Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 PM

236 posts, read 627,944 times

Advertisements

Never lived or visited a gated community before. Like the ones off Vista Run.

How does the whole non guard "gated" thing work?

Do you use a key or a push button from your car? What if you're out jogging / taking a walk. Do you have to carry a fob around your neck?

Can you buzz people in from your house? What about pizza deliveries / visitors, etc.?

Just curious before I begin my intense house search. Clueless here.

Thanks in advance for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentmax View Post
Never lived or visited a gated community before. Like the ones off Vista Run.

How does the whole non guard "gated" thing work?
Get yourself an agent. You are too naive to be loose by yourself..

Quote:
Do you use a key or a push button from your car? What if you're out jogging / taking a walk. Do you have to carry a fob around your neck?
Owner cars use transponders. Joggers mostly use keys.

Quote:
Can you buzz people in from your house? What about pizza deliveries / visitors, etc.?
The entry box calls the phone number you have listed. You answer and send the right tone and the gate opens. Virtually all Pizza guys will know a code even if it the police fireman one.

Quote:
Just curious before I begin my intense house search. Clueless here.

Thanks in advance for any info
It cuts down through traffic. It discourages random visitors. It does nothing for security against bad guys.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:32 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
IMHO... Gates are a false sense of security.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:36 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Gates don't stop crime, but they can make it too much trouble. When Ch-3 first moved into the building on Foremaster Lane we were losing batteries out of cars every night. We closed off the escape route out the back of the lot, and it stopped the burglaries. I live in a gated community and we've had a few homes burglarized, but we feel it would probably be worse without the gate. One was an inside job, and one backs onto the main drag, and easy to get over the wall.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 AM

236 posts, read 627,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Virtually all Pizza guys will know a code even if it the police fireman one.
Whaaaat ??!??

That can't be too good now

Thanks for the info Olecapt and Buzz

I guess it would be more secure in a guard gated community / highrise.

Only reason I am concerned of this is I'm not home 1/3 of the year

P.S. Can you give a temporary access code for the gardener / contract worker while you are not home?

Last edited by rentmax; 06-22-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentmax View Post
Whaaaat ??!??

That can't be too good now

Thanks for the info Olecapt and Buzz

I guess it would be more secure in a guard gated community / high rise.

Only reason I am concerned of this is I'm not home 1/3 of the year

P.S. Can you give a temporary access code for the gardener / contract worker while you are not home?
It depends on the HOA rules about friends, relatives, and service people, but emergency services, UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc., always have access. My new next door neighbors will only be in the house 1/3rd of the year. They have a private security company to check on it, a pool guy, and gardeners, all with the gate code. The new owners were here two days, then went back to WI until fall. But for the last two days I've seen all kinds of people stopping at their place, even someone taking pictures. I told them I'd keep an eye on it, but I don't know who is authorized so I've already thrown up my hands. I think everyone in our community has had to give an entry code to maids, gardeners, dog sitters, etc. For whatever it's worth, each family has a different set of codes. I think the best system might be the angry old vigilantes in Del Webb's Sun City. They fired their security people and now have a roving patrols of grumpy, dyspeptic, volunteer residents with golf clubs, driving around checking things out. I don't ever want to get caught in there after dark.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
When did olecapt move there???????????

Old 06-22-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
When did olecapt move there???????????
I think he's got his own over-the-hill gang down the road from me. Utilizes wild cats as enforcers. I drive way around that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas