Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 AM

270 posts, read 534,901 times

Advertisements

Moving to LV early July and narrowing down apartment choices. Will rent for about a year, then buy. What do you think of the following apartment possibilities? Feel free to rank by choice. Thanks!

3151 Soaring Gulls Drive 89128

3150 Soft Breezes 89128

1901 Rio Canyon 89148

7632 Pacific Hills Avenue 89128

If you happen to know of another rental option that will put me within fifteen minutes travel time to the Hillpointe Road/Spring Gate Lane area of Summerlin, please share.

Thanks All!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 02:31 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,836,242 times
3150 Soft Breezes is not an apartment complex. It is part of Mar A lago condos. There are not very many rental units in there. All units purchased after 2005 must be owner occupied. We have a condo there and are happy with it.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,194,925 times
What you are looking at is the condo complexes known as Villas at Desert Shores, Mar-a-Lago, La Posada and Adagio.

You don't want Villas at Desert Shores. Other than that the others are all livable and roughly of the same order. I would prefer Mar-a-Lago but it really would depend on what unit.

Note that you are well ahead of yourself if I understand your schedule. You cannot rent a place until the month before you are willing to start paying the rent.

When you get 5 or 6 weeks out get one of the RE Agents on here to send you a list of the condos and small homes.

Then you should make a weekend trip and pick one.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
What you are looking at is the condo complexes known as Villas at Desert Shores, Mar-a-Lago, La Posada and Adagio.

You don't want Villas at Desert Shores. Other than that the others are all livable and roughly of the same order. I would prefer Mar-a-Lago but it really would depend on what unit.

Note that you are well ahead of yourself if I understand your schedule. You cannot rent a place until the month before you are willing to start paying the rent.

When you get 5 or 6 weeks out get one of the RE Agents on here to send you a list of the condos and small homes.

Then you should make a weekend trip and pick one.
Thanks so much for the tips. I think I am on track in terms of timing---you say I'm well ahead of myself for renting, but I need a place as of mid-July, so it seems prudent to narrow it down now so that I can secure a place for July 1 (which is nearly 6 weeks from now). Since I'm heading out third week of June to secure a place, it just seems best to narrow places down now.

By the way---which one of the addresses would put me in Villas as Desert Shores?

Old 05-15-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
Thanks so much for the tips. I think I am on track in terms of timing---you say I'm well ahead of myself for renting, but I need a place as of mid-July, so it seems prudent to narrow it down now so that I can secure a place for July 1 (which is nearly 6 weeks from now). Since I'm heading out third week of June to secure a place, it just seems best to narrow places down now.

By the way---which one of the addresses would put me in Villas as Desert Shores?
3151 Soaring Gull.

You don't really provide enough info for a rational choice. You don't for instance have Red Hills on the list, which is far and away nicer and the closest to your school. Or the nice condos towards the village center area of Summerlin. It may be that these are too expensive or something...but there are a lot more than you are listing. At the similar price point there are some units in Painted Desert...that just meets your 15 minutes. Or up next to Lone Mountain...

Old 05-15-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
3151 Soaring Gull.

You don't really provide enough info for a rational choice. You don't for instance have Red Hills on the list, which is far and away nicer and the closest to your school. Or the nice condos towards the village center area of Summerlin. It may be that these are too expensive or something...but there are a lot more than you are listing. At the similar price point there are some units in Painted Desert...that just meets your 15 minutes. Or up next to Lone Mountain...
I'm looking to spend no more than 750/month if possible. These listings are those I've found online. One bedroom is all that's necessary. I'll check out Red Hills---never heard of it---but thanks for suggestion. Since I'll be purchasing a home once mine NJ sells, this rental will (hopefully) be for just one year, thus the reason for hanging on to my money and not going for an expensive rental. Given that I'll be working 60+ hours a week, no need for anything fancy---I'll hardly be there!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
I'm looking to spend no more than 750/month if possible. These listings are those I've found online. One bedroom is all that's necessary. I'll check out Red Hills---never heard of it---but thanks for suggestion. Since I'll be purchasing a home once mine NJ sells, this rental will (hopefully) be for just one year, thus the reason for hanging on to my money and not going for an expensive rental. Given that I'll be working 60+ hours a week, no need for anything fancy---I'll hardly be there!
Just go for the one in Mar-a-lago. It is safe and reasonably convenient and lower key then the other two. Either of the three will work...but if you are doing the hard labor bit it is probably a little better. Couple of convenient places where you can walk to a meal or a sandwich...library across the street...

Old 05-15-2011, 05:31 PM

412 posts, read 915,768 times
I would prefer La Posada as a condo rental over Mar a Lago. If you care about what's in walking distance, other than the library, there seems to be much more places to go and things to do nearby to La Posada and the neighborhood is nice, plus you have Pueblo Park next to it. You can walk to a nice Vons and Whole Foods vs the Albertsons near Mar A Lago.

There should be more rental units to choose from at La Posada since they can be rented without the restrictions at Mar a Lago.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
I would prefer La Posada as a condo rental over Mar a Lago. If you care about what's in walking distance, other than the library, there seems to be much more places to go and things to do nearby to La Posada and the neighborhood is nice, plus you have Pueblo Park next to it. You can walk to a nice Vons and Whole Foods vs the Albertsons near Mar A Lago.

There should be more rental units to choose from at La Posada since they can be rented without the restrictions at Mar a Lago.
La Posada is vastly more renter and undesirable tenant than Mar-a-lago. It is not nearly as nice a place. You can live there but you may find it a bit harrowing walking to your car at night.

If you are an investor it is no big deal. If you are a female out after dark it is.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:15 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,763,161 times
Quote:
...you may find it a bit harrowing walking to your car at night.
You're wrong, it's a convenient and safe location. I would have bought there except I found the condos and the complex to be uninspiring and when I looked at the severity of negative equity held by the majority of it's owners I knew it was just a matter of time until the place slid into the abyss.

For a renter La Posada is not a bad choice, much better than Mar-A-Lago, which, when I checked a few years back, had too many registered sex offenders in residence (not sure how it is now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas