Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM

186 posts, read 434,431 times

Advertisements

OK, it's time to get a dog I've been all over the web looking at local (and not so local) shelters and rescue groups. Specifically we (I) want a big dog (like a mastiff) with a short coat, but there don't seem to be many dogs locally that fit our requirements (kids and cat), or shelters that don't make "breed experience" a requirement. I grew up with a 150 lb dog, but haven't had any dog since.

Anyway, just looking for any adoption experience, good or bad. About the dogs or about the shelter staff. I've read stories about shelters refusing adoptions. No way to tell how legit (or reasonable) the stories are. Recommendations appreciated. HOA and lease have already been checked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 03:26 PM

709 posts, read 2,181,557 times
I've gotten dogs and cats from the Lied Animal Shelter on Pecos, no problems.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
I've seen mastiffs and rotties on CL too.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,312 times
Well I can tell you I really dislike NVSPCA-bunch of idiots working there & it smells awful, too. I feel like they rather hang on to animals & beg for donations than get them adopted.

I have never had any problems at Lied. It's a lot cleaner than NVSPCA, employees are pleasant etc. plus I rather adopt an animal that needs a home a.s.a.p. Have you checked out Petfinder?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:16 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
We used Lied for the last cat (the Maine Coon who was in such miserable shape I am not sure he would have made it through there - Got saved by his personality). Lied was fine.

We got the dog from the Rescue outfit at PetSmart at Lake Mead and Rainbow. Note that is I suspect actually a commercial or semicommercial operation. They mark up the price on "cute" animals. Note that the big boys are real cheap...they are hard to get rid of apparently. What amazed me is they were bringing their animals in from Bakersfield CA. Apparently they can't get access to the local stuff.

Happy hunting. We always enjoy the hunt.

The neatest one we ever did was a cat called Clarence from the animal shelter in Seal Beach CA. We got him just as we were moving to Las Vegas so we actually had a Las Vegas address. We got the third and fourth degree about our ability to handle this cat which was actually in the shelter sick bay. The thought that anyone adopting a cat and taking to Vegas was up to something. Then we got two calls over the next two weeks making sure Clarence was OK. I think she wanted us to put him on the phone so he could testify to his good health.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 PM

CL? Kinda scares me for animals honestly...

NVSPCA is where I read bad stories about. Heard good & bad about the place that goes to the petsmart or whatever it was (can't see thread replies while typing my response on the phone).

Olcapt - your cats don't take phone calls?? =P

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:02 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13blackcats View Post
CL? Kinda scares me for animals honestly...

NVSPCA is where I read bad stories about. Heard good & bad about the place that goes to the petsmart or whatever it was (can't see thread replies while typing my response on the phone).

Olcapt - your cats don't take phone calls?? =P

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please excuse typos.
I don't think all of CL is a bad place to go. There are people who want to find a good home so they don't have to use the shelters. Just be picky and ask a lot of questions and don't go to the person's home alone.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:41 PM

508 posts, read 1,022,498 times
Lied Animal Shelter is clean and the staff are nice. there are a lot of animals in there.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,365,413 times
One of our dogs came from NVASPCA and he's a great dog. Somebody trained him well. I had no problems adopting him at all. I do remind him now and then that I bailed him out of the slammer and I can send him back if he isn't careful. He acts like my personal security, always staying by my side. Of course I drop a lot of food.

I haven't been to Lied since they remodeled the place several years ago. At that time it was pretty bad, but they were just getting the new place started. I think most shelters have a lot of big dogs because those are the ones people can't handle, so they give them up.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:59 AM

Wow. I'm not sure which is more depressing, CL or shelters but there was 1 possibility, so thank you for the idea.

I think we will visit a shelter today and contact a couple others. Thanks for all the comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas