Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 03:00 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,144,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNewbie View Post
OK, sounds like I was misinformed. I will keep my eyes peeled for them. Anything else I should know unique to the Las Vegas area? That's one I had not known about....so maybe there are more? Thanks for the help from all of you.
don't sweat the scorps.....they don't eat much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 03:25 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,524,319 times
Just know that if you fall in love with one...they are fiercely loyal.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:57 PM

but carry a mean sting

Old 01-07-2011, 07:14 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,248,225 times
Quote:
Scorpions are also known to infest drinking establishments...in an attempt to use their "stinger".
Score-pions?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 PM

449 posts, read 517,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Score-pions?
Very Nice!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:02 AM

42 posts, read 79,619 times
I have issues with scorpions in my house. West area of town. I've lived in the house for ten years and have never had the misfortune of being stung. A friend of mine a few blocks away has been stung at least once a year since living in her house. The worst thing that has happened to her is her foot has turned black and blue, swollen and she had to take pain meds and Benadryl. She's still alive. My husband has had the closest encounters; one on the ceiling (yes the ceiling!) above where he was sitting, one crawling on his bare leg (he knocked it off quickly) and one that fell out of a tree onto his bare stomache as he was laying out by a pool (again he was lucky and just knocked if off). You learn to take precautions. Shake out shoes, check the covers each night, don't let sheets on the bed touch the ground, wear socks around the house, always wear gloves when working in the yard, check before you sit or lay down on everything. Although I do have to admit, we usually go barefoot in the house until we spot a scorpion. Then we wear socks for a few days until we relax about it and go barefoot again. There are no liquid chemicals that I'm aware of that will kill them due to their exoskeleton. So I'd be very wary about believing an exterminator that says all you need to do is spray to exterminate them. I use diatomaceous earth (bought at a plant nursery) around the entire perimeter of the house; not indoors. When we do find one in the house, we use a dust buster to vacuum it up (clear canister so you can see it once sucked up) then flush it down the toilet. We've also used stun guns to kill them. We see one in the house about every month. When our neighbor was having a pool installed, we got up one morning to find about FIVE on our kitchen floor. That was the worst. You could go outside in your yard at night with a black light and kill them off, but I doubt one could ever completely wipe them out. I've read articles about them. Interesting creatures.... but I could live without them! Another friend of mine lives in the next subdivision over and has never seen a scorpion in their house, but says that they have issues with black widow spiders. About two decades ago when I lived in an apartment, we had left the front door open to let some fresh air in. A baby rattle snake decided to visit. About a month ago I spotted a Gila monster in a vacant lot across from my work place. That's about the extent of my encounters with poisonous critters here. Las Vegas is located in a desert, so it is the norm you're going to have some kind of critter crawling around no matter what area you live in. I just wish they weren't poisonous.

Last edited by Artfuldodger702; 01-08-2011 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 12:57 PM

500 posts, read 749,258 times
It can very much depend on where you live. I lived in Henderson for 14 years and never encountered one. It wasn't even a worry. I did hear of one in Anthem but that was in a house after new construction.

Now that I'm here in South Texas, though, different story. We've had plenty - hate them! They move fast and you never know where they will pop up. There are chemicals you can buy online that are supposed to work, Deamon (sp?), is one. Also, if you want to try something natural they hate lavender, so you can use lavender oil in your house along the baseboards, etc.

So JFK, I have to know, why do want them to bark? Die is more like it!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:36 PM

236 posts, read 628,337 times
When I moved out here, I moved around the same time as a good friend. He moved into a single family home located in the STHN HLD's area. House only about a year or two old and he discovered about 5-6 living scorpions in the kitchen and great room area (all tiled). When he bought the house it had been sitting vacant for a good few months, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Before he moved in, he called an exterminator and hasn't seen one since.

Me on the other hand, I moved into a high rise condo and have never EVER seen one, dead or alive, not even in the valet

Old 01-10-2011, 01:43 PM

cause they cant reach high enough to push the elevator button

Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 PM

236 posts, read 628,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
cause they cant reach high enough to push the elevator button

Ha! This and they can't afford the HOA fees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas