Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 12:17 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times

Advertisements

Was reading two seperate articles on crimes geared towards the homeless around the Foremaster lane and downtown area. Its terribly sad that someone would target people that are unfortuante. This just add to their situation. The same thing is happening in Las Angeles also.

Quote:
A string of Los Angeles-area killings has thrust homeless safety into the national spotlight.
Quote:
The previous night, a stranger attacked him in an alley near Fremont Street, knocking him unconscious, he said. He awoke with a sore back and pockets that had been emptied.
Homeless say threat of violence a constant on the streets of Las Vegas - Saturday, Jan. 21, 2012 | 2 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun
Coroner identifies homeless man stabbed to death - Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2012 | 3:22 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun

This is just the lowest of the low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 12:53 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Was reading two seperate articles on crimes geared towards the homeless around the Foremaster lane and downtown area. Its terribly sad that someone would target people that are unfortuante. This just add to their situation. The same thing is happening in Las Angeles also.

This is just the lowest of the low.
And yet we have thousands of vacant houses sitting empty. The fact that we cannot put the homeless into vacant houses should be a source of national shame. We have marginalized an embarrassingly-large segment of society. And a large percentage of that homeless "segment" is made up of veterans who fought for this country. And nothing ever gets done about it. (Might raise our property taxes, after all...)

Old 02-04-2012, 05:01 AM

Wasn't there a recent scam of a couple of guys buying up properties just to rent them out to homeless veterans under some local housing assistant fraud. I will try to find the program name and article.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:27 AM

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...hborhoods.html
Pastor again riles residents - News - ReviewJournal.com

Old 02-04-2012, 05:29 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times
I thought Section 8 was all about helping disabled and veterans but like all good ideas
greed & corruption has ruined it

I thought most homeless where armed, I have read several articles about the 'underground homeless' and there is always talk about knifes, and other type weapons.

The final thought is, the people who are attacking homeless are themselves weak and sick
they always prey on the weaker, its a sad fact.

Jonathan

Old 02-04-2012, 06:05 AM

901 posts, read 1,898,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And yet we have thousands of vacant houses sitting empty. The fact that we cannot put the homeless into vacant houses should be a source of national shame. We have marginalized an embarrassingly-large segment of society. And a large percentage of that homeless "segment" is made up of veterans who fought for this country. And nothing ever gets done about it. (Might raise our property taxes, after all...)
Sorry Scoop, gotta disagree with you here. The only segment of society who would benefit from raising taxes would be the government fed deadbeats who administer such programs.

I don't know what the answer is, but if you think higher taxes are the answer to taking care of our societal problems, all you need to do is take a look at Kalifornia. High taxes and plenty of poor and homeless there too, all the while the state workers get outrageous pay, benefits, and retirement. Are things any better over there?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:35 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I've done enough volunteer work to have a modicum of insight on this problem. I believe the majority of street people out there are mentally ill. Just giving them a home is treating the symptom and 3 months later, most would be back out on the street. These people need medication, therapy, and support to be able to maintain a normal day to day life and do the things most of us don't even think about.

Support is probably the most important thing I mentioned above. They need attention and interaction with 'normal' people to guide them in their daily lives. Someone to provide structure. Many need to be told what to do. They will go to work every day if you tell them to. They will bathe and put on clean clothes if they are told to do so. They will pay their bills and save money to meet those bills with help and advice. Some will get it and learn to do these things on their own. Others need help forever.

These people can be helped and benefit from the aid offered. Some can become contributing members of society again. It takes more than just a place to live. Also a lot of these folks 'dropped out' of life in general. They have to have a reason to 'drop back in'.

Over time, the life you live and the people you encounter become your new normal. It's hard to walk back into a regular life when your normal is living on the street surrounded by those who are mentally ill. You no longer relate to 'normal' people. It takes time and effort to bring about change.

Each and every one of these people have a story and some of them would curl your hair. There was a writer not too long ago who published a book about these folks. I don't remember the exact title but it was something like A Week at the Blue Angel. It was available online and I thought it was an interesting read.

Here's what all these people taught me about homelessness and mental illness. Everyone is one series of disasters away from becoming one of these people. Most of us are lucky and this series of disasters never happens. We just go about our daily activities knowing this could never happen to us. We might even be smug about it. But we all have those buttons and if they are punched in the right order, we can go down the tubes too. Maybe it's good that people don't believe this.

In the big scheme of things, Las Vegas is a good place to be homeless and we will always have more than our share. Quite a few of those 'professional' panhandlers you see every day in the same place have homes and go home from 'work' every day just like we do. They learned they can make more money begging than working at a minimum wage job. This is a different animal and most of those folks are not truly homeless.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:56 PM

241 posts, read 492,260 times
Homelessness is a lifestyle choice in this country flat and simple. I've been to countries and villages where people still live in caves (literally) with holes carved out for windows. They use donkeys, old school wells, and everything that comes with the per-industrial/electrical/plumbing world. They manage.

I do agree a lot of these people have serious mental health issues, but it didn't start that way. They chose to walk down this path and it eventually consumed them. Am I supposed to have sympathy for these people when literally hundreds of millions of humans across the world are actually giving it their all and still falling short? Sorry. I help those who chose to help themselves. If these people have given up, let them fall into oblivion as they so desire. We're all destined for that fate eventually.

With all that said, violence against the homeless is abhorrent, just as violence against anyone is abhorrent. The title of this post reminded me of a mini-arch in the tv show 'The Wire'

Old 02-04-2012, 08:48 PM

460 posts, read 988,139 times
My Week at the Blue Angel ( http://www.beneaththeneon.com/my-week-at-the-blue-angel.asp - broken link)

by Matthew O'Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
There was a writer not too long ago who published a book about these folks. I don't remember the exact title but it was something like A Week at the Blue Angel.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1337 View Post
Homelessness is a lifestyle choice in this country flat and simple. I've been to countries and villages where people still live in caves (literally) with holes carved out for windows. They use donkeys, old school wells, and everything that comes with the per-industrial/electrical/plumbing world. They manage.

I do agree a lot of these people have serious mental health issues, but it didn't start that way. They chose to walk down this path and it eventually consumed them. Am I supposed to have sympathy for these people when literally hundreds of millions of humans across the world are actually giving it their all and still falling short? Sorry. I help those who chose to help themselves. If these people have given up, let them fall into oblivion as they so desire. We're all destined for that fate eventually.

With all that said, violence against the homeless is abhorrent, just as violence against anyone is abhorrent. The title of this post reminded me of a mini-arch in the tv show 'The Wire'
This is quite possibly the most mean-spirited — not to mention incorrect — posts I've ever read on City-Data. You might have been to countries where people live in caves, but you clearly haven't spent much time with those who are experiencing homelessness in the richest country in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas