Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:38 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,572,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Sorry. I explained the nature of a progressive exactly the same way you did. The odds of hitting the jackpot do not change but the reward increases and will eventually end up positive...that is the reward is greater than the cost of getting it. I declined to quote the present case as I do not know the odds of hitting the jackpot. The only thing I can think of where I might have erred is that I don't know the structure for megabucks and it to may turn positive on occassion.

You seem to think this is a complex matter. It is not. It is quite simple. I am sure there are tons and tons of detail of interest to those who practice it but the underlying is quite simple.
How can you ever say what the cost of getting the jackpot is? You could spend $5 as I've seen many times or you could sit there for the rest of your life and never get it. Trying to put a spin on it doesn't change anything. The odds are exactly the same each spin regardless of any past spins or whether the machine hasn't hit for 10,000 years. Whatever "positive" aspect is seen about one's odds is purely made up in their mind. Even if they do show up with a trillion dollars and the jackpot amount has raised significantly.

The only thing you can say with any amount of certainty is that it's going to cost you at least $3 to win. Beyond that, further speculation is useless.

Last edited by unf0rgiven6262; 07-31-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 02:18 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
How can you ever say what the cost of getting the jackpot is? You could spend $5 as I've seen many times or you could sit there for the rest of your life and never get it. Trying to put a spin on it doesn't change anything. The odds are exactly the same each spin regardless of any past spins or whether the machine hasn't hit for 10,000 years. Whatever "positive" aspect is seen about one's odds is purely made up in their mind. Even if they do show up with a trillion dollars and the jackpot amount has raised significantly.

The only thing you can say with any amount of certainty is that it's going to cost you at least $3 to win. Beyond that, further speculation is useless.
The cost of a spin is $3.00. If the machine pays back 80% without the jackpot the cost of each spin is $3.00 - $2.40 or $.60. If the odds are a million to one you have a probability of .000001 of winning the 2.2 Million. So you get a chance worth about $2.20 for your expense of $.60. So a favorable condition where you are making a bet with rewards over cost of about 3.6 times.

Now I don't actually know what the odds are of winning. I don't even know if they are published but I would think so. But if you know the odds you can calculate what the transaction does.

There is of course the possibility of an error preventing a win. But that should have been eliminated by the gaming control people when they examined the random number generator.

I will personally hit that machine for $15 or so the next time I go past MGM. Just for the heck of saying I actually played a slot machine with an advantage to the player.

That will have consume 15% of the Admiral's annual black jack fund. So it will likely never be repeated.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:25 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,644,582 times
And I agree, I also will put some $$ toward that machine, for the same reason, Small risk, big payoff.
AND... Bragging rights.

Jonathan

Old 07-31-2011, 02:34 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
And I agree, I also will put some $$ toward that machine, for the same reason, Small risk, big payoff.
AND... Bragging rights.

Jonathan
And neither one of you better win, so it is there for me to win when I get there.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:00 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,954,362 times
Well, be sure to report back and let me know if you see any of those elusive circles zipping by!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:07 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,644,582 times
I will take a picture of all three of them (in a row on the centerline)

Jonathan

Old 07-31-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I will take a picture of all three of them (in a row on the centerline)

Jonathan

HAHA! I hope you do! Of course, I would rather be the one doing it, but if I am not...would be nice to at least virtually know the person who does! And if you get 3 anywhere it is $10K...not bad either!

*still can't rep ya....I'm off to spread it around so I can....

Old 07-31-2011, 04:09 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,918,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Well if someone does win $2.2 Million they may go from Dem. to Repub. and be against taxing the rich.
Problem is, it seems to always be someone who is already rich who wins these mega jackpots.

That or some elderly person whose home is paid for with a big-ass RV in the driveway.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Problem is, it seems to always be someone who is already rich who wins these mega jackpots.

That or some elderly person whose home is paid for with a big-ass RV in the driveway.
Yeah. They have more time to play. Speaking of that, went to Rampart the other day...it is all older people. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, just a thing. Definitely hard to get somewhere fast there!

Old 07-31-2011, 05:55 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Yeah. They have more time to play. Speaking of that, went to Rampart the other day...it is all older people. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, just a thing. Definitely hard to get somewhere fast there!
I resemble that remark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: