Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 06:52 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,912 times

Advertisements

I just wonder what, if anything, more we need to do to assist the homeless here. I have noticed that the homeless often hang out at places that are not designed for the homeless. Especially libraries and shopping areas. Often the shelters turn out the homeless in the day time so the go hang out at other places where they sometimes become a nuisance to others. I am beginning to think that we need to maybe have "day hangouts" for the homeless. Air conditioned and heated places where the homeless could go during the day and read, watch TV, get a shower, wash clothes and socialize with other homeless people. And they would be fed a lunch of soup, sandwich and milk. This would hopefully clear them out of other places. And it would not cost that much to run.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
I doubt all homeless people would be willing to be told where to "hang out". You have to remember that many homeless people are mentally ill and march to their own drum.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:03 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
One thing that is quite clear -- we cannot solve poverty by simply throwing money at the problem. P.J. O'Rourke did an outstanding piece about this in his book, Parliament of Whores. Since LBJ, we've spent enough money on "fixing" poverty to ramp every poor person in America up to middle class. Naturally, this is a failed policy.

In that piece, O'Rourke didn't come out and say it. But he obviously felt that the poor people he talked to were ignorant beyond belief. Education is surely the answer. That's where Mr. O'Rourke and I diverge. I'm happy to break out the checkbook every year and write the bigger property tax check, if it means we have as good a school system as P.J. enjoys in New Hampshire.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 PM

My brother is a Homeless Vet in a program in Long Beach, California. I bought him a lap top computer so he could be connected and respond to opportunities for vocational schools and jobs. He spends much time at the local library to stay connected. I think it is what it is. If you ask why I don't welcome him to my home, I don't because he is a crack addict who has stolen from me and conned me out of money in the past. He disappeared for 6 years and just recently reconnected via his counselor.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,359 times
Buy them a bus ticket to Salt Lake City

Old 02-10-2012, 07:13 PM

Better yet, have counselors like the one my brother has who reaches out to family.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,161,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Buy them a bus ticket to Salt Lake City
Sounds like a heartless joke but Salt Lake City has the best programs and infrastructure set up for the homeless. I used to volunteer for the Veterans Homeless Stand Down in SLC every year. Many of the Veterans were migrants from LA and Vegas just for the rehabilitative programs in SLC. Most of it was ran or governed by the Mormon Church. I can easily say that the SLC homeless population does not need for anything and are most likely homeless because they want to be that way.

The Mormon Church even gives aid, special services, housing and straight up money to pregnant teens. And a lot of others that are in need. I have heard all kinds of stories of people receiving help from the church. Not just small help either, I’m talking big help with mortgage, child care and hospital bills. Lots of job training programs available also.

I have also volunteered for the Veterans Stand Down in Vegas and there are a couple of differences that stand out from SLC. Not to say anything bad about the Vegas version of the Stand Down but in Vegas they give the homeless fish to eat. In SLC, they teach the homeless how to fish.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:39 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,570,019 times
Nothing will ever truly change until folks actually care about each other and stop thinking they are a separate island unto themselves to fearfully move through life getting a few $$ until they drop dead.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:01 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Several posts deleted. This thread is going nowhere good fast, and really has nothing to do with Las Vegas specifically. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas