Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 PM

10 posts, read 32,195 times

Advertisements

I've read through quite a few threads here and though there is good advice in all of them, none of them really fit my particular situation.

My fiance and I and our 20 month old son currently live in a suburb of Cleveland, OH. We have been talking about relocating for a while now, and in doing initial research, decided that Las Vegas has most of what we are looking for. So I'm digging a little deeper, which is how I found this site. I'm not looking to purchase a home right now, and it looks like rents are comparable to what I'm paying now (We currently live in a 2 bedroom apt. about 900 sq ft for $550 monthly). I've researched the cost of living and all of that, and it's actually a little cheaper to live in Las Vegas than it is in Cleveland. I am on a fixed monthly income (SSDI because of a back injury) and can afford up to $600 in rent. Any other kind of services I would need, I can research online. We wouldn't be moving until later this fall, when our current lease is up.

I've read about the unemployment rate, which isn't much different from here... and neither is the foreclosure rate. As long as we can supplement our monthly income even in the slightest, it would be ok.

My main concern is what areas are family friendly. I have a relative that recently moved to Las Vegas, and he tells me that he loves it out there. I don't know exactly what area he lives in, but what he did tell me is he's not very far from The Strip. Most of the apartments I've been looking at are in zip codes like 89101, 89119, 89121. I've visited Las Vegas, but that was before I had a son. I just want to know what areas are completely horrible and what areas are ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,424 times
Nothing that cheap in that area. Even 1 bedroom apts are more than that. Check classifieds and apt finder I guess. You're not going to be able to be choosey with that kind of money.

It would be easier if you just found a place and ask what we think of it :-)

Old 01-18-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Nothing that cheap in that area. Even 1 bedroom apts are more than that. Check classifieds and apt finder I guess. You're not going to be able to be choosey with that kind of money.

It would be easier if you just found a place and ask what we think of it :-)

Thanks. I've been looking at rentals.com and apartmentlinks.com and I've come across some apartment complexes that have 2 bedroom apartments between 515-650. We can actually expand our budget to $650, we plan to have a little financial cushion when I get there so we can get settled.

Here are my top choices:

1. Toscana Village 4775 South Topaz Street Las Vegas, NV 89121- 2 bdrm/1 bath $513-$560

2. Emerald Bay 4701 East Sahara Las Vegas, NV 89104- 2 bdrm/1 bath from $550

3. Park Place 1 Apts 3850 South Mountain Vista Street Las Vegas, NV 89121- 2 bdrm/2 bath $650

4. Pacific Harbors at Sunrise 5150 East Sahara Las Vegas, NV 89142- 2 bdrm/2 bath $650

5. Tara Hills 3255 East Desert Inn Road Las Vegas, NV 89121- 2 bdrm/1 bath from $560

6. Stonegate 5075 Spyglass Hill Drive Las Vegas, NV 89142- 2 bdrm/2 bath $590

Tell me what you guys think!

Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Ghetto. 2br in a good area 800+. I would further your research. I'm also from Cleveland. Places to live are a lot more here

Old 01-18-2011, 11:29 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmzbabygrl View Post
Thanks. I've been looking at rentals.com and apartmentlinks.com and I've come across some apartment complexes that have 2 bedroom apartments between 515-650. We can actually expand our budget to $650, we plan to have a little financial cushion when I get there so we can get settled.

Tell me what you guys think!

I can't give too much information other than the area. If I never lived in them but I'll put some links down so you can read reviews from people who have lived in them.

Obviously you know that your paying pretty much bottom dollar so with that being said you should expect to live in a humble place. Some of these were once nice apartments though. Just inspect the place before moving in and make sure you get a unit that is relatively good shape.

1. Toscana Village 4775 South Topaz Street Las Vegas, NV 89121- 2 bdrm/1 bath $513-$560

I kind of like that area. Good place too start if just moving here as you are close to the strip and airport which will help you get a bearing but not too close as to be greatly affected by it. You got a park next door and Sunset park right up the road. You're not too far from the expressway and have a shopping mall near. Downside is you are right next to the Airport so you're gonna here them landing. There can be a lot of traffic at Trop and Eastern as well.

Toscana Villas Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Las Vegas apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

2. Emerald Bay 4701 East Sahara Las Vegas, NV 89104- 2 bdrm/1 bath from $550

I once actually lived right around the corner from this one. You're sorta far out with no super convenient way to get anywhere. I felt like there was not enough stuff do do over that way. Dining and things like that. Grocery store is really close though.

That place is getting really hammered on the reviews.

Emerald Bay Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Las Vegas apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

3. Park Place 1 Apts 3850 South Mountain Vista Street Las Vegas, NV 89121- 2 bdrm/2 bath $650

I'm not very knowledgeable about this area. Not a big fan of that part of town.

4. Pacific Harbors at Sunrise 5150 East Sahara Las Vegas, NV 89142- 2 bdrm/2 bath $650

Like number 2 only better.

5. Tara Hills 3255 East Desert Inn Road Las Vegas, NV 89121- 2 bdrm/1 bath from $560

Slum.

Another one of the Nellis and Sahara picks. Perhaps you like that area. I think it is not bad. Having lived there.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Ghetto. 2br in a good area 800+. I would further your research. I'm also from Cleveland. Places to live are a lot more here
I don't know if I would call what I'm looking at ghetto... I've lived in some of Cleveland's bad neighborhoods, and compared, this looks a whole lot better... but like I said, I don't know anything about Vegas, and I thank you for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post

I kind of like that area. Good place too start if just moving here as you are close to the strip and airport which will help you get a bearing but not too close as to be greatly affected by it. You got a park next door and Sunset park right up the road. You're not too far from the expressway and have a shopping mall near. Downside is you are right next to the Airport so you're gonna here them landing. There can be a lot of traffic at Trop and Eastern as well.

Toscana Villas Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Las Vegas apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Another one of the Nellis and Sahara picks. Perhaps you like that area. I think it is not bad. Having lived there.
Toscana Village is actually my top choice. Thanks for the info, and the links.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
maybe this helps.. what you are looking at is comparable to Collinwood or East Cleveland.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
maybe this helps.. what you are looking at is comparable to Collinwood or East Cleveland.

That's what I figured... lived in both of those places before. I'm still researching. We're not planning on moving until later this year so I've got loads of time to research. Just trying to get some ideas on where to look. Any suggestions?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 9,220 times
Speaking as someone who lives in the 89119 and in Vegas for nearly 20 yrs.
If you are going for a Low-Income area, then you have to take what comes with it. Drug Invested at least I know from Flamingo along Swenson/Cambridge/Paradise/Maryland Parkway.........geeze I was gonna say to Sahara....but then it picks up again after that. You have pockets of Nice complexes.
Park Arms Apts. On Sahara is just steps from the Monorail and along a bus line, gated and quiet/washer & dryer in them, about $700/ Woodhaven has a special and that's move in $99/2bedrooms $550. on the west side Valleyview & Twain area I think, near spring mountain & decatur.

Honestly though, the Wonderment of Las Vegas wears off for most after two years. If you don't have the income to support the Lifestyle of all the great things to do out here, then you are just in the middle of the desert.........

Old 01-20-2011, 11:27 PM

Thanks alot for the info. I'll take a look at those complexes and request some info.

My main reasons for picking Vegas is the cost of living is about the same as Cleveland without the snow. I expect everything that comes with cheaper rent, those things don't surprise me or scare me (I've lived in some rough neighborhoods in my 35 years). I need a big change. I thought moving to a brand new neighborhood in my city would do it for me, but it hasn't. I need a new city all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas