrocious. Enjoy your state of bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas