Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:45 AM

30 posts, read 55,576 times

Advertisements

As a Floridian preparing to move in Vegas this summer, I've focused most of my long distance home shopping on Centennial Hills and Summerlin. But last night I think I found my dream house, it's on Bryn Mawr Ave, just southeast of the Oakey Blvd / Rancho Drive intersection.

The house was built in the 1950's, has what I think is very cool style, in ground pool, full 1/4 acre lot. It's perfect for me. Sold for $419k in 2006, today it is $130k. My problem is I won't be in Vegas house shopping until May 18th. Am I crazy to even consider this area????

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:01 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGPinPCFL View Post
As a Floridian preparing to move in Vegas this summer, I've focused most of my long distance home shopping on Centennial Hills and Summerlin. But last night I think I found my dream house, it's on Bryn Mawr Ave, just southeast of the Oakey Blvd / Rancho Drive intersection.

The house was built in the 1950's, has what I think is very cool style, in ground pool, full 1/4 acre lot. It's perfect for me. Sold for $419k in 2006, today it is $130k. My problem is I won't be in Vegas house shopping until May 18th. Am I crazy to even consider this area????

Thanks!
Some of those are gems....others disasters. Some of the best addresses in LV are within blocks of there. If fully updated and modernized very nice. Note that the odd side of Bryn Mawr backs to Rancho...a street with heavy traffic.

The schools will be difficult. Only good option is the catholic school.

You might also think about McNeil and the others in that area.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 AM

149 posts, read 262,225 times
Crazzzzyyyyy

Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 AM

Thank you olecapt for your response. This house is beautifully remodeled and it does back to the main road, but it has what looks to be an at least 8 foot high wall along the back. Growing up in Missouri our house was wedged in between an interstate and railroad tracks, so the concerns of noise doesn't bother me.

I know from reading on this forum that the general consensus seems to be "the further from the strip the better". We're a gay couple, no kids, so schools really aren't an issue at this time. On the flipside we're not partiers that need to be close to nightlife either. After finding this house my entire plan to live in the northwestern part of town has gone out the window and now I'm just confused.

This house has only been on the market about a week, so I hope it's still available when I get out there next month to house hunt!

Thanks again for your insight olecapt.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 AM

91 posts, read 175,026 times
Its not a great area. I would say that it is very average.

too much traffic around Rancho and Charleston, old homes,

Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGPinPCFL View Post

Thanks!
Olecapt is spot on with his assessment. Those are called "post-modern" homes (and were pretty much sought after during the boom) but only providing the rest of the area is OK. Only seeing it in person for yourself will give you the gut feeling you need.

You really can't do anything until you get here in May. You aren't crazy to be researching any and all areas, it's a buyers market out there. Just do it in person, only then would you be able to make the choice that's right for you and your partner.

Much good luck to you!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas2005 View Post
Its not a great area. I would say that it is very average.

too much traffic around Rancho and Charleston, old homes,
BS

Is a beautiful classy area.....

Old 04-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 29,743 times
Default Drive by

I drove by it today and if anyone ever paid 419k for it they really got took looking at it from the outside. if i had the rite house it aprox two house off oakey.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:32 PM

91 posts, read 175,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
BS

Is a beautiful classy area.....
classy my ass.

You call Texas Station classy?

Palace Station classy?

wow. you have low standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas