Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2008, 12:31 AM

11 posts, read 16,170 times

Advertisements

The banks can be very frustrating. I have been in the process of buying a foreclosed house since November, and the transaction is still not complete. The bank takes forever to get things done. Its very frustrating.

If I didn’t feel like I was getting a very good deal and didn’t really like the house I would have just walked away out of frustration. I have never in my life seen a situation where the buyer makes me jump through so many hoops just to purchase something. I am sure this dynamic is one of the reasons why foreclosed homes are sold at a discount to everything else – some people probably don’t have the patience to deal with it.

Also what doesn’t make sense to me, is that when the banks delay selling through their own burocratic inefficiencies, they lose money both on the principle value of the house declining, as well as the ongoing taxes and maintenance fees they have to pay on them. When you multiple this across thousands of foreclosures, the sums become huge.

What really makes me angry, is why the government wants to use taxpayer money to bail out the banks. The banks put themselves in this situation in the first place – and the way they are handling their foreclosed houses tells me that some of them need to go out of business in order for others in the market to learn the hard way to be more efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasagos1 View Post
The banks can be very frustrating. I have been in the process of buying a foreclosed house since November, and the transaction is still not complete. The bank takes forever to get things done. Its very frustrating.

If I didn’t feel like I was getting a very good deal and didn’t really like the house I would have just walked away out of frustration. I have never in my life seen a situation where the buyer makes me jump through so many hoops just to purchase something. I am sure this dynamic is one of the reasons why foreclosed homes are sold at a discount to everything else – some people probably don’t have the patience to deal with it.

Also what doesn’t make sense to me, is that when the banks delay selling through their own burocratic inefficiencies, they lose money both on the principle value of the house declining, as well as the ongoing taxes and maintenance fees they have to pay on them. When you multiple this across thousands of foreclosures, the sums become huge.

What really makes me angry, is why the government wants to use taxpayer money to bail out the banks. The banks put themselves in this situation in the first place – and the way they are handling their foreclosed houses tells me that some of them need to go out of business in order for others in the market to learn the hard way to be more efficient.

That is actually not the usual pattern. REPOs generally sell in 30 days or less and relatively smoothly. You do have to jump through a hoop or two or three but it is normally a quick transaction. I would suspect the bank had trouble with the title or some such.

Short sales are the difficult one. They have worse hoops to jump through and can take two and three months to get a decision of no.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:55 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Default Pretty devastating article in LV RJ regarding mortgage fraud in Vegas

ReviewJournal.com - Business - MORTGAGE FALLOUT: SKIM SCAM
//
Hawks said he examined title work on several homes and found that someone had removed an addendum that instructs the title company to issue checks to a third-party limited liability corporation. The document is removed or hidden, either way with same result, he said.

Last edited by Marka; 01-08-2008 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: shortened quotes

Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
They should make a movie and call it 'Swindler's List!'

Old 01-06-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post

Interesting but I would note that Smith had to go to San Diego for one of his examples. And the other interesting one was a civil suit and not a criminal investigation.

I look at a whole lot of these numbers and have seen only a couple that were likely not straight. These are such things as a place sold and mortgaged for $550K when the whole tract has been selling under 350K for months. One key is that they almost always are not in the MLS. Another is that they are out of line. Everything is selling at $140 per SF and suddenly a sale at $160 per SF. Sets all my alarms off and I am only lookiing for good comps.

I would think we have and will see a lot of fraud of the quit claim deed sort..."Sell your house to me I will make the payments"...

For the other stuff though you need crooked escrow, title and or appraisers. It happens but it tends to stand out and will almost certainly get a participant sent to jail.

As I said I have seen a few...but I don't see a big problem.

Have to think if there is a search criteria that might easily find these. I think not but I will take a look.

Last edited by Marka; 01-08-2008 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: cut quote

Old 01-07-2008, 06:28 PM

149 posts, read 346,930 times
Default Mortgage Fallout: Skim Scam

"The values of homes have declined dramatically from the overpriced fraudulent inflation that has run rampant in our marketplace the past few years," VanZant said in an article on DSNews.com. "Fraud has absolutely destroyed the market. Without this problem, it wouldn't be near what it is."

Old 01-07-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpercar View Post

"The values of homes have declined dramatically from the overpriced fraudulent inflation that has run rampant in our marketplace the past few years," VanZant said in an article on DSNews.com. "Fraud has absolutely destroyed the market. Without this problem, it wouldn't be near what it is."
Van Zant is an RE Agent. Why would you think him an expert on fraud? Sure there is some fraud...but destroyed the market? Only in his mind...

Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 PM

149 posts, read 346,930 times
Default Who said I considered him an expert?

Here's another quote from the article you can shadow box with:

"This is like stocks in 2000, so nobody knows what the true value of a home in Las Vegas is right now. That's why nobody's buying," Hawks said."

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Van Zant is an RE Agent. Why would you think him an expert on fraud? Sure there is some fraud...but destroyed the market? Only in his mind...

Old 01-07-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpercar View Post
Here's another quote from the article you can shadow box with:

"This is like stocks in 2000, so nobody knows what the true value of a home in Las Vegas is right now. That's why nobody's buying," Hawks said."
That is closer to reality. But it has nothing to do with fraud. More correctly nobody believes it is at the bottom yet.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Default To the Realtors

To all the current realtors out there. When was the last time you sold a home here in Henderson or Vegas? How often are you yourself getting an actual sale?

Also on average how long does it take for one to sell a home in this market? Expect a year? More? We are in Green Valley. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas