Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:52 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
.. usually on some old honda civic with an over sized muffler that sounds like my lawn mower.
If only it were as quiet as a typical lawn mower. Those "fart can" mufflers are ridiculous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 11:31 PM

654 posts, read 1,322,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
You know I don't feel sorry for people who run red lights. It's really very simple, don't go through a red light don't get a ticket.
Quote:
Do you need another drink?
At this point, I'm not sure if you're serious or being a troll. At any rate, there's no need to get personal & insult LVD about his drinking. It has no relevance to this discussion whatsoever; it's just petty.

As for the cameras, I doubt you'll find many people who feel sorry for people who run red lights. I don't.

The problem is that, all too often, these things aren't accomplishing that for which they were supposedly intended. They become a mechanism to generate revenue when municipalities become shortsighted, greedy & desperate.

Do you advocate everyone who turns right on red in front of a red light camera getting a ticket? What if they stop for a full second? Two seconds? Five? What if they become 'guilty until proven innocent'?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
At this point, I'm not sure if you're serious or being a troll. At any rate, there's no need to get personal & insult LVD about his drinking. It has no relevance to this discussion whatsoever; it's just petty.

As for the cameras, I doubt you'll find many people who feel sorry for people who run red lights. I don't.

The problem is that, all too often, these things aren't accomplishing that for which they were supposedly intended. They become a mechanism to generate revenue when municipalities become shortsighted, greedy & desperate.

Do you advocate everyone who turns right on red in front of a red light camera getting a ticket? What if they stop for a full second? Two seconds? Five? What if they become 'guilty until proven innocent'?

First off, I've been a member of this forum since 7/09 not long but not a troll. Second, him calling me a "peasant" because I pay my tickets without a fight is fine right? If you are going to dish it be prepared to take it. Oh & is there a sign that reads no turn on red light along with that traffic camera? If so you better not pull a california roll or yes you deserve a ticket.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:05 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
First off, I've been a member of this forum since 7/09 not long but not a troll. Second, him calling me a "peasant" because I pay my tickets without a fight is fine right? If you are going to dish it be prepared to take it. Oh & is there a sign that reads no turn on red light along with that traffic camera? If so you better not pull a california roll or yes you deserve a ticket.
Ok, I apologize then. I really did not mean it as an insult. The reason I said that is because you paid tickets that are unconstitutional and unfair. If you liked paying $182 three times to Arizona, so be it. I have paid every single ticket that was issued by an officer. If you want more red light enforcement, the answer is more police officers. I personally refuse to pay money to a ticket generating machine as there is no discretion.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:21 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Well I pay them because I was speeding, I did run a red light etc.. so I don't see how they are unconstitutional & unfair. I screwed up & got caught, you know? If you don't want to pay camera tickets that is your business.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:43 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,937 times
Quote:
Two wrongs do not make a right. LVD did something you didn't like so it makes it OK to attack his (admitted) drinking problem? Sounds petty to me.

As for the red light camera, obviously I'm not turning right on red if it says I can't. That was the whole premise of my post, which I'll spell out here if you didn't already understand. Why would I have tried to fight my ticket if the intersection was marked 'no turn on red'? If it's illegal to run a red light, don't do it. If a sign says 'No turn on red', don't do it.

If you stop, signal & turn, then get a ticket because of some automatic or arbitrary decision, that ain't right. Why should I stand for it when I've done nothing wrong? Municipalities are capitalizing on the 'gray area' where they judge someone didn't stop long enough & it's up to the individual to disprove the negative. Guilty until proven innocent. Certainly not the basis of our culture.

If it was a definite safety concern (like running the red light), I might be more understanding. But it's not & this is a consistent pattern (as far as I can tell) numerous places throughout the country where these are installed. They're justified under the guise of safety, then they become revenue generators. Not kosher.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:26 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
For an update, there is no photo radar tickets. However, I have noticed a disturbing trend. There are cameras on all the street lights. They are even in my neighborhood on the stop signs (I kid you not). There is some government spying program going on as I warned by someone else to look for it. There is something going on, I just do not know what.
If you're talking about downtown along Fremont St, that's a program to reduce crime in the area. It's been going on for a while, and it's working. There was a follow-up story about it that was just on the news.

If you're talking about intersection cameras, they have been there for years at all the intersections. They are traffic cams used to control the flow of traffic.

Red light cameras will probably never be used in Nevada. If not mistaken, it takes a constitutional amendment to do that and that ain't gonna happen.

We still believe in privacy here, even though there are literally thousands of surveillance cameras in this town. Too bad New Hampshire adopted the slogan, "Live Free or Die", before we could have it.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Why do you think they are great? Careful what you wish for ...

Much like Olecapt, I'd support them if they were used properly to punish the people truly running red lights. What happens in reality is quite different, tho.

They've had these in Chicago for some time. The city blew their budget (& Daley's in charge), so guess what they've become? Revenue generators ... ding ding ding, we have a winner! Everybody & their brother/sister/mother who doesn't make a complete stop for a few seconds before turning right on red is getting tickets in the mail. Anything borderline is being fined. Add that to the kangaroo court mentality of guilty 'til proven innocent & the city's raking in the dough. Of course, bad drivers remain throughout the city, so it hasn't improved much in terms of safety, but at least the city's getting their loot ...
What you say appears to be true according to reports from all over the country. It is just another government intrusion. Things like that are east coast ideas ...control everybody ...everything people do has to be stopped ...they must be punished. Give me a break. That is what everyone moves here to get away from ...but that is the kind of thinking we are all afraid will be imported to Nevada, especially in the land rushes we frequently experience.

Everyone who comes here will for the first year or two at least, use the phrase, "That's not the way we did it in (Podunk)" And, "There should be a law..." If they can't live without all their anal laws, they should go back home; not try to impose that crap on us. First thing I ask during elections is where is the candidate from? If they aren't native Nevadans I don't vote for them, because they know about as much about being a Nevadan as Obama knows about being an American.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:51 AM

It has been reported on national news (not that they don't lie) that cities have shortened the yellow lights in order to cause people to run red lights unwillingly. That way the city makes more money. It has also been reported that red light cameras have caused an increase in rear end collisions.

Where does it stop? I've been hearing lately about putting chips in people, like in dogs, so they can be tracked. One bio-tech company already does it to their employees. I'm ashamed to say that my original home town is becoming the bio-tech capital. They'll do anything in WV for jobs without ever considering the consequences ...like sheep to slaughter.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
It has been reported on national news (not that they don't lie) that cities have shortened the yellow lights in order to cause people to run red lights unwillingly. That way the city makes more money. It has also been reported that red light cameras have caused an increase in rear end collisions.
That is exactly what happened when they implicated the scameras in Phoenix. This is why it is preposterous that someone would support them in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas