Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:39 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,830,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
What concerns about Yucca Mountain? You have to learn to listen...I stated no concerns over Yucca Mountain. I said that tourists will be worried about Yucca Mountain. You live in a society where some significant set of people worry about the President's place of birth. You think the similar people won't worry about Yucca? See the OP.

The feds don't really control the flow of Colorado water. And many of the things they could do to help will likely be found unconstitutional. The states are sovreign in a way...and that way screws up water issues.
Like you said, there are better sites, probably even in Nevada. I don't think that I said that you, personally, had concerns. I know that I don't.

As far as the tourists concerns are concerned, I suspect that once the hoopla is over they will forget about it as will the people who live in Las Vegas. Back in the 50's folks in Las Vegas use to go to rooftops to watch the mushroom clouds, then go back to gambling and drinking. Anybody who is worried about nuclear waste being stored at Yucca Mountain probably wouldn't be happy in Vegas anyway. I do know that those $1000 checks will make most people think that they pulled a fast one on the other 49 States.

The Feds own Hoover Dam, don't they? So, they call another "RIVER COMPACT" review meeting and the other States are told the deal. Take it or leave it. I know that CA and AZ have nuclear power plants. Those california farmers have been getting too much water for way too long anyway. Let them suck on the hind teat for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,378,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Was it "dirty Harry"?

Maybe we should trade Yucca Mountain for a lot more water from the Colorado River and $2 billion a year in user fees?
No it was Osama. But Dirty Harry had always been on the wrong side of the issue and couldn't say anything, even though he has to know he was only taking his stance to get votes, and putting all those Southern Nevadans out of work at this time was a bad idea.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,378,427 times
The WIPP site in Carlsbad, NM, is another similar issue, only they store weapons grade nuke waste. The battle to keep them out of New Mexico was even worse than the Nevada fight. People were demonstrating all over the place. I'd think Carlsbad would be the worst possible place to store nuke waste. It's a honeycomb of caves big enough to hold Connecticut. U.S. Department of Energy Waste Isolation Pilot Plant

Yucca Mountain is on the Test Site. For over 42 years they set off almost 1000 nukes out there, mostly underground. Has that effected tourism? No. Is that worse than storing low level nuke waste in casks in a mountain? Way worse. The arguments used by the Nevada Congressional delegation to win our hearts and minds (and votes) don't hold water and they know it.

As far as tourism, most people I speak to give me a blank look when I mention the Atomic Testing Site, or Yucca Mountain. They have no clue that those things exist, let alone than the main gate to the area lies 65 miles north of Las Vegas. Yucca is 100 miles northwest. Our issues are not top of mind for 99.9% of the people outside of the state.

The next argument was they didn't want it hauled through Las Vegas. Well, I don't think there were any plans to do that anyway. But they should know that there have been trucks running up and down the Interstate Freeways in this country for decades. Next time you drive up LV BL N., past Nellis AFB, on your way to Apex, look to your right. Over there is Lake Mead Base. Those mounds you see in the earth are hiding nuclear weapons. In Albuquerque, they are right there a few hundred yards off I-40 at the eastern edge of town on Kirtland AFB.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:05 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
Quote:
Was it "dirty Harry"?

Maybe we should trade Yucca Mountain for a lot more water from the Colorado River and $2 billion a year in user fees?

BINGO....the EXACT reason I am against Yucca Mt. We got NOTHING in return....it was shoved up our

They want it here, then lets negotiate.

Last edited by dynimagelv; 04-20-2011 at 05:18 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 04:38 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times
Quote:
Like you said, there are better sites, probably even in Nevada. I don't think that I said that you, personally, had concerns. I know that I don't.

As far as the tourists concerns are concerned, I suspect that once the hoopla is over they will forget about it as will the people who live in Las Vegas. Back in the 50's folks in Las Vegas use to go to rooftops to watch the mushroom clouds, then go back to gambling and drinking. Anybody who is worried about nuclear waste being stored at Yucca Mountain probably wouldn't be happy in Vegas anyway. I do know that those $1000 checks will make most people think that they pulled a fast one on the other 49 States.

The Feds own Hoover Dam, don't they? So, they call another "RIVER COMPACT" review meeting and the other States are told the deal. Take it or leave it. I know that CA and AZ have nuclear power plants. Those california farmers have been getting too much water for way too long anyway. Let them suck on the hind teat for awhile.
I believe the last compact led to litigation that lasted well over 50 years...and mostly AZ won at the end. The feds own the dam...but they don't own the water.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,830,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I believe the last compact led to litigation that lasted well over 50 years...and mostly AZ won at the end. The feds own the dam...but they don't own the water.
Yeah, dealing with the Compact would be a pain in the ass. However, the feds do operate the system and they are the ones who set up the reductions for NV, AZ, and CA if the lake level reaches a certain level, like 1075 ft. Nothing says that they couldn't change that decision.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 AM

19 posts, read 39,657 times
Hello,

Thanks for the replies and information

Bye Rachel

Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,517,978 times
She (and her mom) were last seen running for Canada!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:13 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,954,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobe gal View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking of relocating to Nevada with my mom?

My mom is worried about nuclear waste in Nevada?

Do you know where can get accurate information on where they used to test nuclear waste and information where it's burried.

How far from Las Vegas?

Thanks Rachel
Rachel Here are some articles that may be helpful the first one address's what I think your mom may have been talking about.
And the second article is a little known problem that some new comers have encountered when they have moved to Henderson , most people hear about this happening in Arizona but not have known about the same problem exists in Henderson not all people that move to Henderson have experienced it but some have.

If your thinking of purchasing in Henderson you may want to read this to see where this super clean up site is in relation to where you want to purchase.

State gets $81 million to clean up Henderson industrial site

Source: Las Vegas Sun

If your looking to purchase a property in Henderson you may want to know this.
It's not meant to scare you but to make you aware of a possible health issue that could arise when moving to the valley.

Victims say disease deadly, debilitating - News - ReviewJournal.com

Sep 13, 2009 ... Victims say disease deadly, debilitating. The book "Valley Fever Epidemic" shows in red the area where the disease has been found. ...
www.lvrj.com/news/59169147.html

Every area in and around Las Vegas has some kind if issue and moving to any area you need to do your due diligence to find out which area best suits you.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
Rachel Here are some articles that may be helpful the first one address's what I think your mom may have been talking about.
And the second article is a little known problem that some new comers have encountered when they have moved to Henderson , most people hear about this happening in Arizona but not have known about the same problem exists in Henderson not all people that move to Henderson have experienced it but some have.

If your thinking of purchasing in Henderson you may want to read this to see where this super clean up site is in relation to where you want to purchase.

State gets $81 million to clean up Henderson industrial site

Source: Las Vegas Sun

If your looking to purchase a property in Henderson you may want to know this.
It's not meant to scare you but to make you aware of a possible health issue that could arise when moving to the valley.

Victims say disease deadly, debilitating - News - ReviewJournal.com

Sep 13, 2009 ... Victims say disease deadly, debilitating. The book "Valley Fever Epidemic" shows in red the area where the disease has been found. ...
www.lvrj.com/news/59169147.html

Every area in and around Las Vegas has some kind if issue and moving to any area you need to do your due diligence to find out which area best suits you.
Can't you find something better to do with your time? While there are valid concerns about valley fever in AZ and parts of CA it is pretty much a non-starter in Las Vegas.

In 2010 there were 69 cases reported. This is in comparison to 264 cases of HIV, 180 cases of syphilis and 1580 cases of Gonorrhea.

I am sure you could get killed by lightning on a golf course too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas