Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
For MLB, I'd call the team....Las Vegas Blackjacks. What would you call them?

For NHL, I'd call the team....Las Vegas Aces. What would you call them?

For NBA, I'd call the team....Las Vegas Diamonds. What would you call them?
Reach..Las Vegas Thongs. Las Vegas Racks. Las Vegas Stays...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 11:04 PM

570 posts, read 1,002,505 times
Maybe a team can make it in Vegas. Most likely an NBA or NHL team. Otherwise various team owners will use Las Vegas as leverage to get a new or better stadium deal elsewhere. In a way similar to various NFL teams using Los Angeles as leverage to get better stadiums built across the country.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 AM

24 posts, read 34,221 times
I don't think so. I mean, maybe an NBA team if it came in with a young superstar and started to win right away. Even then, I have my doubts. A new venue on, or just right off, the strip wouldn't hurt. Getting folks from out of town in there might be the only thing to help keep it alive. Best case scenario, I think Vegas fans would resemble Miami fans. Like them, I simply suspect there would be half-ass support unless they went deep into the playoffs. It just takes a long time and a lot of winning to typically build a good base (OKC seems to be a slight exception), and I don't see a transient city like Vegas making it much easier. Then you have many of the long time locals that seem to be Lakers fans, at least when the Lakers are good, and I don't think most of them will be easily converted.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Reach..Las Vegas Thongs. Las Vegas Racks. Las Vegas Stays...
The problem is the team owners and the league commissioners are all thinking "Las Vegas Bookies." It's simply not going to happen. Not MLB or NFL, at least.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,851,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I know this is going to come off as snarky, but how about we go to the Forum Shops and ask Pete Rose about MLB's stance on gambling? Any league that would benefit this city wouldn't allow a Las Vegas franchise because they're afraid we'd taint their "integrity." (Steroids? No problem. Players committing felonies? Slap them with a suspension. Gambling? No chance in hell. None. Isn't going to happen. Which makes this debate basically academic.)

MLS would probably work because they're desperate for an audience. US soccer has been throwing pizzas at the wall for a generation, hoping something might stick. But the hometown fans already root for Chivas, so MLS would be nothing more than a distraction for them -- unless there are US/Mexico interleague games. And then the Las Vegas team would play the Generals to the Mexico City Globetrotters.

I doubt the rest of the city would be interested in MLS.

Hockey makes no sense in this town at all. So that leaves the NBA. I'd say that's our best bet -- they could play at the MGM arena, that's plenty of venue for an NBA team. Merchandising alone would take care of the revenue stream, so long as they can nab one superstar player.

I'd say that's our best chance. But it's still a long shot. (And I wouldn't go to any NBA games. I'd rather watch paint dry than 48 minutes of fast break after fast break.)
Desperate for an audience???? WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. MLS Stadium Locations & Attendance Comparison by Mike Firpo - SoccerNewsday.com MLS has awesome attendance and new soccer-only stadiums are being built. The San Jose Earthquakes draw 50,000 fans at the university and their new state-of-the-art stadium should be ready for next season. Montreal's new stadium just opened recently. Kansas City is doing great with attendance as is Seattle, Portland and the Los Angeles Galaxy. Look at your neighbor up the freeway, Salt Lake City, which has their 18,000+ stadium for Real Salt Lake, Rio Tinto Stadium, in Sandy, Utah. They sell out almost every game and when they don't sell out they are less than 2,000 tickets from selling out. MLS works because the salary cap is very, very low. Something around $2.6 million. Fan Fuel: Is there an MLS salary cap? - sportsnet.ca Some players only earn around $45,000 a season. MLS has the best model in all of sports. The stadium sizes are perfect and they can be expanded. MLS would work in Las Vegas. Ticket prices and food prices are low and a family of four can go out and enjoy a match without breaking the bank like they do when they go see an NBA game or NFL game. Kids love soccer and soccer is the future.

PS. GO REAL SALT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shout it out loud, REAL!

Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Desperate for an audience???? WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. MLS Stadium Locations & Attendance Comparison by Mike Firpo - SoccerNewsday.com MLS has awesome attendance and new soccer-only stadiums are being built. The San Jose Earthquakes draw 50,000 fans at the university and their new state-of-the-art stadium should be ready for next season. Montreal's new stadium just opened recently. Kansas City is doing great with attendance as is Seattle, Portland and the Los Angeles Galaxy. Look at your neighbor up the freeway, Salt Lake City, which has their 18,000+ stadium for Real Salt Lake, Rio Tinto Stadium, in Sandy, Utah. They sell out almost every game and when they don't sell out they are less than 2,000 tickets from selling out. MLS works because the salary cap is very, very low. Something around $2.6 million. Fan Fuel: Is there an MLS salary cap? - sportsnet.ca Some players only earn around $45,000 a season. MLS has the best model in all of sports. The stadium sizes are perfect and they can be expanded. MLS would work in Las Vegas. Ticket prices and food prices are low and a family of four can go out and enjoy a match without breaking the bank like they do when they go see an NBA game or NFL game. Kids love soccer and soccer is the future.

PS. GO REAL SALT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shout it out loud, REAL!
Well said! I am a huge soccer fan, so I am loving the rush of success that MLS has been having with their attendance numbers.

Also, Euro 2012 ratings were quite high.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:39 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,347,420 times
According to today's LV Sun, the arena and stadium proposals aren't as dead as it seems. There hasn't been much publicity lately, but apparently a lot of things are happening behind the scenes.

Story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: