Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,258 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I currently live outside of Huntington Beach, California in a two bedroom townhouse style apartment with my wife and two sons (oldest is 3, youngest in just over 1 month). My wife and I are considering moving to the Las Vegas area and am trying to find out some information before we make up our minds.

We are thinking it could be a good idea because houses are cheaper than here in LA, we've heard taxes aren't as bad, I have some family out there, there's always something to do, and we just like the area. We haven't been too far off the strip lately, but my grandparents used to live there when I was a kid so I was usually there for about a week or so during the summer.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give an honest and serious opinion about moving/living in Las Vegas compared to other areas in the country. Some things I've read/heard make it seem like a great place to live and raise a family. Other places make it seem like you should run far away. Are there any good websites or anything to check out that would give us an honest and objective view?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 03:47 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
Do you have employment lined up? You have 2 kids don't move without a job

Old 10-20-2009, 07:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue2009 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I currently live outside of Huntington Beach, California in a two bedroom townhouse style apartment with my wife and two sons (oldest is 3, youngest in just over 1 month). My wife and I are considering moving to the Las Vegas area and am trying to find out some information before we make up our minds.

We are thinking it could be a good idea because houses are cheaper than here in LA, we've heard taxes aren't as bad, I have some family out there, there's always something to do, and we just like the area. We haven't been too far off the strip lately, but my grandparents used to live there when I was a kid so I was usually there for about a week or so during the summer.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give an honest and serious opinion about moving/living in Las Vegas compared to other areas in the country. Some things I've read/heard make it seem like a great place to live and raise a family. Other places make it seem like you should run far away. Are there any good websites or anything to check out that would give us an honest and objective view?

Thanks!
Got jobs..come.

No jobs..don't come.

Simple as that. The Vegas area is very difficult at the moment and you should not come here without employment with small children. It is to easy to end up on the street.

In a year....maybe different story. In two...very likely much better.

Now...the pits.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:46 AM

450 posts, read 1,514,861 times
Default Re:

Agree with olecapt and airics, find a job first.

As far as raising children here, I know Vegas has the "Sin City" reputation, and apparently the school system is one of the worst in the country, HOWEVER, I don't see a problem raising a family here than any other city honestly. My friends are school teachers (in other cities) and are blamed constantly for not making sure kids do their homework...sorry but I thought that was a parent job? I believe if parents have a handle on their kid's discipline and respect for others, you won't have a problem raising your children here.

I guess my argument here is why are the school's so "bad" here? Because parents don't have time for their kids? I don't get it.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:00 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
I believe if parents have a handle on their kid's discipline and respect for others, you won't have a problem raising your children here.
That works as long as every other kid's parents are similarly like-minded. But out here you'd be outnumbered by your typical uneducated Las Vegas trash. That makes a parent's job much harder.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,344 times
I agree w/the other posts if you don't have jobs here don't move yet. Unemployment is high right now. Housing prices are really low prices, but getting financing is a pain and closing on a home could take months if you buy a preforeclosure - short sale. You should most likely rent first and drive the areas first, day, night, weekends, etc. Just like you would do in any other city

Old 10-22-2009, 11:12 AM

549 posts, read 1,380,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue2009 View Post

Thanks!
I'm going to get blasted by the rest of the crowd on this one because they know where I stand, but I agree with their logic on why NOT to come to Vegas; and I agree, DO NOT CONSIDER RELOCATING TO VEGAS especially without a job, and that may not last long either.

No, it is not a good place to raise children. And, the schools in NV are rated 49th in the nation. Although there are good individual schools in CCSD overall their AYP (NCLB) initiatives are lacking. And, I agree with another poster that some parents are NOT into educating/raising their children.

If you're looking for a better place for kids you'll need to head further north or east. City-Data has lots of info on other locations. Also, subscrib to local news online or television stations and watch them for a while so you can get a feeling for the culture, etc. I have 2 places in mind to move as soon as the economy picks up and get outta here, much to the delight of some in this forum.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:26 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
I'm going to get blasted by the rest of the crowd on this one because they know where I stand, but I agree with their logic on why NOT to come to Vegas; and I agree, DO NOT CONSIDER RELOCATING TO VEGAS especially without a job, and that may not last long either.

No, it is not a good place to raise children. And, the schools in NV are rated 49th in the nation. Although there are good individual schools in CCSD overall their AYP (NCLB) initiatives are lacking. And, I agree with another poster that some parents are NOT into educating/raising their children.

If you're looking for a better place for kids you'll need to head further north or east. City-Data has lots of info on other locations. Also, subscrib to local news online or television stations and watch them for a while so you can get a feeling for the culture, etc. I have 2 places in mind to move as soon as the economy picks up and get outta here, much to the delight of some in this forum.
The 49th rating is a meaningless statistic. It simply shows that Nevada is very urban with 90% of the population in two school districts. If you rate those two districts versus other large districts they do reasonably well. Better than NYC or Chicago or LA for instance. And much like all large school districts the "bad" ratings are driven by the bottom schools...which are pretty awful. So don't send your kid to a bottom school.

If you stick to the top 50 or 75 elementary schools your kids will do fine. Those schools interchange reasonably well with the upper end schools in any of the nicer cities of the US.

And you don't have to spend a lot of money for a fine school. J. Marlan Walker, Edith Garehime,James H. Bilbray, William & Mary Scherkenbach for instance are all top schools in reasonably affordable neighborhoods. Walker is a magnet.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:07 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,975 times
Considering this post was made back in August, either the OP is here already or moved somewhere else. I'm sure they don't care any longer.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:17 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Considering this post was made back in August, either the OP is here already or moved somewhere else. I'm sure they don't care any longer.
LOL... good catch MomMom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: